Linebackers are about to be clarified

Pennmed Canefan

Sophomore
We know that starters in this defense don't really matter it's about snaps played. This game will put immense strain on the linebackers to honor their responsibilities and make plays due to the dual threat of the QB. The safeties can't clean up everything versus run and pass. Without decent linebacker play this team will torture us.

I am sure that Jennings and McCloud will start but if everyone is healthy we will find out very quickly who they think is most effective. I suspect that whoever earns the most snaps this game will never turn back. If it's Jennings/McCloud then that is who they feel is best and it will probably not turn. If it's Flagg and Brooks I suspect they will supplant the other guys forever as the lead backers.

Advertisement
Our linebackers poor play is simply a coaching issue, they dont point out ****, and are just being asked to react, which is why they mostly run towards the same fakes and fullbacks consistently getting behind them. The situational awareness defensive calls are simply not their with baker, that 4th and 17 we gave up wasn't no fluke.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
2H we were seeing more Brooks and Carter at LB with Gil and Smith at striker. Wayyyy more speed on the field and you could tell, especially in the 4th.

Brooks still looks like a pass rusher trying to play LB. Maybe it'll click for him one day at LB, but he was an absolute terror getting after the QB in HS. Now, instead of that, we're asking him to do something he's never done and doesn't seem all that great at doing.

Right now, he's just a guy out there. He'll make an occasional play, but, most of the time, he's just running around aimlessly.

Advertisement
Back