Longo vs Steele

Astcloud11

Senior
Premium
Divisional rivals in the SEC West for 2 years. They'll meet again for the first time since 2018. Would be even better to compare them if UNC played Auburn in 2020, but that game was canceled due to COVID schedule changes.

Game 1 (2017):
Shea Patterson at QB with a freshman DK Metcalf
-5.3 YPP which was it's 2nd worse performance of the year (vs Alabama was the worst at 4.6)
-83 Rushing yards
-346 Passing Yards
-23 Points scored (3rd lowest output of the season behind vs California and Alabama)
-1 Sack, 3 TFL by Steele's defense
-8 of 18 on 3rd down (44%)

Game 2 (2018):
Trash QB with DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, and a freshman Elijah Moore
-5.2 YPP, 3 teams performed better than Steele's defense here
-123 Rushing yards
-324 Passing yards
-16 Points scored. 2 teams held this offense under 10 points this year, Steele's defense would've made 3 if they didn't give up a garbage time TD.'
-6 Sacks, 7 TFL by Steele's defense
-6 of 17 on 3rd down (35%)

No turnovers by Longo's offense in either game. 2017 Ole Miss offense was legit, UNC's 2022 offense is on par, or better. I also don't expect us to get the Sacks that 2018 got based on our pass rush. Both Auburn defenses had better CB play, but a bunch of pass interferences...they were very physical. A few long passes also dropped by Ole Miss WR's.

Game Film:

Last edited:
Advertisement
Divisional rivals in the SEC West for 2 years. They'll meet again for the first time since 2018. Would be even better to compare them if UNC played Auburn in 2020, but that game was canceled due to COVID schedule changes.

Game 1 (2017):
Shea Patterson at QB with a freshman DK Metcalf
-5.3 YPP which was it's 2nd worse performance of the year (vs Alabama was the worst at 4.6)
-83 Rushing yards
-346 Passing Yards
-23 Points scored (3rd lowest output of the season behind vs California and Alabama)
-1 Sack, 3 TFL by Steele's defense
-8 of 18 on 3rd down (44%)

Game 2 (2018):
Trash QB with DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, and a freshman Elijah Moore
-5.2 YPP, 3 teams performed better than Steele's defense here
-123 Rushing yards
-324 Passing yards
-16 Points scored. 2 teams held this offense under 10 points this year, Steele's defense would've made 3 if they didn't give up a garbage time TD.'
-6 Sacks, 7 TFL by Steele's defense
-6 of 17 on 3rd down (35%)

No turnovers by Longo's offense in either game. 2017 Ole Miss offense was legit, UNC's 2022 offense is on par, or better. I also don't expect us to get the Sacks that 2018 got based on our pass rush. Both Auburn defenses had better CB play, but a bunch of pass interferences...they were very physical. A few long passes also dropped by Ole Miss WR's.

Game Film:

Lack of pass rush is our biggest issue fux a PFF grade our DE 💩.

Advertisement
Very strange and I’m sure I’m in the minority here, but this is the first game that has me really fired up this season. Not really sure why….I just wasn’t into the A&M game like I normally am, but I am fully invested here. ACC maybe? Desperation now that the season is on the brink? Idk, but I hope the kids and staff feel the same way.

I’ve been very disappointed by Steele outside of the A&M game and we know their offense is terrible. But I still think he’s a better coach than what this defense has shown. He should now know exactly what he can and can not call for the team to be successful

Advertisement
Very strange and I’m sure I’m in the minority here, but this is the first game that has me really fired up this season. Not really sure why….I just wasn’t into the A&M game like I normally am, but I am fully invested here. ACC maybe? Desperation now that the season is on the brink? Idk, but I hope the kids and staff feel the same way.
I'm getting that very same itch. I think we pull out one of those wow games.

Feld and Mario responsible for the defensive speed?
Only if Mario is forcing the personnel choices. ****, we had good personnel in on the 98 yarder BUT didn't call the correct coverage. You could also look at it as not having good personnel in as well. Why try to delay blitz 4 & 0 when we have others that can get home faster without delay?

Advertisement
Advertisement
We dont bring blitz, dline cant even dominate mtsu.. We getting cooked
How does a defensive line dominate against AtM, but looked disinterested against MTSU?

It's about mental preparation, effort, and "want to" or rather the lack of it. We see it every week in college football. Teams take weaker opponents for granted. They're not mentally ready to battle and then they find themselves in a dog fight.

Our rush defense is only giving up 87.5 yards per game. That's 11th behind #10 Alabama and ahead of #12 Georgia. The pass defense is 94th in yards allowed at 251 yrd/gm. It's skewed upward because of the MTSU game. We'll see if that was an anomaly or not this week. For reference, UNC is #102 in passing yrd/gm allowed and Clemson is #106.

I'm expecting Mario & company to make this a statement game. They've had 2 weeks to prepare. We have a lot of recruits attending. I expect them to come out firing on both sides of the ball relentless for 4 quarters.

They need to be the team we expected them to be when the season started.

Last edited:
How does a defensive line dominate against AtM, but looked disinterested against MTSU?

It's about mental preparation, effort, and "want to" or rather the lack of it. We see it every week in college football. Teams take weaker opponents for granted. They're not mentally ready to battle and then they find themselves in a dog fight.

I'm expecting Mario & company to make this a statement game. They've had 2 weeks to prepare. We have a lot of recruits attending. I expect them to come out firing on both sides of the ball relentless for 4 quarters.

They need to be the team we expected them to be when the season started.
Jimbo also runs an offense that will make any defense look better than it is.

Jimbo also runs an offense that will make any defense look better than it is.
I'd agree in the passing game, but not the running game.

I just have a wait and see attitude. Hopefully we see improvement over what we saw at AtM. Going into that game we didn't expect much of a pass rush, but were pressuring their QB all night. Need to see that against UNC.

I'm expecting our offense to run it down UNC's throat. I think they'll come out with 8-9 in the box to shut our run game down like MTSU. We'll pass to set up the run (I hope), but the run game will keep the UNC offense on the sideline.

I expect some RPO and quick passes to kill that loaded box scheme. Something Gattis didn't do against MTSU.

The most disappointing thing to me about Gattis thus far is an inability or unwillingness to change on the fly. You can't say the defense ran something they didn't show on film so our plays were ineffective. He seemed to double down on his game plan play calling rather than adapting. I don't remember seeing 1 screen pass against MTSU. I thought he should have ran that RPO quick screen to the stacked WR that Richt would run over and over until the defense stopped it.

It's like Gattis doesn't want to abandon his game plan. I get that, but it's chess. If he'd run some other plays to get the defense out of the scheme they were playing, he could go back to his game plan.

I want to see a lot more versatility from Gattis this week and moving forward.

OK. I'm done with my rant.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back