Linebackers

Advertisement
Our backers are as good as advertised. We just have the wrong expectations of them, want them to be DJ Williams level as true sophomores. I especially think the LB depth situation last year clouded fan perception of the talent we have with Shaq, Pickney and McCloud. They were on the field for too many snaps. Being gassed isn't just a physical issue, it clouds the mind, too. TMcCloud needs to process plays faster to unleash his athleticism. (aside: that's why I don't like the extra weight they've put on, they need to drop 10+ lbs each to be in better condition). Having Smith come down and help, Charles Perry back from injury, with Steed, Wilder and Jennings rotating in, that's going to do wonders on the force and velocity they can bring to each play.

I do worry Jennings like Mike Smith and Terry McCray is a step too slow to handle spread teams and mobile QBs. I wasn't a huge fan of his because of his lateral limitations. N'kosi made Jennings look foolish on one scramble. Even if he diagnoses and takes a good angle, I'm not sure he gets there. But if we keep him as a box Mike, he has a role to play.

Advertisement
Back