Lil Tua now in transfer portal

Could that all have just been media narrative there the school intentionally wanted out there to put extra pressure on Cam?

Of course it was.

Doesn't change the fact that there were MANY Miami fans who swallowed that story hook, line, and sinker and were trying to tell us that Taulia getting a waiver was very probable.

Just like you have a bunch of posters running around now, asking that their receipts not be pulled, because they claim they merely "believed" Cam Ward's hostage video NFL draft declaration.

Everyone can believe what they want to believe. I don't care.

Advertisement
I think you are misunderstanding the difference between a "free year" and a redshirt year (of any sort).

Why can't Taulia redshirt in his second year? Jacurri just did. Jacurri only played in 2022 because of injuries to others.

Would your answer change if Maryland only played 4 games in 2020? Or 3 games? Or zero, like the Big 10 was initially planning.

Again, the NCAA gave a FREE YEAR to players of all ages, to be able to play in 2020, even as many as 10 or 12 games (including bowls) and not have it count, even if they had previously redshirted.

But, yeah, not for Taulia, who got stuck on a team that only played half a season in 2020.

Yay. A "free year" for 4 or 5 games. Yay. While other kids got to play and develop over 10 to 12 games. For free. Yay.

Thank you, boss NCAA. Thank you.
I know difference between RS year and Covid giving everyone another year.

He could have taken his RS a different year like you said but he did not.

I wonder how many others only played 4 or less games that year?

Think Ohio St only played 5 games that year too.

All that is why everyone was given an extra year of eligibility.

Advertisement
I know difference between RS year and Covid giving everyone another year.

He could have taken his RS a different year like you said but he did not.

I wonder how many others only played 4 or less games that year?

Think Ohio St only played 5 games that year too.

All that is why everyone was given an extra year of eligibility.

Your last sentence is wrong. Nobody was given an extra year of eligibility because of 5-game seasons. They were given an extra year so that 2020 COULD ACTUALLY HAPPEN without mass-opt-outs like Greg Rousseau.

The NCAA actually stated its "legislative intent" on the free year.

Again, normal redshirt years in normal years are set based on an expectation that everyone has comparable years. Otherwise, you could get Deion Sanders choosing to cancel 8 games so his entire team gets a redshirt year.

What I'm pointing out is the vast discrepancy between a P5 school that plays 10 or 12 games in 2020 and a P5 school that only plays 4 or 5 games in 2020. Those are NOT comparable seasons. They just aren't.

If the Big 10 actually HAD cancelled 2020, would the NCAA have said "***** it, you had your free year, no exceptions"?

Your last sentence is wrong. Nobody was given an extra year of eligibility because of 5-game seasons. They were given an extra year so that 2020 COULD ACTUALLY HAPPEN without mass-opt-outs like Greg Rousseau.

The NCAA actually stated its "legislative intent" on the free year.

Again, normal redshirt years in normal years are set based on an expectation that everyone has comparable years. Otherwise, you could get Deion Sanders choosing to cancel 8 games so his entire team gets a redshirt year.

What I'm pointing out is the vast discrepancy between a P5 school that plays 10 or 12 games in 2020 and a P5 school that only plays 4 or 5 games in 2020. Those are NOT comparable seasons. They just aren't.

If the Big 10 actually HAD cancelled 2020, would the NCAA have said "***** it, you had your free year, no exceptions"?

How is my last sentence wrong?? Everyone from 2020 was given an extra year. My friend son played in 2021 for his 6th year cause of Covid.

Now if you are saying it was unfair to OSU and Maryland since they only played 5 games compared to everyone else. I guess NCAA wasn’t expecting that. Once again, someone could have played in zero games or all of them, it was same.

Advertisement
When you have players getting waivers for their ninth year of college, but turn down a guy because he took two snaps in a fifth game, there might be something wrong with the system.

Disagree on that

Every school knows the RS Rule

Now maybe NCAA should cap how many medical waivers are given but as of now that is a rule

Disagree on that

Now maybe NCAA should cap how many medical waivers are given but as of now that is a rule
Or maybe they should have treated 2020 as a floating redshirt to be used whenever if the player actually redshirted that year.

How is my last sentence wrong?? Everyone from 2020 was given an extra year. My friend son played in 2021 for his 6th year cause of Covid.

Now if you are saying it was unfair to OSU and Maryland since they only played 5 games compared to everyone else. I guess NCAA wasn’t expecting that. Once again, someone could have played in zero games or all of them, it was same.

"All that is why everyone was given an extra year of eligibility."

NCAA gave the free year so that there would not be a wave of Greg Rousseau opt-outs. I was questioning the "why", not the fact that it actually happened.

And, yes, your last paragraph above about unintended consequences is exactly why I was hoping that Taulia would argue for reinstatement based on his 2020 year, not his 2019 year. You and I are essentially in agreement here.

And go back and look at what I posted on Pete Thamel's comments. This whole MYTH about 2019 is now getting out of control, about how Taulia got pressured into taking a knee in his FINAL game at Alabama. Thamel posted some sad, sad (and factually inaccurate) quotes and comments.

Taulia actually PLAYED in his FIFTH GAME (Western Carolina) because he wanted to. And he would have played in a SIXTH game (Auburn) if Alabama had managed to blow Auburn out in the Iron Bowl.

Advertisement
Or maybe they should have treated 2020 as a floating redshirt to be used whenever if the player actually redshirted that year.

Now you're doing it lol

How about, everyone did redshirt in 2020 whether they played zero or all games that year

A player could also redshirt another season if needed

Disagree on that

Every school knows the redshirt rule.

Not every school knows how to apply the redshirt rule at the same time as trying to apply the COVID rule.

And that should have been the basis of the appeal. Not 2019, because you accurately point out that every school knows the redshirt rule.

Advertisement
Every school knows the redshirt rule.

Not every school knows how to apply the redshirt rule at the same time as trying to apply the COVID rule.

And that should have been the basis of the appeal. Not 2019, because you accurately point out that every school knows the redshirt rule.

Imo, there was nothing to apply. 2020 was a wash for everyone. An opt-out could have returned too if that was his last season??

Just to make sure I understand, are you saying everyone that played 4 games or less in 2020 should get an extra two years??

Imo, there was nothing to apply. 2020 was a wash for everyone. An opt-out could have returned too if that was his last season??

Just to make sure I understand, are you saying everyone that played 4 games or less in 2020 should get an extra two years??

I'm not understanding your math.

I'm saying they get the EXACT SAME one extra year, just in a different year. RS-20/COVID-21. One extra year.

Not sure why that isn't landing with you.

Advertisement
Back