Live Thread Updates: Under Armour Miami

Advertisement
Collins told me today he wants Miami to “show him something” on the field this year. Sounded unsure of his commitment at the moment. I’ll have his interview posted soon and people can decide for themselves
Can’t say I blame him, the kid has hung through last year’s debacle but can see him flying the coop if we blow it this year. Have to keep the momentum of the off-season into the actual season and win big.

Isn’t the rap on Collins that his mom wants him at UM and she wont let him decommit? I thought I read that on here.

That said, win and look good doing it and things will play out in our favor by Dec. It’s really just that simple. Who the **** wanted to go to Clemson 10-15 years ago? Now everyone wants to get on the Death Valley express. It’s not a secret what happened.

Advertisement
Isn’t the rap on Collins that his mom wants him at UM and she wont let him decommit? I thought I read that on here.

That said, win and look good doing it and things will play out in our favor by Dec. It’s really just that simple. Who the **** wanted to go to Clemson 10-15 years ago? Now everyone wants to get on the Death Valley express. It’s not a secret what happened.

The mom hasn't let him decommit. Ivins just flipped his CB though. He feels it's just a matter of time before she gives in after yesterday's visit..

The guy is incredible long - but he stops his feet the moment he reaches. He's long enough to wait for the defender and still punch first. That's something that can be corrected with reps and practice.

That's what every bit of film he has shows. He's a reacher and that's a cardinal sin at this level. I kept seeing people say he has good feet when we were recruiting him and I just don't see it. Seems slow footed and that's before he adds the weight he'll need to even compete in college. I'm just not seeing it with him to be completely honest.

Want to see good footwork, quickness, balance, and leverage look at Rodriguez. He's going to be an absolute steal and I would imagine going to be moving up the rankings. This kid is really impressing me.

Seymore is stout as ****. Forget about it when he gets his hands on you. Have to keep him in this class.

Advertisement
Absolutely he's a take, high upside prospect with very good strength, active hands & pass rushing moves.

Don't get too caught up in ranking, he's a fckin savage & tough no nonsense Jamaican kid.

He's a take all day.
I totally agree w/ this love his ability to run the circle and plays w/ great pad level........this kid has a huge upside.......huge......

The difference is that Rodriguez has been playing OL for years against top competition.

There’s no guarantee McLaughlin will develop but the flashes, traits and IQ make it an easy offer.
Put the weight on him and make him a RT ..........that is your Power side......

Went and watched all the vids posted here. Thoughts:

-Rodriguez is a great prospect and we need to lock him up quick. Looks well coached and strong
-big baby will start here for 3 years
-Collins has all the tools of a beast DT prospect. Taylor is elite also but is skinnier. He might be a 3-4 end for the gayts it seems.
-Mclaughlin is a stick out there. Won't play here until red-sophomore year probably
-Are we recruiting tyreak sapp? Curious don't really care that much tbh
-shemar stewart is a monster

Advertisement
I'm just hoping that we can have a respectable season and then add a win or two the following season.

Progression and development is key. It's time for those athletes the staff recruited at DT to show up.
We can't keep striking out on talent, especially in the trenches, that's in our own backyard.

The difference is that Rodriguez has been playing OL for years against top competition.

There’s no guarantee McLaughlin will develop but the flashes, traits and IQ make it an easy offer.
I tend to agree, though I am no evaluator of OLs and this is all an eval call. But I really like the potential I see in McLaughlin. Projecting a kid with his frame a couple years down the road, it’s really hard to look at how he does in camps, because he’s physically not there yet. But he looks to have the tools, or foundation to develop them, in any case. If he has toughness, dedication and explosion i could see him developing into a heck of a player down the road. He looks nothing like Loftus, just e.g., who I wasn’t shy about saying I didn’t think was a good take.

Re Rodriguez, like what I saw and IMO we need more kids like him. When I harp in recruiting thread discussions on us over-targeting guys with upside who aren’t ready, this is a good example of the topic. Rodriguez looks like he’ll be a good college OL, even if he isn’t a future pro. We could go find some kid with potentially better pro potential, but would they be better at Miami over the next 2-3 years? our history suggests we’ve been over-targeting upside relative to readiness, which is why I hate the retrospective NFL debates as far as they relate to our recruiting. Just using this kid as an example here of that topic.

Last edited:
Went and watched all the vids posted here. Thoughts:

-Rodriguez is a great prospect and we need to lock him up quick. Looks well coached and strong
-big baby will start here for 3 years
-Collins has all the tools of a beast DT prospect. Taylor is elite also but is skinnier. He might be a 3-4 end for the gayts it seems.
-Mclaughlin is a stick out there. Won't play here until red-sophomore year probably
-Are we recruiting tyreak sapp? Curious don't really care that much tbh
-shemar stewart is a monster
Maybe I’m overreacting to a few clips but collins looks like a 5* DT to me. Thick, low center of gravity, power, quick feet, hustle. That is what we should always have at DT.

Advertisement

I'm just missing the flashes. I see heavy feet that are only going to get heavier as he gets heavier.

The traits I'm seeing, largely related to his footwork, aren't good ones.

This IQ stuff, how in the world are we determining that from our vantage point?

I've seen limited footage and maybe time developing will be on his side. He's going up against some stiff competition at these events, but I wonder how he does against some of the super quick undersized guys at the high school level. Wouldn't mind watching a game or two, just really don't see it with him. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm just missing the flashes. I see heavy feet that are only going to get heavier as he gets heavier.

The traits I'm seeing, largely related to his footwork, aren't good ones.

I've seen limited footage and maybe time developing will be on his side. He's going up against some stiff competition at these events, but I wonder how he does against some of the super quick undersized guys at the high school level. Wouldn't mind watching a game or two, just really don't see it with him. Hope I'm wrong.
hahahahhahahaha

“He’Z GOt HEavYz FeETz” He’s only been an O-lineman for a year. He was a TE a year ago this same time and he’s shot up everybody’s board. Shouldn’t be surprised that take came from you though...

Flashes would be on his junior clips and at Rivals Camp against guys like Sapp. He was much better there than UA. He's not a freak athlete, but I think he's slowing himself down by thinking too much.

Ivy-league offers, including Harvard. Book IQ is not the same as football IQ, but it's still a good sign at a position where intelligence is very important. I also like that an elite OL coach like Dwayne Ledford is on him so heavily.

Flashes would be on his junior clips and at Rivals Camp against guys like Sapp. He was much better there than UA. He's not a freak athlete, but I think he's slowing himself down by thinking too much.

Ivy-league offers, including Harvard. Book IQ is not the same as football IQ, but it's still a good sign at a position where intelligence is very important. I also like that an elite OL coach like Dwayne Ledford is on him so heavily.
Why are you even responding to him? He criticizing a kid who was playing TE last year at this very same time. He doesn’t know what he’s talking about especially if he’s criticizing the footwork of a kid who’s only played OT for a year.

Advertisement
Back