Let's hope we break out of the Nix Zone

The middle of the field is and will be there. When we used it, we did well.

Fisch was unusually bad inside the 15 yard line. He's channeling Andy Reid and Scott Linehan down there.

He had some well-designed plays otherwise. The first Duke drop was a near perfect design and call.

Advertisement
Yeah the Duke drop could have been a TD. Morris and Hurns were attacking the middle of the field. His loss really hurt.

Looked to me today that Morris was way too tentative and afraid to throw the ball down the field. It seemed on those plays, he just held on to the ball too long. I'm not sure that Morris has what it takes between the ears to be successful. That's what I've thought about him all along.

Advertisement
Looked to me today that Morris was way too tentative and afraid to throw the ball down the field. It seemed on those plays, he just held on to the ball too long. I'm not sure that Morris has what it takes between the ears to be successful. That's what I've thought about him all along.

Agreed. He definitely looked more 'game manager' than 'game winner.' It may not have changed the outcome of the game, but i would've like to have seen a deep throw or two today.

Fisch was unusually bad inside the 15 yard line. He's channeling Andy Reid and Scott Linehan down there.

He had some well-designed plays otherwise. The first Duke drop was a near perfect design and call.

Its crazy because Morris works the middle well. Time to take off the training wheels (I hope) because Morris can play the position, let him roll. I whole heartedly disagree with those saying Morris is a game manager type QB, kids a playmaker they just have to let him go.

We are too conservative on both sides of the ball, let these kid make mistake, aggressive mistakes are acceptable.

Last edited:
I highly encourage interested parties to go read ADodger's earlier posts in this thread. Great stuff.

Advertisement

Its crazy because Morris works the middle well. Time to take off the training wheels (I hope) because Morris can play the position, let him roll. I whole heartedly disagree with those saying Morris is a game manager type QB, kids a playmaker they just have to let him go.

We are too conservative on both sides of the ball, let these kid make mistake, aggressive mistakes are acceptable.

Agree, he can make throws J12 couldn't, it's time to let him. He has shown that he can take care of the ball better this season, it's time to take some intermediate and deep shots.

I'm just not of the opinion that college teams philosophically change for one game--unless there's an injury or something along those lines that forces them to scale back for instance. It's hard for me to believe that this is not just what we want to do. I'm not saying that it will be this drastic for the entire season, but it takes a lot of time to get college players (FRESHMEN) in tune with a quick hitting offense like that. I can't fathom that we have entire other offensive identities that we've also got these freshmen in tune with. I guess we'll see.

If that's true, Penn, I'm simply concerned. The most uncomfortable place to be playing against a quick-hitting, spread offense, should be for those opposing OLBs or Nickel DBs. They should be worried about the balance between the run game and the horizontal passing game AND they should be worried about eventually getting hit over the top as they inch forward. If that latter threat isn't there, it becomes infinitely easier to play defense.

I guess we'll see.

Let's revisit, everyone?

The weird thing is we had actually been a deep passing team the last few weeks until yesterday. We were looking very Eagles-ish, all or nothing. I'm convinced that Morris' short to intermediate accuracy is holding the offense back.

The weird thing is we had actually been a deep passing team the last few weeks until yesterday. We were looking very Eagles-ish, all or nothing. I'm convinced that Morris' short to intermediate accuracy is holding the offense back.

His deep accuracy, too.

Morris's deep ball was amazing against NC State, and he put a few on the money against GTech and Notre Dame, but other than that his deep ball has been utter ****.

He throws the ball too flat, and he often throws it late.

The problem is exacerbated when we're asking him to throw the ball 48 times a game. I think Fisch overestimated what he had in Morris.

Advertisement

His deep accuracy, too.

Morris's deep ball was amazing against NC State, and he put a few on the money against GTech and Notre Dame, but other than that his deep ball has been utter ****.

He throws the ball too flat, and he often throws it late.

The problem is exacerbated when we're asking him to throw the ball 48 times a game. I think Fisch overestimated what he had in Morris.

I think we all did. NCST was a mirage.

NC State wasn't a mirage...ya'll just saw the numbers but didn't put it into context.

71% of his yardage came on 9 plays. Of those 9 plays...4 of them accumulated for over 190 yards and 2 touchdowns. Those plays came against a team that stopped playing defense because of a whistle. Heady on Morris' part...but it doesn't show me anything, either.

NC State wasn't a mirage...ya'll just saw the numbers but didn't put it into context.

71% of his yardage came on 9 plays. Of those 9 plays...4 of them accumulated for over 190 yards and 2 touchdowns. Those plays came against a team that stopped playing defense because of a whistle. Heady on Morris' part...but it doesn't show me anything, either.

Believe me. I wasn't fooled by that game.

After the GTech game, I said that was the worst 400-yard performance I'd ever seen.

After the NC State game, I said that was the worst 500-yard performance I'd ever seen.

It seems silly to say after emotionally satisfying wins, but our offense was dead for long stretches of those two games. Dead.

He's not a consistent QB. Period.

Advertisement

This is exactly it. All I ask is that people place things in proper context. My concerns are and have always been "how does this apply when it counts" and "can this be repeated with sufficient consistency."

Like I said yesterday, you can't consistently expect what happened against NC State because a number of those plays were either gimmick or broken.

Why can't we just power run. We have the players for it. Let's keep the ball and run until its stopped. This is reminding me of whipple and jacory. You know he can't make certain passes yet is forcing the issues. Somehow I think golden is gonna have a talk with him and we will see more running plays against VT

Why can't we just power run. We have the players for it. Let's keep the ball and run until its stopped. This is reminding me of whipple and jacory. You know he can't make certain passes yet is forcing the issues. Somehow I think golden is gonna have a talk with him and we will see more running plays against VT

What have you seen from the line to make you think we can be a power running team? We get blasted by any decent run d.

That's what I meant. A lot of those passes were wide open busted plays.

Advertisement
Back