Lil Tua now in transfer portal

so what are the odds on this waiver truly?

does anyone on here feel remotely positive about it being approved?

I feel very good at about it for the simple reason the NCAA isn't going to want to take another L in federal court.

It will just grant the waiver to make the problem go away. The circumstances are unique enough (basically only had two handoffs in his fifth game ) that the ncaa can find wiggle room to justify the waiver.

Advertisement
Doesn’t he have me to add classes before that?

Yes, by the 24th if he wants to report in for Spring but I have two thoughts on that... first, he doesn't need a waiver to enroll in classes at UM, he can drop them any time he wants if the waiver is denied and secondly.... if there is any QB out there who I would be the least worried about not going through spring ball, it's Tagoviola. He has the maturity and the resources/support around him to make it work as a summer enrollee IMO, although Spring would be ideal for sure.

I feel very good at about it for the simple reason the NCAA isn't going to want to take another L in federal court. It will just grant the waiver to make the problem go away.
how would there even be a case to take this to federal court?

I hope he gets approved, he's our last hope, but the rule is you can only play in 4 games. the rule doesn't say if you play in 5 games and it's a really cool story we'll still give you an extra year of eligibility

Yes, by the 24th if he wants to report in for Spring but I have two thoughts on that... first, he doesn't need a waiver to enroll in classes at UM, he can drop them any time he wants if the waiver is denied and secondly.... if there is any QB out there who I would be the least worried about not going through spring ball, it's Tagoviola. He has the maturity and the resources/support around him to make it work as a summer enrollee IMO, although Spring would be ideal for sure.
This feels like a stretch, we’re gonna bet our make or break season on a kid showing up during the summer?

If he adds UM classes before, it tips his hand. No way he gets approved.

Advertisement
He can throw the ball 55 - 60 yards with accuracy. How much more than that do you need?

Arm-strength can be fools-gold without anticipation, footwork and eye-discipline.
completely disagree with you
Watch the tape and not just the highlights. Yes he has a few good ones. But watch.the. Full tapes

i watched almost everyone of their games live this year due to family attending the school. He does not have a strong arm despite a few plays in highlight reals. But whatever

Man, it's come to this?

We're hoping for a bailout from the NCAA? That they'll bend the rules, even if just ever so slightly, so we can get an extra year for someone. The brother of the guy people thought wasn't as good as TVD at one point?

We'd be clowning people for something like this.

Advertisement
completely disagree with you
Watch the tape and not just the highlights. Yes he has a few good ones. But watch.the. Full tapes

i watched almost everyone of their games live this year due to family attending the school. He does not have a strong arm despite a few plays in highlight reals. But whatever

I didn't say he had a strong arm.

I agree, I think his only hope would be contesting that his RS year and covid year overlapping would be unfair and diminish his ability to benefit as others had.

feel like he'd have a better shot with that personally

100% agree with you

Advertisement
so what are the odds on this waiver truly?

does anyone on here feel remotely positive about it being approved?
My sources are telling me that there is a 50% chance that it could be approved, and a 50% chance that it could be denied. Also, I don’t actually have any sources but those are the only two possible outcomes.

how would there even be a case to take this to federal court?

I hope he gets approved, he's our last hope, but the rule is you can only play in 4 games. the rule doesn't say if you play in 5 games and it's a really cool story we'll still give you an extra year of eligibility

Caution-- long post ahead. The fed judge who issued the injunction on the one time transfer rule pretty much explained it, and the rationale would apply to the 5 yr rule too. Judge said the one time transfer rule was an unreasonable restraint on trade and an anti trust violation. The funniest part of the injunction is the judge didn't just grant it, he also added his two cents and told the ncaa to go f#ck itself, saying anyone who challenges the ncaa one time transfer rule in court will likely win.

IMO the same reasoning would apply to the five year eligibility rule if challenged. It's safe to say that in general, the longer a college player plays, the higher his NIL value tends to go. In other words, a fifth year WR tends to have higher NIL value than a first year WR. So for a college player, it's generally in his financial interest to extend his college career as long as possible.

The problem with the five year rule is that it is largely out of the players control. In other words, he may want to redshirt his first season and learn the offense so that he has four productive years in college, and can maximize his NIL value in his final year of eligibility. Let's say a forward thinking player knows this and tries to plan for that from the beginning of his college career. What happens if the coach screws him over?

Take Jacurri Brown as an example. He requested a red shirt to preserve his eligibility in order to have a chance at winning the starting job in 2025. He knew he needed to stay in college as long as possible to learn the QB well enough to have a shot at eventually getting the starting job. But let's say Cristobal was a vindicate prick and he didn't like that Brown requested a RS in 2023, so he sends him out to kneel the ball at the end of the game five times. Brown obviously can't refuse to take the field, and the HC burned his redshirt even though Brown specifically said he wanted to preserve his eligibility. The coach may have ruined his earning potential (NIL changed everything, this is basically a job now).

The 5 yr rule is also arbitrary and not tied to anything special, so the ncaa can't claim five years is their bright line for determining amateur v professional status. That's how you end up with senior citizens like Cam Mccormick still being eligible after seven or eight years.

You could have a player that took one snap in five blowout games in four seasons, and those 20 snaps would mean he's used up all his eligibility, while another player could be a starter and play four full games in one season and then every game in 3 seasons, and he's still eligible to play a fifth year.

The ncaa can try to argue that it takes all that into account, which is why it offers an appeal process, and it considers the individual circumstances of each player. I think a federal court would laugh at that defense and say there is too much money on the line for players to be held hostage by the ncaa, sometimes for months, while it secretly deliberates whether it will grant an extra year of eligibility. Take a player like Taulia, he doesn't have a NFL future but a college team might be willing to give him 2 million for a year of football... and 2 snaps could be the difference between being a multimillionaire or being a manager at Best Buy (I guess technically he could do both if really wanted to get employee discounts for his Roomba collection).

Eventually a player will challenge the 5 year rule in fed court (not Taulia - the ncaa knows his family has the resources to hire top lawyers so it will grant his waiver). The court will issue an injunction like it did in the one year transfer case, and the ncaa will scramble to come up with different eligibility rule, possibly based on total snaps or number of snaps in a season so that it can claim it has taken the mystery out of its decision making. Having it based on the number of plays in total rather than dependent on year might be less controversial, but either way Taulia is likely playing college ball in 2024.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Short answer is no. Slightly longer answer is hopefully before Jan 24th.
I don't know ****, but shouldn't it be on/before January 15th (the last day to declare for the NFL draft)? I assume it's in the NCAA's best interest to give him an answer before final declaration day so he can make the appropriate decision.

I don't know ****, but shouldn't it be on/before January 15th (the last day to declare for the NFL draft)? I assume it's in the NCAA's best interest to give him an answer before final declaration day so he can make the appropriate decision.

You'd think, but the NCAA doesn't *have* to abide by the NFL declaration day so my guess is they'll take their sweet time and make a ruling sometime between next week and August lol

GT exposed him. They did to him similar to what teams started to do to Patrick Mahomes, they gave him the short stuff in the passing game.
Difference between Mahomes and TVD is he adjusted and TVD did not. He forced the 🏈 and we know the rest.
Exactly his greed and inability or refusal to check down to second or third receivers, or take what the defense gave him did him in.

All I know is Emory and Brown played games in the same offense and they both protected the ball better than TVD👀.
TVD played in Gattis pathetic offense and played better. Dude just wasn't studying film in my opinion.
Hopefully, he learned a lesson because he got talent
They did, but the offense being scaled back so much for both of them bothers me. It is like neither one of them worked on learning a simple offense to run.

Advertisement
Back