Lil Tua now in transfer portal

Advertisement
I think he had to enter by today or yesterday.

He can always “pull out” (@TRick72) by Feb. 2nd I believe. It was probably Miami or no one or if he gets waiver approved before Feb 2nd, he can then explore transfer options in the spring or stay in the draft.
Don’t believe so. He isn’t considered an underclassman. He could withdraw by 2-2. Unless he signs with agent.

For sure, I just don’t know why the school would’ve been under the impression the Covid year was some transferable thing when that has not been the case at all.

The change to the rule giving everyone six years to play five is what caused the confusion. Because that was the intention of the rule.

Nearly everyone who played in 2020 had ALREADY taken a redshirt year in a prior year. Thus, they were given a "regular" redshirt year AND a COVID redshirt year, because the NCAA didn't want huge numbers of players opting out of 2020, particularly those looking towards the draft (Greg Rousseau).

So, someone who was otherwise planning to use a "regular" redshirt year in 2020 gets screwed over if the NCAA only lets them have ONE of those two redshirt years (regular OR COVID, but not both), just because they were younger.

This is what I was saying a while ago. What is stopping guys from just enrolling and getting nil and not receive a scholarship? I remember your saying they would have to have not been recruited. So it’s tougher to g get HS guys to do it. But seems portal guys are perfect candidates, especially when’s guy wants to be here and doesn’t need to visit to make that decision. That seems like it would apply here. In fact it’d be the same as a walk on basically. If the walk on happens to win the job and is good so then gets nil…

It’s extra interesting because we have limited scholarship numbers. Now maybe just to 100% be safe the nil would have to be through a completely unaffiliated side from Miami. So not involve our collective….

So, IN THE PAST, the test of whether a player was "recruited" (and who could NOT walk-on without getting a scholarship offer) or "not recruited" (who COULD walk-on without counting as a "counter" or an "initial counter") was defined by whether the school gave a kid an OV and/or visited him in-home.

All OTHER forms of recruiting (kid shows up to a camp, kid takes a UV on his own dime, kid speaks to coaches informally but never on an in-home visit) constituted a "less serious" form of recruiting that did not force a school to make a formal scholarship offer, and allowed the school to let a kid be a "preferred walk-on" instead.

Now, since COVID and all the changes in behavior and rules, it might be harder to differentiate and/or easier to sidestep the rules. Clearly, guys like Cristobal and Taylor may not have to count against ANY rules, and can avail themselves of tuition remission.

In the past, a lot of recruits had a level of ego. If they had a scholarship offer at one place, but had to sneak in the back door to get a PWO offer at another place, they usually took the regular scholarship offer.

Not sure what the future holds. I'm sure the NCAA will be concerned when a kid is "good enough" to get a 6-figure NIL deal (enough to pay for a year at Miami, say), and "not good enough" to get an OV, an in-home, or an actual scholarship offer.

Going to be fun to see how schools try to attack this seeming loophole.

Advertisement

This is so shocking. Who could have foreseen this outcome? What, with Nick Saban writing a letter of support, and all...

But but but Gaby and a lot of other people said there was confidence that the NCAA would toss out one of of its most basic rules about redshirting...

Advertisement
The change to the rule giving everyone six years to play five is what caused the confusion. Because that was the intention of the rule.

Nearly everyone who played in 2020 had ALREADY taken a redshirt year in a prior year. Thus, they were given a "regular" redshirt year AND a COVID redshirt year, because the NCAA didn't want huge numbers of players opting out of 2020, particularly those looking towards the draft (Greg Rousseau).

So, someone who was otherwise planning to use a "regular" redshirt year in 2020 gets screwed over if the NCAA only lets them have ONE of those two redshirt years (regular OR COVID, but not both), just because they were younger.

I don’t feel Covid screwed anyone over

It gave everyone a free year

2020 - Covid play or not
2021 - RS play four games and bowl game
2022 - Play
2023 - Play
2024 - Play
2025 - Play

I don’t feel Covid screwed anyone over

It gave everyone a free year

2020 - Covid play or not
2021 - RS play four games and bowl game
2022 - Play
2023 - Play
2024 - Play
2025 - Play

Again, your example works fine for some kids, and not others.

Let's not forget, COVID was a free year, regardless. You could play the entire season, 10 or 11 games (depending).

Now, swap 2020 and 2021, get the SAME EXACT OUTCOME, and then you have parity.

2019 - Play
2020 - RS play four games
2021 - COVID play or not
2022 - Play
2023 - Play
2024 - Play

Because that second example, which is exactly Tua's situation, is identical to yours, but with the flip flop of 2020 and 2021.

