LIFW

Advertisement
The school needs to treat this as a declaration of war from the Miami Herald. UM/Ruiz needs to sue them to oblivion to send a message that if you **** with us, you **** sure better have your **** in order.

I'd cut off all access for Miami Herald Reporters to the school for EVERYTHING. Tell them if they offer a retraction and get in line, we'll consider giving you access back.

The school has tolerated damaging/demeaning media for far too long and has been so hyper-concerned with any negativity towards the program that they try to appease these ****roaches trying to tear us down.

The media is never going to be on UM's side. Oh well **** them, they're a dying institution anyways. The school needs to get it driven in their head that it really is UM against the world.

Embrace the local community and tell everyone to **** right off, this is the New Miami and we don't give a **** what you think. Embrace the past and utterly dominate the future.

Lastly who cares about about the negative recruiting angle? If Mario is intelligent he can spin this into the ultimate recruiting tool. If every coach is telling you not to go to Miami, doesn't the little kid inside of you want to check it out?

The school needs to treat this as a declaration of war from the Miami Herald. UM/Ruiz needs to sue them to oblivion to send a message that if you **** with us, you **** sure better have your **** in order.

I'd cut off all access for Miami Herald Reporters to the school for EVERYTHING. Tell them if they offer a retraction and get in line, we'll consider giving you access back.

The school has tolerated damaging/demeaning media for far too long and has been so hyper-concerned with any negativity towards the program that they try to appease these ****roaches trying to tear us down.

The media is never going to be on UM's side. Oh well **** them, they're a dying institution anyways. The school needs to get it driven in their head that it really is UM against the world.

Embrace the local community and tell everyone to **** right off, this is the New Miami and we don't give a **** what you think. Embrace the past and utterly dominate the future.

Sue for what? accurately reporting that he's under investigation?

Ruiz's firm always operated in a legal niche that was constantly in danger of being regulated into non-existence. The SPAC went public with a valuation that was based on an insane idea that he was going to get 100% recovery on every single case in his inventory.
He should have continued doing what he was doing quietly and enjoyed being very wealth but his own greed and hubris got the better of him.

Advertisement
UM had nothing to do with Nevin’s Ponzi scheme or the running of his business either 😭🤣🤣🤣🤣 see how that set us back eh.

Ok maybe I’m out on a limb here but I would say any of the detractors of Ruiz have been saying the same thing for 2 years.

Once the court of public opinion gets involved (e.g. ESPN headline “Miami super booster Ruiz indicted for securities fraud”) it’s gonna do more damage to our brand and recruiting than an NCAA investigation will.
Do you realize how stupid the Nevin comparison is or do you need it spelled out?

1690743411332.gif

Advertisement
TOC - any issues with the money hes already paid out to UM and our athletes in case they do bring charges? im not a finance and tax expert

Highly unlikely.

Any business expenses, to the extent that they are legitimate and reasonable, would not be set aside or recouped.

LifeWallet paid for ads and promos. Those ads and promos were filmed. No athlete was paid a billion dollars. Nothing fraudulent, nothing problematic here.

I believe that donations to UM came from Mr. Ruiz personally. It's easier to use charitable donations on a 1040 than on an 1120 where you expect the company to be in a loss position for a few years (at least). And he does have his own law firm, which has paid him for quite a few years before LifeWallet went public.

Last edited:
TOC has it covered… remember, he gets paid by the word here… 😎

After I win the Mega Millions Jackpot this week, I’ll do my best to operate in silence… admittedly someone else’s best may be better for ensuring it happens, but I’ll try…

If you win, you'll only net about $300M...

Which is still nice, don't get me wrong...

Bringing a company public at a certain valuation via SPAC using fraudulent financial statements is fraud, has been fraud and always will be (and he will most likely go to jail for it).

Using said ill-gotten gains in his personal life, and directly funneling said gains into the university, and the football team directly implicates the university, and its players. There are certain people you shouldn't associate or take money from, and this loud mouth is one of them.

There are plenty of other donors who do not operate like this guys, but if you want to get out the knee pads because he's been on ESPN, so be it. Nothing in the article shows a gator spin. No different to what Forbes said a year ago...

Please shut up now.

He had money well before LifeWallet went public, primarily from his law firm. Nobody has even alleged that "ill-gotten gains" from LifeWallet have been used in his personal life and "directly funneled into the university".

You are conflating a lot of events and money which should not be conflated, and giving people the wrong impression of what has happened.

The vast majority of John Ruiz's "wealth" from the SPAC was ON-PAPER wealth (which dissipated) and which has never resulted in cash-money conversion, due to their being no market for the ONCE-PROJECTED value of the company's stock and stock options once it went public and the trading restrictions were removed.

So, again, please shut up now.

Or else point out the LifeWallet stock sales and option exercises that have given Mr. Ruiz all of these "ill-gotten gains".

You can't. You won't.

Advertisement
I mean I’m not going to bump old threads because I don’t like our rivals using this against us, but anyone surprised by the way this is working out had their head stuck in the sand… then again it’s easy to sell bull**** dreams to the desperate and 2001 is a lifetime ago so I’m right there with you.

Lastly who cares about about the negative recruiting angle? If Mario is intelligent he can spin this into the ultimate recruiting tool. If every coach is telling you not to go to Miami, doesn't the little kid inside of you want to check it out?
Miami is not officially associated with Ruiz, Ruiz makes private NIL deals with student athletes.

Theres nothing the university can and should do.

Highly unlikely.

Any business expenses, to the exten that they are legitimate and reasonable, would not be set aside or recouped.

LifeWallet paid for ads and promos. Those ads and promos were filmed. No athlete was paid a billion dollars. Nothing fraudulent, nothing problematic here.

I believe that donations to UM came from Mr. Ruiz personally. It's easier to use charitable donations on a 1040 than on an 1120 where you expect the company to be in a loss position for a few years (at least). And he does have his own law firm, which has paid him for quite a few years before LifeWallet went public.
thanks.

Advertisement

hes under investigation by the US Government not the herald.

Miami is not officially associated with Ruiz, Ruiz makes private NIL deals with student athletes.

Theres nothing the university can and should do.
Agreed but it ultimately is a reflection on UM to a certain degree.

I'm just over the school getting **** on by local media and nothing being done about it between Lebatard, Billy Corben, Barry Jackson, and others.

It doesn't happen at other big programs and if it does they get punished (UGA)

Life still had $3.4B of assets on its balance sheet. I like how that was just glossed over.

Everything else mentioned in that article is peanuts compared to that

Agreed but it ultimately is a reflection on UM to a certain degree.

I'm just over the school getting **** on by local media and nothing being done about it between Lebatard, Billy Corben, Barry Jackson, and others.

It doesn't happen at other big programs and if it does they get punished (UGA)
its miami, negative stories get clicks.

the downside of being a private school in a big town

Advertisement
Back