Letters of Intent

UMFarArcher

All-ACC
Are you telling me, that once you sign a Letter of Intent, and the school and apparently the NCAA work to withhold pending charges against a school until after Signing Day - which if known previously, would certainly have resulted in recruits not deciding to go there - that within a couple weeks of sending in said Letter of Intent - the student athlete can't void the contract?

Isn't withholding information like that justification for voiding their Letter of Intent?

Advertisement
The process is truly criminal, although not actually illegal.

There is simply NOTHING that the NCAA does with relation to student-athletes that is anywhere close to moral. They are a disgusting entity.

What happens if I change my mind about attending the institution with which I signed?

And I want to attend another NLI institution instead:
- The NLI basic penalty is that you lose one year of competition in all sports and must serve one year in residence at your next NLI institution.

But I do not want to attend another NLI institution:
- The penalty does not have to be served unless you attend an NLI institution.

Is an institution required to grant a complete release if I ask for it?

No. Just as the NLI is a voluntary agreement, granting a complete release is voluntary. If an institution denies your request for a complete release, you may petition the NLI Policy and Review Committee for Division I or the NLI Review Committee for Division II for such a release. In order to file an appeal, you must provide a copy of the NLI Release Request Form indicating "No Release." Once proper documentation has been submitted, the Committee will consider your request.

If my complete release is denied, is the institution obligated to provide a hearing?

No. You are not entitled to a hearing under NLI policy inasmuch as you are permitted to file an appeal when denied a complete release by the signing institution.

Last edited:
The process is truly criminal, although not actually illegal.

There is simply NOTHING that the NCAA does with relation to student-athletes that is anywhere close to moral. They are a disgusting entity.

Man, if I could Up Vote a hundred times, it still wouldn't be enough...

Didn't Seantrel get out of his USC NLOI when USC got drilled?

Any decent lawyer could get a kid out of a NLOI if there's evidence that the school conspired with the NCAA to hold off on announcing penalties or an investigation in order to dupe kids into signing with a school they thought was clean.

Advertisement

Any decent lawyer could get a kid out of a NLOI if there's evidence that the school conspired with the NCAA to hold off on announcing penalties or an investigation in order to dupe kids into signing with a school they thought was clean.

I think your right on both accounts.

Yeah, it seems in certain cases (kid was an extremely high profile recruit), the "bad look" quotient can be leveraged against the school.

What happens if I change my mind about attending the institution with which I signed?

And I want to attend another NLI institution instead:
- The NLI basic penalty is that you lose one year of competition in all sports and must serve one year in residence at your next NLI institution.

But I do not want to attend another NLI institution:
- The penalty does not have to be served unless you attend an NLI institution.

Is an institution required to grant a complete release if I ask for it?

No. Just as the NLI is a voluntary agreement, granting a complete release is voluntary. If an institution denies your request for a complete release, you may petition the NLI Policy and Review Committee for Division I or the NLI Review Committee for Division II for such a release. In order to file an appeal, you must provide a copy of the NLI Release Request Form indicating "No Release." Once proper documentation has been submitted, the Committee will consider your request.

If my complete release is denied, is the institution obligated to provide a hearing?

No. You are not entitled to a hearing under NLI policy inasmuch as you are permitted to file an appeal when denied a complete release by the signing institution.

And all that stupidness is compounded in the case of B. Mayfield (U OK QB) because Texas Tech won't grant him a release (which would give him an extra year of eligibility) when they never even gave him a scholarship - he was a walk-on there prior to transferring to Okalahoma.

What it does prevent is a bunch of recruiting shenanigans post signing day. Everyone around here always complains about sec bag men, imagine if they could keep hitting our recruits after nsd, especially on things like the trumped up charges we got a few years ago. I don't like Tennessee and ole miss but they deserve at least the same and probably better due process than we got (if you can call what we got due process).

Advertisement

I think your right on both accounts.

I think Seantrel became available after USC was found guilty of "Lack of institutional control" and subsequently subjected to certain players on their roster becoming eligible to transfer without having to require a release...... Similar deal with StatePenn after the Sandusky scandal in which they lost several players. Key point is that program has to be found guilty, not simply charged.