Again, look at Taulia's situation. It might be different if Maryland had gotten to play 10 or 11 games in 2020. But they didn't. Between the Big 10's weird scheduling, and having multiple games cancelled, Maryland only had a FIVE game season in 2020, half of what teams in the ACC or SEC had. Taulia didn't play in all five games, thus he should be eligible to apply his redshirt year to 2020 AND to take a "free" year (to "play or not") in another year.

2020 was a disastrous abortion for both the Big 10 generally, and Maryland specifically. That's why the portability of the COVID year matters.

Advertisement
Again, your example works fine for some kids, and not others.

Let's not forget, COVID was a free year, regardless. You could play the entire season, 10 or 11 games (depending).

Now, swap 2020 and 2021, get the SAME EXACT OUTCOME, and then you have parity.

2019 - Play
2020 - RS play four games
2021 - COVID play or not
2022 - Play
2023 - Play
2024 - Play

Because that second example, which is exactly Tua's situation, is identical to yours, but with the flip flop of 2020 and 2021.

Again, look at Taulia's situation. It might be different if Maryland had gotten to play 10 or 11 games in 2020. But they didn't. Between the Big 10's weird scheduling, and having multiple games cancelled, Maryland only had a FIVE game season in 2020, half of what teams in the ACC or SEC had. Taulia didn't play in all five games, thus he should be eligible to apply his redshirt year to 2020 AND to take a "free" year (to "play or not") in another year.

2020 was a disastrous abortion for both the Big 10 generally, and Maryland specifically. That's why the portability of the COVID year matters.

Get all that but 2020 was free year for everyone even if didn’t play one game

One of us overthinking this

It’s all the RS year

2019 - RS but he didn’t
2020 - Covid
2021 - Play
2022 - Play
2023 - Play
2024 - Play if someone RS

6 years to play 5

Advertisement
Here you have the factually incorrect reporting:

“Tagovailoa played in five games as the third-string quarterback at Alabama in 2019, playing just two snaps in his fifth and final game at Mississippi State. He entered during the final snaps of a 38-7 win as a way to honor his brother, Tua, who suffered a severe hip injury.”

Tagovailoa only appeared in five games in his lone season at Alabama. The former four-star prospect finished 9-of-12 passing for 100 yards in his limited time on the field.

Tagovailoa did not attempt a pass in his final game with the Crimson Tide. He simply handed the ball off once before kneeling it to run out the clock against Mississippi State. Tagovailoa explained his complicated decision to sacrifice his redshirt during his true freshman season.

“Honestly, if I could do it again, hopefully my brother doesn’t get injured and I’m not in that emotional state where I want to play in the game,” Tagovailoa said, per Thamel. “If I got to do it over again, I wouldn’t have played in the game.

“Coach asked me if I wanted to go in. Of course I wanted to go in and play for my brother. And that’s what happened.”

And here you have the accurate facts: (in Games 1-3, Taulia was the 3rd stringer, but by the end of Game 4 he was the 2nd stringer with the injury to Tua):

1705430263741.png

1705430403262.png

This is so shocking. Who could have foreseen this outcome? What, with Nick Saban writing a letter of support, and all...

But but but Gaby and a lot of other people said there was confidence that the NCAA would toss out one of of its most basic rules about redshirting...
Could that all have just been media narrative there the school intentionally wanted out there to put extra pressure on Cam?

Get all that but 2020 was free year for everyone even if didn’t play one game

One of us overthinking this

It’s all the RS year

2019 - RS but he didn’t
2020 - Covid
2021 - Play
2022 - Play
2023 - Play
2024 - Play if someone RS

6 years to play 5

I think you are misunderstanding the difference between a "free year" and a redshirt year (of any sort).

Why can't Taulia redshirt in his second year? Jacurri just did. Jacurri only played in 2022 because of injuries to others.

Would your answer change if Maryland only played 4 games in 2020? Or 3 games? Or zero, like the Big 10 was initially planning?

Again, the NCAA gave a FREE YEAR to players of all ages, to be able to play in 2020, even as many as 10 or 12 games (including bowls) and not have it count, even if they had previously redshirted.

But, yeah, not for Taulia, who got stuck on a team that only played half a season in 2020.

Yay. A "free year" for 4 or 5 games. Yay. While other kids got to play and develop over 10 to 12 games. For free. Yay.

Thank you, boss NCAA. Thank you.

Advertisement
Back