Let's put together a list of qualified WR and DB coaches

Advertisement
I stand corrected. You certainly know your stuff about Hawkins and Gill. How exactly will being fired for cause affect their ability to find other jobs? How much of a stigma is that? I guess we'll find out.

I will say this about the ASU coaches who have been fired.

I would like to know more about the role of the HC (who has curiously not been fired) and anyone else who directed the efforts. Otherwise, it appears that the lowest guys on the coaching org chart are being scapegoated.

Here is something to think about...try to compare a position coach with a solid history of good recruiting...to a an out-of-his-depth head coach who has not coached/recruited on the collegiate level SINCE THE 1980s...and then let's figure out who "needed" to cheat or who might have ordered others to cheat.

I'm not saying anything with absolute certainty here...but I do NOT think that Arizona State has properly investigated or assessed blame in this situation.

Advertisement
We should maybe give Brian Niedermeyer a look (provided he doesn't have a show cause) for a position.

Dude is teaching and coaching at STA. He was the freaking national recruiter of the year not too long ago and worked with Mario at Bama.

We should maybe give Brian Niedermeyer a look (provided he doesn't have a show cause) for a position.

Dude is teaching and coaching at STA. He was the freaking national recruiter of the year not too long ago and worked with Mario at Bama.
nieder.gif

It’s easy.

Lamar Thomas, Thrill Hill, Andre Johnson, or Michael Irvin for WR coach.

Ed Reed for DB coach. What recruit is saying no to these coaches?

Advertisement
Bring Beard back. He did a **** good job with wr's when he was here. Poach from Candle since he turned us down.

You can’t go from BMac to Kevin Beard. You just can’t. Mario has to make some big time, name hires after losing TRob and BMac or else it’s going to be a terrible look for the program.
****, anyone he gets will be a step down from B Mac when you factor in his coaching ability and recruiting prowess. It just is what it is at this point. Coley would be an option to serve a couple different roles, but wil he leave??

Advertisement
Fry me for this take if you want but I think Billy Gonzales, our former WR coach, would be a good plan B’ish option.

He’s a top developer at WR (granted this was working with Mac recruits) and recruiting wise, while he’s not great, I believe that’s more on being under Mullen that his true ability as a recruiter.

Advertisement
WR/Passing Game Coordinator: Tee Martin (didn’t Uncle Luke say a year or so ago he was trying to come here?)

CB Coach: Aazar Rahim or Steve Clinkscale if Harbaugh leaves
Tee Martin makes sense...his son is here already playing baseball so it makes sense.

Plus he could fill either role, as I believe he's been QB coach and WR coach in his career. I'd have to dig a bit as to which he's proven to be more successful coaching/recruiting

Dan Mullen as OC/QB coach - Works with Mario to decide the WR coach

Charlie Strong as DC-LB coach

AAR as DB coach (maybe even give him Co-DC title to learn under Strong so if/when Strong bolts, he's not completely green in preparing a DEF gamelan in major P5 cfb)

Let's freaking ride.

Fry me for this take if you want but I think Billy Gonzales, our former WR coach, would be a good plan B’ish option.

He’s a top developer at WR (granted this was working with Mac recruits) and recruiting wise, while he’s not great, I believe that’s more on being under Mullen that his true ability as a recruiter.
That boy was a beast recruiter at UF.

I particularly like his pull of Percy Harvin, who would later go on to choke him out.

Advertisement
Back