Do you think these kids even care about stuff like this? If anything, most of them likely see it as a commitment to football (and winning) by the university. Look at FSU. They are recruiting better than ever, post Jameis.

The only time a 18-20 year old would care is if it directly effects them. Like missing a bowl game or missing out on playing for a conference championship. Other then that they DGAF

Is signing a LOI the only avenue to attend a D1 school on a full sports scholarship? Obviously if you're a lower tiered athlete you want to lock in your deal, but what if you're a 5 star guy that multiple schools would hold a scholarship for?

Advertisement
Do you think these kids even care about stuff like this? If anything, most of them likely see it as a commitment to football (and winning) by the university. Look at FSU. They are recruiting better than ever, post Jameis.
They care if they can't go to bowl games or play for championships because the team is on probation.

Is signing a LOI the only avenue to attend a D1 school on a full sports scholarship? Obviously if you're a lower tiered athlete you want to lock in your deal, but what if you're a 5 star guy that multiple schools would hold a scholarship for?

Pretty sure the NLOI is the contract you sign when you accept the scholarship. In effect, it is the scholarship. No NLOI and you don't get the scholarship.

Advertisement

Yeah, it seems in certain cases (kid was an extremely high profile recruit), the "bad look" quotient can be leveraged against the school.

It has something to do with schools being banned from post season play. Ole Miss hasn't been hit with a post season ban so kids can't transfer freely. If they do get hit with a post season ban like USC, and Penn State, then players can transfer without penalty.

The players at Penn State weren't allowed to transfer simply because of scholarship reductions, or probation. It was the post season ban that allowed them to transfer to any school they wanted without having to sit out a year.

Pretty sure the NLOI is the contract you sign when you accept the scholarship. In effect, it is the scholarship. No NLOI and you don't get the scholarship.

There was a player last year or the year before that wouldn't sign the NLOI. The thing is that while it locks the player into the school it also locks the school to the player I believe so the school cannot decide to just not honor the scholarship. From the site referenced below:

Am I required to sign an NLI?

No. You are not required to sign an NLI but many prospective student-athletes sign because they want to create certainty in the recruiting process. Specifically, by signing an NLI, you agree to attend the institution for one year in exchange for the institution's promise, in writing, to provide you athletics financial aid for the entire academic year. Simply, by signing an NLI you are given an award including athletics aid for the upcoming academic year provided you are admitted to the institution and you are eligible for athletics aid under NCAA rules. Furthermore, by signing an NLI you effectively end the recruiting process. Once you sign an NLI, a recruiting ban goes into effect and you may no longer be recruited by any other NLI school.

When I sign an NLI what do I agree to do?

When you sign an NLI, you agree to attend the institution listed on the NLI for one academic year in exchange for that institution awarding athletics financial aid for one academic year.

NLI Frequently Asked Questions

There was a player last year or the year before that wouldn't sign the NLOI. The thing is that while it locks the player into the school it also locks the school to the player I believe so the school cannot decide to just not honor the scholarship. From the site referenced below:

Am I required to sign an NLI?

No. You are not required to sign an NLI but many prospective student-athletes sign because they want to create certainty in the recruiting process. Specifically, by signing an NLI, you agree to attend the institution for one year in exchange for the institution's promise, in writing, to provide you athletics financial aid for the entire academic year. Simply, by signing an NLI you are given an award including athletics aid for the upcoming academic year provided you are admitted to the institution and you are eligible for athletics aid under NCAA rules. Furthermore, by signing an NLI you effectively end the recruiting process. Once you sign an NLI, a recruiting ban goes into effect and you may no longer be recruited by any other NLI school.

When I sign an NLI what do I agree to do?

When you sign an NLI, you agree to attend the institution listed on the NLI for one academic year in exchange for that institution awarding athletics financial aid for one academic year.

NLI Frequently Asked Questions

The NLI is actually a series of one year contracts that the school chooses to renew. Once the first NLI is signed the player actually doesn't have an option but the school does. It's bull****. Saban is notorious for not renewing with players he doesn't feel lives up to his standards. Another case of the players having no power. The only time they have power is when they choose the school. After that, no power.

Incorrect. Do some research. This is not the first time someone has thought to challenge the NLI.

Having said that, I think there are a variety of very solid legal challenges. All of which have failed.

Advertisement
Back