I have a hard time relying on AI, since it's so often wrong. There is also no link provided to the rulebook, and the rulebook isn't called "NCAA Football Playing Rules." I linked it in my post earlier; it's called 2026 Rules Book. Here is the link again:
I do, however, appreciate that you replied with a genuine and respectful response. Thank you.
1. The first section of your response is saying that I am incorrect, yet your response is citing the same rule as I am, and also part of the rule that is not applicable to the play. The Targeting and Making Forcible Contact to Head/Neck Area is not relevant to the Lightfoot play.
2. This section also references the same section that I cited. Rule 9-1-4 includes a QB anytime after a change of possession. It also indicates a player who receives a blind-side block, which I did not cite.
3. Your analysis, if correct, then discusses why blind-side blocks are illegal under Rule 9-1-18.
However, you conclude that this is only applicable for the targeting rule, and Lightfoot was cited for unnecessary roughness. As I previously cited, unnecessary roughness and targeting ARE THE SAME RULE. So if Lightfoot's block was illegal under the targeting rule, it was also illegal under the unnecessary roughness rule (see my initial post above).
Your own ChatGPT analysis comes to a similar conclusion:
Bottom line: A quarterback pursuing an interception returner
can be blocked under NCAA rules. The return team does not have to allow him an unobstructed opportunity to make the tackle.
But the quarterback remains a defenseless player for the entire post-change-of-possession portion of the play, so targeting protections apply, and a blocker may not deliver a forcible blind-side block.