Letter From Flake About The ACC

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Premium
Just hit my inbox. Good for Flake (for once).
------------------------------
November 5, 2015

Dear Hurricane Supporters:

What an incredible, exhilarating and hard fought victory on Saturday in Durham!* The eight-lateral, touchdown play which won the game will forever be cemented in college football lore and in our storied history.*

The fact that the ACC publicly acknowledged officiating errors on the play does not, in any way, take away our victory or our incredible spirit.**

Some of you have emailed me this week, concerned about the wording of the ACC response as well as the seemingly endless noise about The U not deserving the win.* I want to share briefly with you what has transpired since Saturday night.

Immediately after the game, I notified the conference office of my concerns regarding the officiating of our game.* On Sunday morning, I had a conference call with ACC Commissioner John Swofford and some of his staff, to discuss not only the play in question, but my concerns regarding officiating throughout the game.* Commissioner Swofford informed me that the league had determined that the officiating crew would be suspended for two weeks for officiating errors on the final play and that the conference would review the entire game film.* Per ACC policy our football staff submitted the plays we believed were incorrectly called as a matter of weekly protocol, and were notified by the league that multiple incorrect calls impacting our team occurred during the game, including a pass interference call on the final drive.

I spoke again with Commissioner Swofford on Monday, to voice my concern on how this situation was being handled and the negative light it was creating for our institution.* Rest assured, beginning just hours after our victory, the University was forceful yet respectful in our approach.

Earlier today we sent a formal letter to the conference office, summarizing and reiterating our concerns, and now consider this matter closed.* We have moved on to UVA and I am sure that all Canes will be ready to cheer on Coach Scott and our football players on Saturday!

Go Canes!

Blake James
Director of Athletics

Advertisement
Now that the wicked witch from the West is gone, dignity and testerone seems to be slowly but surely coming back to our program.

Someone forward that **** to ESPN and the Dook blowhards, ask why they don't push that and how it would have changed the game

Advertisement
Sounds like Blake is growing a set. Shalala was his Golden, Glad Frenk is giving him some more rope

Per ACC policy our football staff submitted the plays we believed were incorrectly called as a matter of weekly protocol, and were notified by the league that multiple incorrect calls impacting our team occurred during the game, including a pass interference call on the final drive.

That can't be right...

Seriously though, not a peep about that, of course. It's dying down now, but if any media jackwagon is still yapping about the game I'd love a response to this statement.

Advertisement
I really believe Blake has said and done all the right things since Donna left.

No.
He should not have said repeatedly that he would wait and evaluate Golden at the end of the season, putting himself in a corner. He should have known that he had superiors who can easily override his decisions and should have seen this outcome coming. He looked like someone who is not in control. He should have diverted the questions saying like he does not comment on the status of his coaching staff.

After thinking about this a bit more, I'm sorta ****ed.

So the ACC has "notified" Miami that "multiple incorrect calls" impacting the 'Canes occurred during the game, "including a pass interference call on the final drive." Okay.

Has the ACC "notified" the public, too? Because either it hasn't, despite its FORMAL OFFICIAL acknowledgment of suspending the officials in connection with the FINAL PLAY ONLY (resulting in the petty anti-Miami outrage for the past week). Or it's out there but the media has ignored it because it doesn't fit the narrative. Either way, what a crock of BS.

If it's not happening already, won't some of you Twitter peeps pump this everywhere...at least the part about the ACC owning up to multiple incorrect calls including PI on the final drive. I know this is dying down now, and part of me things whatever IDK what people think, but wtf it should be out there to even the narrative out a bit.

Advertisement
U guys act like u don't know how the media works. They all like to pile on to supplement their boring shows on TV that put people to sleep.

I want to know which play they are referencing on the final drive that was called a pass interference. I think Artie's int was not a pi, that would have ended the game. The last one called on Corn was not pi imo either. Only one that was actually pi was the first one called on corn.

Advertisement
Glad I'm not the only not fully satisfied. From a PR standpoint this has been handled poorly.
I don't necessarily want to hear that you are working behind the scenes when your brand is taking big hits.
Always get in front of the story, right? And that ship has sailed.

Advertisement
Back