Lets talk Jimmy Gaines

Problem2

All-American
Premium
And how all of a suddenly he has turned into a decent player. Maybe not a starter on a regular Miami level depth chart, but definitely someone who can do the job. Which is more then you can say about him in his first two years.

I don't know how they did it, but it is a pretty **** good indication of where we are headed if they can get this much out of him.

Advertisement
I'm a big fan of our NY kid. He's shown improvement and resiliency. Kinda made me double-take that he's a junior.

Go Canes!

Well he's not a fr or so anymore. For some reason people around here seem to think your going to ball out right away. It takes time look at the top teams. They have very few fr and so on the feild and most of those took a red shirt. Jimmy never got that chance.

Advertisement
It's called quality depth and Miami teams used to have it.

While we're lacking talent in some areas (DL, S and TE), there is a nice collection of quality depth at others (LB and OL).

Paul and Gaines are improving, it is a good thing.

Seems shocking to see his development, but we all have muted expectations when it comes to young inexperienced players growing into legitimate starters after ten years of watching solid recruits stagnate or regress as players though the length of their careers at UM. This batch of kids is getting proper coaching, AND mentoring. That hasn't happened in Coral Gables in a while. It's time for people to stop declaring kids failures after sub-par first seasons. Especially when the kids are thrown into the fire long before they SHOULD be playing because the prior staff left the cupboards a little bare in the upperclass talent department. I expect similar jumps by a lot of our DT's and DE's next year, and a big bounce back by our defense.

Very excited for where we will be next year at LB. Should be one of the best in the nation. Keep em healthy and not suspended tho.

Advertisement
His development is huge...he allows Denzel to slide to where he's more natural at WILL

Yep. Gaines always has had ability but I think we have struggled to get a good group of LB's together for a long time. Now with guys like DP, Paul, EJ, Kirby, it's making them all better individually as well

He's playing at a higher level than I thought he had. He'll never be a star, but is dependable.

Not seeing it with Gaines. He looks fine against teams with bad QB's because they don't throw to anyone in his zone. Looks terrible against a decent or good QB because he can't diagnose a fake.

Advertisement
Even though our defense as a whole has been horrendous, the LB group has been pretty good...as long as they stay healthy(DP), out of trouble (EJ) and consistent (jimmy) , I think they'll be really good when you throw gionni Paul and Kirby into the mix next season

Paul needs to lose weight badly. He shouldn't have a gut like that and I imagine he'd be more explosive if he weighed about 15 pounds less.

Not seeing it with Gaines. He looks fine against teams with bad QB's because they don't throw to anyone in his zone. Looks terrible against a decent or good QB because he can't diagnose a fake.

Agreed.

The future at LB is Kirby, EJ, and Denzel. All are explosive athletes, but we gotta hope EJ gets his head screwed on straight and Kirby starts making some more plays.

Advertisement
Someone will have to take the job from Gaines. From an intellect he's a guy who you want to MLB. As pointed out although a junior he's younger than both Perryman and EJ. Poor kid should have been Redshirted, and he still needs to get to 240 which he can easily carry on his frame. I have always been a big fan or his, but even I was very disappointed with his progress at one point. If he gets to 240 by adding muscle, he'll be our MLB next year.

What?

Paul is solid in the running game, it's the passing game where he needs to improve.

He is definitely not lost on every play when more often then not dude is around the ball carrier.

Advertisement
Back