Lil Tua now in transfer portal

They also ruled him eligible to play one week before him and maye teamed up to abuse our secondary.

Eliminate him, and UNC loses. Then again, the nCAA knew that.

Doesn't matter either way, Mario didn't kneel so he blew the season before it even mattered.

But make no mistake about it, they ruled him eligible so we could lose. Not much will convince me otherwise.
Yeah that timing was suspicious to say the least

Advertisement
The NCAA has been donkey punching FSU lately, why not keep the abuse going and give Lil Tua that waiver knowing we're most likely his final destination.

Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 1.56.45 PM.png

Positive update by Gaby

We have our guy boys. 15-0 coming!!!

Advertisement
I'm curious why you if you now think getting this type of waiver is unlikely? I remember you being adamant he didn't even need a waiver to play another year. Did something change in context of needing a waiver in general to he played in 4 games period?

Initially, the information I heard from UM was that a waiver would not be needed. I believe that UM had confusion over whether 2020 counted as a redshirt (he only played in 4 games, whereas he played in 5 in 2019), and whether "permission" was needed to take the COVID year in 2021.

Subsequent information coming out of UM, which I discussed with Cribby, was that a waiver WOULD be needed, it was not an "automatic".

I am in favor of Taulia getting another year to play. I hope he does. I have gone from being told it would be easy, to then it was not so easy, to now where we are "wait and see".

I have been clear about what I felt on the "2019" argument. The emotional pull is strong. Taulia did not register stats against Duke in his first game of 2019, taking a knee one time. He registered stats in his second and third games against Southern Miss and Arkansas. The fourth game against Mississippi State is the tough one to describe. It was NOT "taking a knee", it was actually two hand-offs to end the game (up 38-7, talk to Mario about that). Technically, at that point, Taulia was the second-stringer behind Mac Jones due to Tua's injury. Finally, Taulia came in and registered stats against Western Carolina.

And one can argue that if Alabama had been up big on Auburn in the Iron Bowl, Taulia would have played in a SIXTH game. But because Auburn won that game by 3 points, Mac Jones played for the entire game.

Now, as to 2020, I posted the analysis of that argument earlier, and @JayCane20 was able to confirm that Taulia's appeal includes BOTH arguments (give him a redshirt for 2019 OR 2020). I believe that the 2020 argument has a better shot of winning, as the NCAA would be able to "make an exception" due to COVID, compared to setting a very bad (for them) precedent for 2019 by allowing a "five-game redshirt year".

So we shall see what happens. I'm pulling for him, but I am worried about the calendar. Today is the 13th, and the 15th is a holiday. The 24th is the last day to register at UM. So there are exactly 7 business days left for the NCAA to respond in enough time for Taulia to register at UM and be eligible to play in the spring.

In theory, if we didn't get Ward and we were looking to the April portal window anyhow, then we would have more time with Taulia and his waiver attempt.

It's a very interesting series of choices that Mario has made. And I wish that Taulia had applied for a waiver in December.

Just curious...could he just enroll as a grad student and walk on while waiting for a waiver approval? Anyone know what the rules are for that situation?

I'm not against that approach.

And it actually might be a GREAT thing for other reasons.

Keep this in mind, Darrell Jackson was not OUT OF eligibility, he was just going to have to sit out a year due to the two-time transfer rule. So he was perfectly eligible to get an academic scholarship, he just could not play.

Because Taulia is out of eligiblity, he is currently unable to get an academic scholarship. So for the SPRING semester, he would have to pay his own tuition. I'm sure that AutoNation could arrange a quick "Tagavailoa brothers" commercial to provide the funding for one semester, and then Taulia wouldn't even count against our numbers.

IF IF IF he got a favorable waiver ruling after January 24th, then it seems he COULD play AND he could get a scholarship, though it might be too late for the spring semester. So we could either (a) give him an athletic scholarship for the 2024-2025 school year, or (b) possibly not even have to put him on athletic scholarship at all. I'm not quite sure on the propriety of (b), we know how it works for family members (Cristobal, Taylor), I'm not sure if we could thread that needle for the "brother of a Dolphin".

Should be an interesting next 2 weeks.

Advertisement
The NCAA has been donkey punching FSU lately, why not keep the abuse going and give Lil Tua that waiver knowing we're most likely his final destination.

I mean...it would be HILARIOUS if the NCAA ruled Taulia eligible one week before the F$U game...

:LOL:

Initially, the information I heard from UM was that a waiver would not be needed. I believe that UM had confusion over whether 2020 counted as a redshirt (he only played in 4 games, whereas he played in 5 in 2019), and whether "permission" was needed to take the COVID year in 2021.
I’m generally one of the more optimistic people with regards to the program but this is hilariously inept

I’m generally one of the more optimistic people with regards to the program but this is hilariously inept

While I'm not denying that, you also have to look at the family on this one.

The family has known the facts of 2019...since 2019...and 2020 since 2020...they have also known whether Taulia was going into the draft and what his draft prospects were for quite some time.

I am not sure why the FAMILY did not hire an attorney and start drafting the waiver in November/December at the latest.

As with evaluating high school academics, UM initially goes off what it is told by the individual. But until the official transcripts get evaluated by the Clearinghouse, Miami didn't always know every eligibility for every recruit with certainty.

Advertisement
I'm not against that approach.

And it actually might be a GREAT thing for other reasons.

Keep this in mind, Darrell Jackson was not OUT OF eligibility, he was just going to have to sit out a year due to the two-time transfer rule. So he was perfectly eligible to get an academic scholarship, he just could not play.

Because Taulia is out of eligiblity, he is currently unable to get an academic scholarship. So for the SPRING semester, he would have to pay his own tuition. I'm sure that AutoNation could arrange a quick "Tagavailoa brothers" commercial to provide the funding for one semester, and then Taulia wouldn't even count against our numbers.

IF IF IF he got a favorable waiver ruling after January 24th, then it seems he COULD play AND he could get a scholarship, though it might be too late for the spring semester. So we could either (a) give him an athletic scholarship for the 2024-2025 school year, or (b) possibly not even have to put him on athletic scholarship at all. I'm not quite sure on the propriety of (b), we know how it works for family members (Cristobal, Taylor), I'm not sure if we could thread that needle for the "brother of a Dolphin".

Should be an interesting next 2 weeks.

So he could play as a walk-on in the Spring while waiting on the NCAA or would they not allow him to play while awaiting a ruling?

Advertisement
While I'm not denying that, you also have to look at the family on this one.

The family has known the facts of 2019...since 2019...and 2020 since 2020...they have also known whether Taulia was going into the draft and what his draft prospects were for quite some time.

I am not sure why the FAMILY did not hire an attorney and start drafting the waiver in November/December at the latest.

As with evaluating high school academics, UM initially goes off what it is told by the individual. But until the official transcripts get evaluated by the Clearinghouse, Miami didn't always know every eligibility for every recruit with certainty.
For sure, I just don’t know why the school would’ve been under the impression the Covid year was some transferable thing when that has not been the case at all.

Advertisement
Back