Let's talk about types of spread offenses (long)

on a side note...I hate the phrase "read option" its redundant. I have never heard of a run game scheme called the read...I've heard of zone, power, counter, etc (and tagging read to it).

OK. I'm off my soap box now.

if you dont score 35-40+ a game you arent winning a national title. i dont know how many times i have to say this.

If you hold the other team to less, pretty sure you win.

care to keep arguing?

Untitled.jpg

Advertisement
on a side note...I hate the phrase "read option" its redundant. I have never heard of a run game scheme called the read...I've heard of zone, power, counter, etc (and tagging read to it).

if you dont score 35-40+ a game you arent winning a national title. i dont know how many times i have to say this.

not sure what this has to do with me not liking the phrase read option...but ok.

**** man, seeing that 02 O*U on there still chaps my *** after 13 freaking years.

not sure what this has to do with me not liking the phrase read option...but ok.

easier to score points why the spread. spread is higher scoring or SOFT as some have called it.

Advertisement

easier to score points why the spread. spread is higher scoring or SOFT as some have called it.

i guess you must be missing my point...I love the spread. I coach a spread O team. I just don't like the term "read option".

i guess you must be missing my point...I love the spread. I coach a spread O team. I just don't like the term "read option".

sorry, the read option to me is one aspect i'd like to see incorporated into our system.

I would fear Urban's the most because we did have weakness against QB runs up the middle sometimes, but Randy stop Urban and Tebow for 3 quarters in the swamp. If we had a proper Miami QB and coaching that year, well Urban might be missing one NC.

that was Bill Young's defense, not Randy's. The guy was only here for only a year and then left to be DC with Gundy at OKC. He was one of the better, and probably most underrated DC's we have had here.

sorry, the read option to me is one aspect i'd like to see incorporated into our system.

I'm not sure we could run the read option, since it's really not a play. It's a lazy attempt by commentators to try and describe a play that has a read built into it. It's like when they call any QB run a draw.

I believe you are trying to say that you want run more zone read (which is a real play).

Advertisement
I'd like to see more zone read here that actually involves a read/decision and isn't just a glorified handoff or playaction pass.

I have no desire to run zone read with Kayaa. I like what we do with him giving him more RPO's. We have been killing people reading the BSLB on zone and throwing the slant behind it.

If we have a more athletic QB in the next couple of years, i'd love more power read/inverted veer. It takes the best play in football (power) and adding that read element really screws with the PSDE

What UCLA does with Josh Rosen is pretty nice. tagging Quick game principles with run scheme, just another way to allow the QB to count the box and get into a good play.

I have no desire to run zone read with Kayaa. I like what we do with him giving him more RPO's. We have been killing people reading the BSLB on zone and throwing the slant behind it.

If we have a more athletic QB in the next couple of years, i'd love more power read/inverted veer. It takes the best play in football (power) and adding that read element really screws with the PSDE

Great post. I was speaking more philosophically than regarding Kaaya specifically. That said, we seem to be very predictable with our run game, would you agree?

Advertisement
i'll be 100% honest i have very little time to watch miami games in depth.(I tend to just watch teams that run similar stuff that we do to get new ideas) So, I've only seen highlights, chunks of play, etc. but now that my season is over ill be able to watch more.

I haven't either, but it just seems to me like a lot of our run concepts are both haphazard and predictable, if that's even a thing. Basically what strikes me most about all of the above offenses is how dang THOUGHTFUL they all are. They're built around making a defense commit to stopping one thing, then doing the opposite when they over-commit. That's as simple as it gets and yet we never seem to manage it on offense or defense.

I suspect if you handed Coley's exact playbook to a guy like Herman or Babers, you'd see a completely different offense week to week.

Same with D'No's defensive playbook - though I'm also convinced you could probably throw half of it out and still be fine, but that's another thread...

I'm not sure we could run the read option, since it's really not a play. It's a lazy attempt by commentators to try and describe a play that has a read built into it. It's like when they call any QB run a draw.

I believe you are trying to say that you want run more zone read (which is a real play).

yeah more zone read. i just want a qb who can run for a first down if needed.

Advertisement
I would fear Urban's the most because we did have weakness against QB runs up the middle sometimes, but Randy stop Urban and Tebow for 3 quarters in the swamp. If we had a proper Miami QB and coaching that year, well Urban might be missing one NC.

that was Bill Young's defense, not Randy's. The guy was only here for only a year and then left to be DC with Gundy at OKC. He was one of the better, and probably most underrated DC's we have had here.

I meant Randy as HC. But yeah Young was DC. Still it was like our traditional vs Golden defenses. They put the helmet on ole Tebow. Bunch of freshmen playing too. Had we not fallen, Urban and Satan would never have been the gods they are today. Donna made them and the SEC by removing us. Not ever sure USC makes its run except for Larry's complete failure. That is why nobody wants Butch back here.

why the fug was my post on this thread deleted? Here we go with that BS again.

It is quit easy to tell when someone has never had power or the ability to have a say so in anything. Particularly by the way they handle themselves when they do have a little of it.

why the fug was my post on this thread deleted? Here we go with that BS again.

It is quit easy to tell when someone has never had power or the ability to have a say so in anything. Particularly by the way they handle themselves when they do have a little of it.

Because it was a dumb, played-out GIF that added nothing to the thread.

i'll be 100% honest i have very little time to watch miami games in depth.(I tend to just watch teams that run similar stuff that we do to get new ideas) So, I've only seen highlights, chunks of play, etc. but now that my season is over ill be able to watch more.

It'll take you under 4 hours to see all of our plays. Unfortunately, we're somewhere between disjointed and wildly predictable. At least we can't guess the plays based on personnel groupings anymore.

Advertisement
Back