Lockhart talks about the switch

datcaneguy

Senior
Fork Union (VA) Military Academy WR Robert Lockhart was a Virginia Tech commitment.

Until today.

He called Hokie coaches and then Cane coaches, decommitting to Miami.

He's Miami's third commitment of the day, joining Deon Bush and Tyriq McCord.

"I just committed," "I talked to coach (Al) Golden.He was excited and I think a little surprised."

Of why he chose UM, Lockhart said, "It's close to home. I didn't want to leave home, and my family wanted me at home. And I like Miami's receivers coach. He's down to earth, a cool guy."

Lockhart says "it was a close decision" and that Virginia Tech coaches "were upset (when he gave them the news). But they wished me the best."

He hopes to graduate early but says it's not set in stone - "I'm waiting for my test score, should get it soon," he said. "I'll most likely come in early."

Lockhart said an official visit to Miami last month had him rethinking his Virginia Tech commitment - "It went really well," he said.

But he wasn't sure of the decision until today.

He says a couple of friends helped sway him.

High school friend Corey King, who is a Cane, and Fork Union Military roommate Taylor Gadbois, who is a UM commitment, pushed hard for him to switch.

"Taylor, he definitely helped convince me," Lockhart said.

Lockhart's freshman goals as a Cane with a thin receiving corps?

"I want to get on the field right away," he said, "make big-time plays and be All-ACC First Team as a freshman."

Advertisement
Advertisement
Gadbois seems like the kind of kid who would literally kill for this program. He's quickly becoming a favorite. Excited to see what he brings to the field.

Advertisement
From TOS:

This guy is a really good overall athlete with explosive change-of-direction and nice overall speed. He is tall and wiry with a lean, muscular build yet is still pretty fluid through the hips. He is a guy capable of stretching the field with an explosive first step off the ball. Gets into routes quickly and has great feet to set up defenders, create double moves and separation out of the break. He is a natural playmaker with soft, reliable hands both on the run and when attacking the deep ball thrown behind him.

Is a good leaper that has focus and sideline awareness in the vertical passing game. He can be utilized in all three phases of the passing game. As an underneath receiver, he plucks on the run on slants, crossing routes and immediately gets upfield after the catch. Has flexible wiggle in the open field with a low bases to maintain his feet, make people miss and gain yards after the catch.

Lockhart is not very big or physical, but he plays hard and big when the ball is in the air and appears to have no problem working the middle of the field in traffic. We are a bit surprised that Lockhart hasn't received earlier attention during his senior year or heading into it. Good prospect that have real upside to develop at the next level.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back