Let’s talk wide receivers

It’s also easier to stop a running game by throwing numbers at it. We watched teams load the box against us and dare us to throw for years. It’s easy to dedicate more guys to stopping the run when the offense doesn’t stretch the field vertically AND horizontally. A big component of the Air Raid system is using really wide splits for your receivers. It forces defenses to cover the entire field and pretty much takes defensive backs out of the equation as run defenders. Everything is about gaining a numbers advantage. Keep as many defenders out of position to defend the run and it’s basically your 5 linemen, QB and running back against a defenses’ front 4 and 2 linebackers. 7 vs 6. It’s how Art Briles was able to consistently dominate teams on the ground even though he was running an “Air Raid” system.

I recommend checking out the 2015 Russell Athletic Bowl for anyone who thinks you can’t dominate the run game with an Air Raid system. Baylor was down to a third string quarterback and their #1 running back and receiver were also out. Briles used a crazy combination of receivers lined up at QB and set an all time bowl game rushing record. They rushed for 645 yards against UNC while only attempting 17 passes. All simply because they had a numbers advantage pretty much the entire game. UNC knew Baylor couldn’t throw the ball but they couldn’t just leave guys uncovered to send the extra man to defend the run.

Advertisement
True indeed. I’m of the belief that Maye’s ranking would have been higher had he played his senior year. He ended at 56. From everything I know about it Mack had him compete as long as they did truly because his head is in the clouds at times and they’re keeping him centered. Not because it was a real close comp. That’s neither here nor there because he still has to play a real game. And he has downs and a couple other guys. I think that game is gonna surprise most people. I didn’t describe Pitt’s situation as good. I think slovis in the system Pitt’s seems to be implementing will be serviceable. That’s all they need from him. I think in terms of talent we’re sleeping on unc. Regarding A&M max lost the job if I’m to believe the rumors. Haynes will start week 1.
That seems to be the feeling on their boards too. Jimbo declined to name his starting QB yesterday in his presser. Has people confused because they ALWAYS name their starting QB after the 2nd scrimmage

I think KS , JG and RB can all be solid. I think that’s their floor. I’m not expecting anyone in that group to be Rambo but I’m not expecting a flop either. Solid to pretty good seasons.

Redding and Ladson are the guys we need one of them to actually “ step up”. One of them needs to be solid or pretty good in their roles as a physical guy winning some 1 v 1’s. Redding‘s name has been popping up more lately.
Has anyone seen where Redding sits on the current depth chart? I really like Redding’s game and was hoping to see him step up and separate himself from the pack last season but I think he got dinged up last year if I’m not mistaken. It’s good to hear his name pop up again. He was an IMG guy and was offered by a bunch of big time programs including Bama and Jawga. He’s a talented guy who should benefit from better coaching and if he gets the opportunity to play, he could really shine and carve out a nice college career that could lead to a look at playing in the league. I can’t even begin to fathom how frustrating it must have been for a lot of these wideouts on the squad over the past 2 seasons. Watching guys in front of them drop all those balls and continue to get that burn must have been exhausting. I know it was for me and I’m just a fan.

Advertisement
That seems to be the feeling on their boards too. Jimbo declined to name his starting QB yesterday in his presser. Has people confused because they ALWAYS name their starting QB after the 2nd scrimmage
Part of me is thinking he’s gonna do the unthinkable at start the freshman but that’s way too bold for jimbo

I'm not worried about the receivers because the run game gone make it easier for them and TvD.

I'm going full Homer status just like Mario/Mirabal. They have confidence in the offense mainly because they are confident, to the point of ****y, in their ability to teach/develop the position.

You remember how offended Mirabal was when someone implied the Olinemen on the team weren't up to par or something of the much
But the run game is a question mark until proven other wise. The o-line has sucked at run blocking for years now

Advertisement
I can’t wait til football actually starts tomorrow. I can’t stomach to read another prediction about how great Clemson is gonna be bc they have a good dline.

Advertisement
@Cribby - correct me if I am wrong but someone said something about next year being a great year for South Florida receivers. Any truth to that and are the Canes in on any of these prospects. I realize that this year was a great year for South Florida wide receivers and we have missed on some of the bigger names (Hykeem yet to commit until next month and lots of A&M smoke).

@Cribby - correct me if I am wrong but someone said something about next year being a great year for South Florida receivers. Any truth to that and are the Canes in on any of these prospects. I realize that this year was a great year for South Florida wide receivers and we have missed on some of the bigger names (Hykeem yet to commit until next month and lots of A&M smoke).
Two of the type of WRs we need go to the same school (Chaminade):

We'll become what we hope when we start pulling these premium position kids away from OSU and Bama, etc.

Advertisement
I can’t wait til football actually starts tomorrow. I can’t stomach to read another prediction about how great Clemson is gonna be bc they have a good dline.
The amount we discuss the holes on our roster without seeing the holes on others is crazy. Who is their elite number 1 Wideout? Their QB in the same world as ours?

Depends on the opponent. The tougher teams can neutralize Rooster, Thad, and Parrish. That's why I'm bummed Chaney and Citizen are out, they're the kind of backs who can make something out of nothing.
My bad. I was editing my post and hit post by mistake.

But I don't see anyone on our schedule neutralizing our backs and Oline.

But the run game is a question mark until proven other wise. The o-line has sucked at run blocking for years now
It's a question mark to YOU.

It ain't a question mark to me. The absolute leaders of this team are 2 former Olinemen and Oline tacticians. The 2 men together are a fusioned Savant for line developing.

They came to this team assessed it, and didn't see Oline as weakness. Said publicly that Oline wasn't a weakness, and didn't really attack oline in the portal that heavy based upon their assessment and how they think they can mold these young men.

I'm not worried about any year prior to this one. This school has never seen a Oline coach that has a resume even close to Mirabals.

Dude legit turns sh*t into sugar.

Combine a Mario/Mirabal Oline with Gattis ability to make opposing defenses think more than react?

And you got a dangerous offense with or without Calvin Ridley, Amari Cooper, and Jerry Jeudy at the Wr spots.

Advertisement
Back