Linebackers are about to be clarified

We know that starters in this defense don't really matter it's about snaps played. This game will put immense strain on the linebackers to honor their responsibilities and make plays due to the dual threat of the QB. The safeties can't clean up everything versus run and pass. Without decent linebacker play this team will torture us.

I am sure that Jennings and McCloud will start but if everyone is healthy we will find out very quickly who they think is most effective. I suspect that whoever earns the most snaps this game will never turn back. If it's Jennings/McCloud then that is who they feel is best and it will probably not turn. If it's Flagg and Brooks I suspect they will supplant the other guys forever as the lead backers.

Clarified like butter?

Advertisement
Flagg eats Jennings's reps.

TBH, I'd rather see more DBs and Strikers than 2 LBs out there. I'm not nearly as high on Flagg as most on here. Let Brooks work through his mistakes, he's got the most potential of all of them. Brooks + 6 DBs/Strikers would be just fine for me in most situations. Just got to have someone spying on Hooker at all times.

Where the heck is Steed? Still not 100%?

Advertisement
TBH, I'd rather see more DBs and Strikers than 2 LBs out there. I'm not nearly as high on Flagg as most on here. Let Brooks work through his mistakes, he's got the most potential of all of them. Brooks + 6 DBs/Strikers would be just fine for me in most situations. Just got to have someone spying on Hooker at all times.

Where the heck is Steed? Still not 100%?
Nobody on here but me is high on Flagg man lol truthfully

If u wanna blow up any offense, pressure the QB. We did none of that against NC St until we started blitzing late. Why people are acting like we haven't played this team before? We need to create more pressure, its that simple. If we are relying on our Lb and DBs to be making plays all day down field, that's 90% of the battle lost. That's why we got torched by NC St.

Advertisement
05FC9A62-2006-4C1B-BA43-4BD95DBDD2DF.jpeg

We know that starters in this defense don't really matter it's about snaps played. This game will put immense strain on the linebackers to honor their responsibilities and make plays due to the dual threat of the QB. The safeties can't clean up everything versus run and pass. Without decent linebacker play this team will torture us.

I am sure that Jennings and McCloud will start but if everyone is healthy we will find out very quickly who they think is most effective. I suspect that whoever earns the most snaps this game will never turn back. If it's Jennings/McCloud then that is who they feel is best and it will probably not turn. If it's Flagg and Brooks I suspect they will supplant the other guys forever as the lead backers.
If there is 1 game I want to see us crowd the box and MAKE Someone beat us on the outside it’s this one..bring the safeties up, let’s our LBS key on the personnel in the back field and let our safeties clean up the misdirection from the TEs etc

Nobody on here but me is high on Flagg man lol truthfully

Dude, stick to your guns. I hope you're right. He's got the head for the position. And I saw more lateral quickness than I thought he had in a couple of plays this year. I'm just not a fan of true freshmen linebackers, especially those who are not exceptional athletically.

Dude, stick to your guns. I hope you're right. He's got the head for the position. And I saw more lateral quickness than I thought he had in a couple of plays this year. I'm just not a fan of true freshmen linebackers, especially those who are not exceptional athletically.
I look at like this. Corey will never be a bad player. He might not ever be elite but he’ll be good at all times. That’s not a miss

Advertisement
Advertisement
The NCST game was the first game this season that Brooks-6 got more snaps than McCloud-53. Also, I could swear I saw JHH playing over the center on third downs, and Carter-5 in some kind of hybrid LB role during that NCST game, especially in the fourth quarter. That fourth quarter lineup was very effective.

IMHO, CMD may have saving that defensive scheme for VaTech, and didn’t want to give Fuentes too much film on that lineup. But when the Canes were down by 10 in the fourth quarter and needed stops, CMD had no choice but to roll it out. I expect to see more of that at VaTech and other games moving forward

Brooks still looks like a pass rusher trying to play LB. Maybe it'll click for him one day at LB, but he was an absolute terror getting after the QB in HS. Now, instead of that, we're asking him to do something he's never done and doesn't seem all that great at doing.

Right now, he's just a guy out there. He'll make an occasional play, but, most of the time, he's just running around aimlessly.
I don’t really disagree, but he seemed to flash in limited reps earlier in the year. Seems like his foot injury could be hampering his play of late. I get your points, though.

I look at like this. Corey will never be a bad player. He might not ever be elite but he’ll be good at all times. That’s not a miss
We could use more high floor low ceiling guys like him at LB. Skalski from Clemson is like this and he’s the heart of their defense. They’re notably worse without him.

We could use more high floor low ceiling guys like him at LB. Skalski from Clemson is like this and he’s the heart of their defense. They’re notably worse without him.
100%. That’s the rule I would like us to follow in recruiting for the most part at a lot of positions. It sets a better foundation. I’m not saying we should keep swinging at high upside kids but I don’t pull like to see a certain level of production from the ones we pursue

Advertisement
Back