Let me tell you a little bit about Jamar Cheney

Trying to be like Clemson. Have their offense and keep rotating guys from inside rather than changing the o every year.

Likens at co-OC or whatever isn't the worst move in the world. If he truly is a 3-4 year guy rather than a 2 year rental, then why not? He has the experience for it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
LB is much like RB in the sense that 80% of the playing the position is INSTINCTUAL.
It's nowhere near as technical as D-line or DB. You guys are over-emphasizing the whole "development" thing.

In a perfect world your DL coach would recruit/develop a kick-a$$ D-line that would allow your LB's to use their instincts, run free and tackle everything that moves.

The guy with the best nose for the football plays LB, and that's not something you can teach. You also can't teach speed, intensity, a dog mentality and "want to". You RECRUIT those traits.
You can develop little nuances and techniques like striking/defeating blocks, pass drops, tackling, etc...but you can't even get to the point of USING THOSE THINGS unless the kid is going in the right direction first.

Likens will likely take over for lashlee. Even recruits know this. Likens is a legit
Oc

When was he a legit OC? I swear I’m not trying to be an *******, but when did he show he was a good OC? I’m trying to figure out why everyone would be so on board with this. I get it, continuity is important, but I’ll sacrifice that for a good coach and what good is continuity if the coach can’t cut it? His 4 seasons having control of the offense on the P5 level, his total O’s were 123, 120, 59, and 96? Why is he labeled legit?

LB is much like RB in the sense that 80% of the playing the position is INSTINCTUAL.
It's nowhere near as technical as D-line or DB. You guys are over-emphasizing the whole "development" thing.

In a perfect world your DL coach would recruit/develop a kick-a$$ D-line that would allow your LB's to use their instincts, run free and tackle everything that moves.

The guy with the best nose for the football plays LB, and that's not something you can teach. You also can't teach speed, intensity, a dog mentality and "want to". You RECRUIT those traits.
You can develop little nuances and techniques like striking/defeating blocks, pass drops, tackling, etc...but you can't even get to the point of USING THOSE THINGS unless the kid is going in the right direction first.
See a kid like flagg. Even though he’s not a stud athlete. He was an inexperienced freshman who always sniff out the direction of the play
Huff is a stud athlete and can’t make it work just yet

When was he a legit OC? I swear I’m not trying to be an *******, but when did he show he was a good OC? I’m trying to figure out why everyone would be so on board with this. I get it, continuity is important, but I’ll sacrifice that for a good coach and what good is continuity if the coach can’t cut it? His 4 seasons having control of the offense on the P5 level, his total O’s were 123, 120, 59, and 96? Why is he labeled legit?
Cause he took mediocre to below mediocre programs in Cal and Kansas, made their players look good and then went to ASU, where he should have never been fired in the first place.

Advertisement
See a kid like flagg. Even though he’s not a stud athlete. He was an inexperienced freshman who always sniff out the direction of the play
Huff is a stud athlete and can’t make it work just yet
Exactly. Good example.
Kid showed a natural nose for the football.
There's tons of examples of Freshman LB's who contribute early, long before they could be "developed" by their college coach.

Cause he took mediocre to below mediocre programs in Cal and Kansas, made their players look good and then went to ASU, where he should have never been fired in the first place.

“made their players look good”
That sounds subjective. Im looking at all of the numbers, and none of them scream “legit”. We’ll see. I’ll go on record and say that I wouldn’t be a fan of that and then promoting another first time coach in Cooney to WRC? Only at UM.

“made their players look good”
That sounds subjective. Im looking at all of the numbers, and none of them scream “legit”. We’ll see. I’ll go on record and say that I wouldn’t be a fan of that and then promoting another first time coach in Cooney to WRC? Only at UM.
A lot of them were Award winning candidates. Cal set record marks for passing while he was there.

A lot of them were Award winning candidates. Cal set record marks for passing while he was there.

I’m sure they did. They also had a Head Coach that was the play caller and is one of the biggest Air Raid revolutionaries in CFB History. So I’m going to go out on a limb and say that was more him since he was calling the plays and running the show. JMO.

Advertisement
Agree when I saw our linebackers IMO it wasn't coaching mishaps it was a talent issue. Sometimes they made plays but when anyone says we have "good iq" that means the talent is bad. Bring me a recruiter at this point fuq the rest.
We need an evaluator first and foremost. We’ve targeted the wrong guys at LB for ages, imo.

Manny's first group was Steed, Jennings and Wilder. His second class was just Joyner. That's what he recruited as DC/LB coach (the Shaq - Pinckney first year's class was set before he got here.) As HC, he recruited Huff and Brooks the first year; Flagg and Cave the second year, and T. Davis (maybe DE), Troutman and T. Johnson this year.

The lack of guys with real ball instincts is 100% on Manny. He hasn't been focused on that in his LB recruits.

JJ used to talk about recruiting safeties to play LB. Manny seems to prefer recruiting HS rush ends to play the position.

Agreed. I'm struggling to think of any of the top LBs from my era (I'm 35) that didn't ball as freshmen.

Ray Lewis and Dan Morgan were tackling machines out the gate. Jon Vilma was good from Day 1 but only waited a year because Morgan was in front of him. Sean Spence was making plays against UF in his first college game. Even Shaq and Pinckney combined for 145 tackles, 17.5 TFLs and 6 sacks as true freshmen. Jon Beason and DJ Williams played offense as freshmen but were starters after that.

Advertisement
Catchers as managers in baseball and lb’s and qb’s in football. They all control the games on field.
Might also add safeties/DBs in that mix, seems like they are the field generals in certain defenses. Especially now with offenses becoming more pass heavy.

We need an evaluator first and foremost. We’ve targeted the wrong guys at LB for ages, imo.

Manny's first group was Steed, Jennings and Wilder. His second class was just Joyner. That's what he recruited as DC/LB coach (the Shaq - Pinckney first year's class was set before he got here.) As HC, he recruited Huff and Brooks the first year; Flagg and Cave the second year, and T. Davis (maybe DE), Troutman and T. Johnson this year.

The lack of guys with real ball instincts is 100% on Manny. He hasn't been focused on that in his LB recruits.

JJ used to talk about recruiting safeties to play LB. Manny seems to prefer recruiting HS rush ends to play the position.
That linebacker room on paper is awful

Advertisement
Back