Liked this a lot: "We're better than you"

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
Let our guys go head up on the outside more often. Our Back 7 sometimes struggle in passing off players in zone coverages. ****, sometimes they're not even on the same page. But, with our DL and overall athletes (sans a player or two), I was extremely pumped to watch us attack spread sets this way. I think it simplifies some things for our 'Backers and inside DBs.

[Not a perfect illustration of what we saw yesterday, but you'll get the idea]

Cover 1.jpg

proxy.php

Now, couple things to consider:

- If I'm an opponent, I more often play my best or at least quickest WR in the slot. Many times, that WR was even to the field side matched up against #25 and even #20 . That made me clench a bit sometimes. Very cool to see Derrick Smith rewarded with PT so early on. He's made consistent plays on ST/KO.
- When Delaney returns, I *really* like Michael Jackson in the place of where #25 and #20 were. I mean, Jackson even stepped in at Centerfield for a few snaps (IIRC).
- Guys like Bandy simply change our ability to take this type of approach. His feet are unbelievably solid. When teams see this, you can even then drop off into some more interesting zone coverages (and mix in Cloud/Sky, depending on who we have on the field).
- Would really like to see us recruit a Hybrid OLB/Safety, which perhaps Derrick Smith can become.

All in all:

I know many are worried about our run fits at times. We need to get more consistent with our tackling, because how "loose" we become or over-pursue seems to be a symptom of Diaz's desire to err on the side of aggression and get offenses behind schedule. It's as much a byproduct of his philosophy as our ability to create TFLs. Either way, I'm happy to see us adjust to spread sets and, while we can still clean some stuff up and need a recruiting class of Safeties, tip my cap for the consistently aggressive approach.

Advertisement
Man, even with a busted coverage every now and then, his defensive philosophy is such a breath of fresh air compared to the past.

You, sir, have restored my faith that there are people in our fan base that actually understand what is going on out on that football field.

Thank you.

I feel like this is them realizing they have far more talent at corner than safety right now. Jackson, Young, Bandy, Redwine and even Dean have shown an ability to be right on the WR hip pocket when you don’t ask them to play off. It appears that all those guys, including Delaney when healthy, tend to be at their best when they can line up right over a guy and run with him. Couple that with poor safety play, and it makes very little sense to have your CB’s play off or in zone when you can’t trust your safeties to play in space. I also think communication in zone coverage is still an issue. Last year, you had 3 starters who were not only experienced, but were experienced playing together. That is severely lacking this year, when you have so many young guys playing together for the first time. The more snaps they see together, the better that’ll get. But it takes time.

They only time I thought Manny should have dropped 8 into coverage with safeties over top was the 3rd and 25 play. Really wanted him to drop guys off and force an underneath throw and rally to the ball. Outside of that, I liked the play calling, didn’t like the execution. Again, too many over pursues and missed tackles that have to be cleaned up. But I’ll take mistakes out of over aggression instead passive defense any day of the week.

Last edited:
I noticed we played a lot more press coverage. Seems like Diaz trusts them a little more lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Didn't we spend years, literally years, wondering why you take a bunch of kids that grow up in the WRs face and make them play zone?

Didn't we spend years, literally years, wondering why you take a bunch of kids that grow up in the WRs face and make them play zone?

and then they recruit those guys too lol dumb azzes that staff, yeah lets recruit circles to fit in our squares. That staff was clueless

Advertisement
Back