Longo vs Steele

I'd agree in the passing game, but not the running game.

I just have a wait and see attitude. Hopefully we see improvement over what we saw at AtM. Going into that game we didn't expect much of a pass rush, but were pressuring their QB all night. Need to see that against UNC.

I'm expecting our offense to run it down UNC's throat. I think they'll come out with 8-9 in the box to shut our run game down like MTSU. We'll pass to set up the run (I hope), but the run game will keep the UNC offense on the sideline.

I expect some RPO and quick passes to kill that loaded box scheme. Something Gattis didn't do against MTSU.

The most disappointing thing to me about Gattis thus far is an inability or unwillingness to change on the fly. You can't say the defense ran something they didn't show on film so our plays were ineffective. He seemed to double down on his game plan play calling rather than adapting. I don't remember seeing 1 screen pass against MTSU. I thought he should have ran that RPO quick screen to the stacked WR that Richt would run over and over until the defense stopped it.

It's like Gattis doesn't want to abandon his game plan. I get that, but it's chess. If he'd run some other plays to get the defense out of the scheme they were playing, he could go back to his game plan.

I want to see a lot more versatility from Gattis this week and moving forward.

OK. I'm done with my rant.

You can't give Steele a pass either. TVD was off but we started the game throwing to get them out of the loaded box. Just went down hill from there and the defense couldn't keep them from big plays.

If you tell me before the game we score 31 on MTSU I would be disappointed but I still figure our defense to hold them under that.

Advertisement
You can't give Steele a pass either. TVD was off but we started the game throwing to get them out of the loaded box. Just went down hill from there and the defense couldn't keep them from big plays.

If you tell me before the game we score 31 on MTSU I would be disappointed but I still figure our defense to hold them under that.
I didn't give Steele a pass. I just didn't comment in this thread about him. I have several posts about the coverage schemes in the MTSU game against 4 WR sets.

He's a smart well seasoned coach and I expect that to be fixed as does UNC.

I appreciate Steele taking full responsibility unlike what we would have heard from Diaz. Steele did say our guys did some things they hadn't done at any point since he's be here. My translation was that he was so confident in his guys that he was playing certain defenses where we got beat deep. He said they will correct and adjust.

I didn't give Steele a pass. I just didn't comment in this thread about him. I have several posts about the coverage schemes in the MTSU game against 4 WR sets.

He's a smart well seasoned coach and I expect that to be fixed as does UNC.

I appreciate Steele taking full responsibility unlike what we would have heard from Diaz. Steele did say our guys did some things they hadn't done at any point since he's be here. My translation was that he was so confident in his guys that he was playing certain defenses where we got beat deep. He said they will correct and adjust.

Agreed

Ivey gonna Ivey

But our 2 starting safeties played bad and it’s no surprise the defense got burnt

I'd agree in the passing game, but not the running game.

I just have a wait and see attitude. Hopefully we see improvement over what we saw at AtM. Going into that game we didn't expect much of a pass rush, but were pressuring their QB all night. Need to see that against UNC.

I'm expecting our offense to run it down UNC's throat. I think they'll come out with 8-9 in the box to shut our run game down like MTSU. We'll pass to set up the run (I hope), but the run game will keep the UNC offense on the sideline.

I expect some RPO and quick passes to kill that loaded box scheme. Something Gattis didn't do against MTSU.

The most disappointing thing to me about Gattis thus far is an inability or unwillingness to change on the fly. You can't say the defense ran something they didn't show on film so our plays were ineffective. He seemed to double down on his game plan play calling rather than adapting. I don't remember seeing 1 screen pass against MTSU. I thought he should have ran that RPO quick screen to the stacked WR that Richt would run over and over until the defense stopped it.

It's like Gattis doesn't want to abandon his game plan. I get that, but it's chess. If he'd run some other plays to get the defense out of the scheme they were playing, he could go back to his game plan.

I want to see a lot more versatility from Gattis this week and moving forward.

OK. I'm done with my rant.

ALL OF THIS!

Hammer, meet nail on the head.

Advertisement
Back