LIFW

Advertisement
Advertisement
The Miami Herald will do everything it can to make sure.
When is the LeBatard/Billy Corbin documentary coming out? You know they are ready to pounce (pause).

Excited Winnie The Pooh GIF

Advertisement
This is a shame, IMO. One thing that drives me nuts about the way the university of miami operates is everything has to be done in **** secret. At some point somebody over there needs to realize that it's OK to promote yourself, in fact it's helpful to do so. Build a brand.
Who were the donors who helped Texas A&M buy a #1 recruiting class last season? Would you know the major donors for USC, Ohio St, or Alabama unless you really want to go out of your way to find out? As a Power 5 school, Miami is already expected to have a decent NIL fund. The brand will be fine as long it doesn't develop a reputation for either being cheap or failling to meet their agreement with players.The only people who need intimate knowledge of the collectives are players and their agents, and they all do

is the story about Ruiz or Miami?
It’s about Ruiz, but he‘s tied to the University has the big money NIL alum. Come on JD, how can you write about him and not mention Miami? By the way, the school did nothing wrong.

Advertisement
Who were the donors who helped Texas A&M buy a #1 recruiting class last season? Would you know the major donors for USC, Ohio St, or Alabama unless you really want to go out of your way to find out? As a Power 5 school, Miami is already expected to have a decent NIL fund. The brand will be fine as long it doesn't develop a reputation for either being cheap or failling to meet their agreement with players.The only people who need intimate knowledge of the collectives are players and their agents, and they all do

If we finish with the #1 recruiting class like A&M, then we don't have anything to worry about, do we?

From the outside looking in, it looks like our biggest donor is having financial troubles, and so our recruiting class is struggling. We have some mystery collective which supposedly gives more than Ruiz did last year and yet our class is lower rated than FSU's and UF's at the moment.

I know UM would love for us all to "just be a fan," in other words... shut up, pay money for tickets, rah rah cheer and wave, and never criticize or question anything. Good luck with that.

Like I said before, moving in silence is fine when it works. But we're sitting here with a 5-7 record and the worst class among the Big 3, so I don't think it's wrong to say whatever they're doing behind closed doors hasn't worked so far and they haven't given us any reason to believe that it will suddenly START working.

Did we get any commits from the BBQ? I'm not aware of any.

Our biggest problem is that we are the only team I know that has a local newspaper who is always trying to undermine them and take them down. Healrd article calls Ruiz Miami's sugar daddy.
Additionally

"MSP Recovery, doing business as LifeWallet, is currently under federal investigation in response to a Freedom of Information Act request from the Miami Herald."

Advertisement
Not gonna dig up receipts and it was mostly in the basketball forum where folks (without a 5&7 record to blame) were expecting huge (NIL-related) portal pickups that mostly fell flat. I pointed out LIFW/Ruiz had been (and in some ways still was) the face of Miami NIL and because of the dire financial mutterings (and his own mutterings) we were headed for some disappointment...(or worse)

...and while thanking and appreciating Ruiz contributions, it was a calvary call to the Soffers and others to jump in and change the "see Ruiz" flavor of all-things-NIL. Seems that has happened if his share has gone from 80-90% to less than 20% (although thats not accurate for basketball). So Miami Herald GTFOH and things seem to be in OK hands now, (despite agreeing that Miami Admin is a bit lethargic in these matters.)

If we finish with the #1 recruiting class like A&M, then we don't have anything to worry about, do we?

From the outside looking in, it looks like our biggest donor is having financial troubles, and so our recruiting class is struggling. We have some mystery collective which supposedly gives more than Ruiz did last year and yet our class is lower rated than FSU's and UF's at the moment.

I know UM would love for us all to "just be a fan," in other words... shut up, pay money for tickets, rah rah cheer and wave, and never criticize or question anything. Good luck with that.

Like I said before, moving in silence is fine when it works. But we're sitting here with a 5-7 record and the worst class among the Big 3, so I don't think it's wrong to say whatever they're doing behind closed doors hasn't worked so far and they haven't given us any reason to believe that it will suddenly START working.

Did we get any commits from the BBQ? I'm not aware of any.
You just keep spewing bull****. My lord. Unplug your internet facing devices Susan. I promise you football will be here soon.

Having said that lemme retort.

1. Imagine being a UM fan thinking the outside narrative will be anything but vitriolic nonsense. You do realize 90% of America think UM is in Miami and not Coral Gables right....the research done is superficial and always will be.

2. Ruiz is not our biggest donor. He's not our main NIL avenue.

3. Going INTO year 2 you're already saying nothing has worked. Really? We're crowning FSU and UF are we in August while basing it off recruiting ranking? If we finish with a top ten class (wouldn't surprise anyone with a pulse) and a better record anyone complaining is an *******.

4. I'm willing to bet Mario "knows what he's doing" because he's done it twice now at FIU and Oregon. Lemme repeat FIU again. Do we need to win more games this year absolutely but you sound like a 16 year old female.

Please shut up now.

He had money well before LifeWallet went public, primarily from his law firm. Nobody has even alleged that "ill-gotten gains" from LifeWallet have been used in his personal life and "directly funneled into the university".

You are conflating a lot of events and money which should not be conflated, and giving people the wrong impression of what has happened.

The vast majority of John Ruiz's "wealth" from the SPAC was ON-PAPER wealth (which dissipated) and which has never resulted in cash-money conversion, due to their being no market for the ONCE-PROJECTED value of the company's stock and stock options once it went public and the trading restrictions were removed.

So, again, please shut up now.

Or else point out the LifeWallet stock sales and option exercises that have given Mr. Ruiz all of these "ill-gotten gains".

You can't. You won't.

Not to label them ill-gotten, but the majority of his wealth came from selling off portions of his legal claims portfolio prior to going public.

Advertisement
Back