Let's talk about these midweek bullpen games

We gonna try this McFarlane/Garland/Palm/etc for 2 innings again this week? UCF can play.

Advertisement
I sure hope not. This is perfect game to get Keysor back in midweek rotation.

He looked like **** in his Pitt outing but I'm OK with giving him the start and seeing what he can do. He is an oddity in that the more velo he throws with the harder he gets hit. Maybe he is just trying to gas it and leaving the ball fat. He literally threw what looked like BP vs Pitt all the while the announcers were saying we were lucky he did not go Pro after last season, lol.

He looked like **** in his Pitt outing but I'm OK with giving him the start and seeing what he can do. He is an oddity in that the more velo he throws with the harder he gets hit. Maybe he is just trying to gas it and leaving the ball fat. He literally threw what looked like BP vs Pitt all the while the announcers were saying we were lucky he did not go Pro after last season, lol.
Were in a tough position at the moment. Mcfarlane has looked awful in his last 3 appearances. Garland go tagged against FAU. and Keysor was throwing meatballs this weekend in relief.

i still roll the dice and start Keysor.

Were in a tough position at the moment. Mcfarlane has looked awful in his last 3 appearances. Garland go tagged against FAU. and Keysor was throwing meatballs this weekend in relief.

i still roll the dice and start Keysor.
I agree. McFarlane has such a live arm I don't know what is going on. Of all the Fresh Palm has probably looked the best but only in spot relief. Give it to your Senior and go beat the #12 team in the nation on the road on a Wed night

Advertisement

I hear you but Keysor struggling out of the bullpen isn't anything new. He had an ERA of over 5 out of the pen last year, and it's more of the same this year. Things turned for him when he was inserted as the midweek starter last season. He seemed much more locked in and motivated in that role, and had a sub-3 ERA as a starter.

To me, it's a no brainer to start him vs UCF. McFarlane just isn't ready. He'll be a good one but he's too raw right now and his command just isn't there yet. And Garland at the very least can give you what Keysor has out of the bullpen.

UCF and FAU are going to shell us if DiMare throws McFarlane out there again. Keysor at least gives us a shot if he can replicate his performance from last season, and he'll also probably save the bullpen some innings

I hear you but Keysor struggling out of the bullpen isn't anything new. He had an ERA of over 5 out of the pen last year, and it's more of the same this year. Things turned for him when he was inserted as the midweek starter last season. He seemed much more locked in and motivated in that role, and had a sub-3 ERA as a starter.

To me, it's a no brainer to start him vs UCF. McFarlane just isn't ready. He'll be a good one but he's too raw right now and his command just isn't there yet. And Garland at the very least can give you what Keysor has out of the bullpen.

UCF and FAU are going to shell us if DiMare throws McFarlane out there again. Keysor at least gives us a shot if he can replicate his performance from last season, and he'll also probably save the bullpen some innings
I said give him a go my man, not sure what you read..... also FAU already did shell us

I have no idea what kind of stamina Palmquist has, but he appears to be the goods. Assuming he has starter stamina we could have a future weekend series 1-2-3 of Palm/McFarlane/Garland. Maybe sooner than we think.

Last edited:
Advertisement
McFarlane getting the start again according to the game notes. Sigh.

Advertisement
No chance McFarlane even gets through 2 innings. UCF will crush his fastball and I'm sure he'll then struggle to throw strikes. Just dumb to keep throwing him out there when he clearly isn't ready.

For someone who talks about the importance of playing well in midweek games, starting McFarlane over Keysor or even Garland makes no sense

I would love to know how Gino sees midweek games. Sometimes they feel more like an experiment than win at all costs.

I would love to know how Gino sees midweek games. Sometimes they feel more like an experiment than win at all costs.
Losing to FAU and UCF be it midweek or not is a bad look. But yeah, he seems less than concerned with winning them

Advertisement
Anyone have access?

Basically they're going with McFarlane and he won't be on a pitch count (as if that will be the concern). His reasoning is he wants to develop either McFarlane or Garland as a starter and thinks the midweek games are the place to do that. Sounds like Garland would get his shot if (when) McFarlane gets lit up again. But he talks about wanting to stick with a guy like Slade last year, and he really likes having Keysor out of the bullpen.

Basically they're going with McFarlane and he won't be on a pitch count (as if that will be the concern). His reasoning is he wants to develop either McFarlane or Garland as a starter and thinks the midweek games are the place to do that. Sounds like Garland would get his shot if (when) McFarlane gets lit up again. But he talks about wanting to stick with a guy like Slade last year, and he really likes having Keysor out of the bullpen.
Gino. What a disaster of a hire thus far.

McFarlane has a live arm, he struggles with control. I'm not near as down on him as others here are, I think he is going to be real good. That said I dont like him starting tonight, hope he surprises me. In terms of fresh I think Palm>AMac>Garland

Advertisement
Back