Let’s talk wide receivers

First off I’m not saying TVD is better , BY just won the Heisman but let’s trade personnel / rosters. What happens ? Does BY throw for 300 3 Td six straight games ? Just saying.
Absolute truth.

We spend years waiting for a stud QB, finally have one, and now want to nitpick him/poo poo him rather than give him his due credit.

Advertisement
That’s why I was skeptical with bringing in a OC like Gattis. The same **** happened with Enos, any OC that wants to run a pro style and complex attack at Miami should be fired immediately. I went to the first spring game with Enos and 80% of the players were lost and having to be guided to their spots by position coaches. This years spring game wasn’t as bad but the offense was boring and slow as fck. No explosion whatsoever.

Gattis is a great OC and coach no doubt, but he’s definitely not a fit here in my opinion. At Miami, it should be a no brainer to run a simple spread yet balanced offense predicated on space and speed. We were clamoring for the spread for a decade and we finally got a glimpse of its effectiveness last year when King went down and Lashlee decided to let TVD air it out. We were winning games by simply outscoring our opponents. Now when Mario comes in everyone suddenly forgets about it and decides to give Mario the benefit of the doubt just because. I’m just letting y’all know now, this offense will not be very good and expect the defense to carry the team. Thankfully we have an outstanding QB, because if it wasn’t for that we would really be doomed.
We’ll see what it looks like through 4-5 games, but simple concepts did lead to explosive plays, something I would think GATTIS will have a whole package around this, or hurry up. They can really be multiple and hard to game plan b/c TVD command of the O. He’s a big kid who‘s advantage over other elite QB’s is his mind. Kid picks up playbook/ entire offenses quickly. Clear he processes quick and makes good decisions.

This versatility of GATTIS OFFENSE over lashhlee hurry up spread when games matter, close games or playoffs or bowls will show up.

I think the combination of More complex offense and having to think and process & legit long physical secondary is the reason.

I forgot which player said it, but they named three teams, one being the patriots that the offense was in the mold of. The patriots run a lot of option routes, where they process and identify the right route to run on a given play. Many guys struggled with this. To your point, if they are in their own head, that lack of focus leads to drops.
Also, with 12 personal and even 11, we can free up guys on play action whether it be on the outside, likely to heavily feature the TE’s. Restrepo is going to be a guy. TVD and him are close w/ great rapport and trust.

they key to the play action and helping guys open or playing in space is the run game, so it makes sense why Mario has a heavy focus on run game. If it’s working watch out. If it’s not, they still have guys to make plays.

I wonder why there is no mention of using skinner as the wr to win 1 on 1 battles
Biggest mismatch with a cb we have
There's no mention of it because they plan to use him in that manner. We don't necessarily need Skinner to move to WR. I'm sure Gattis will find a way to get him isolated in a mismatch.

Advertisement
I like Smith out of that group I didnt like Brinson cause I always like guys that can pull away at wr and I felt like he cant pull away (against top tier programs) but we will see. Guys lower rated put up numbers for sure but when its the blue bloods they wont do anything and thats my point, I want guys that can make plays against top tier comp cause thats where we are headed
Ehh the best WR on the league is a white boy from Eastern Washington. If you’re good you’re good.

Advertisement
You started your post with “Not all teams that finish in the top 10 or start out in the top 10 have a top 10 roster. Then ended it with “ we only play like 2 teams that actually do have an overall roster better than us”. I’m messing with you but it reminded me of this lol

I don’t even have to play the video to know it’s the part where he’s denying that Charlie and Eddie kicked his *** and then he just says ok it happened. Lol

It's fine for you to be pessimistic. Saying one player gonna derail a position group with 4 or 5 experienced player makes zero sense. 🤔
It’s not entirely crazy when you consider what he’s saying which is that we have a lot of DL’s but 1 massive space eater and if we loss that space eater there isn’t another individual who can fill that same role. It changes the defense and how they call the game.

The same **** happened with Enos, any OC that wants to run a pro style and complex attack at Miami should be fired immediately
Gattis and Enos do not even run the same schemes. Its not even close.

This years spring game wasn’t as bad but the offense was boring and slow as fck. No explosion whatsoever.
Because there were very few coverage breakdowns and good coverage overall in man. Also, its a ******* spring game lmao

Gattis is a great OC and coach no doubt, but he’s definitely not a fit here in my opinion. At Miami, it should be a no brainer to run a simple spread yet balanced offense predicated on space and speed
Funny, thats what Gattis tried to run at Michigan for his first years until he switched to an offensive style that fit his personnel more. You know, what a good OC usually does.

We were clamoring for the spread for a decade and we finally got a glimpse of its effectiveness last year when King went down and Lashlee decided to let TVD air it out. We were winning games by simply outscoring our opponents. Now when Mario comes in everyone suddenly forgets about it and decides to give Mario the benefit of the doubt just because.
Thats not true at all. Mario himself in public stated the offense is too inconsistent in finishing explosive plays down the field and receivers are struggling to win contestee catches... you know, the things we also struggled with when Lashlee was around.
I’m just letting y’all know now, this offense will not be very good and expect the defense to carry the team. Thankfully we have an outstanding QB, because if it wasn’t for that we would really be doomed.
Oh gosh yes, when Gattis had McNamara his offense was really struggling last year (ranked 5th in OFEI) vs Miami (ranked 50th). Also, what is "very good" for you? Top 10? If you expected that, I hate to break it to you, but Miami does not possess the talent for a Top 10 offense. Top 30 maybe, not Top 10. Even in 2020, Miami ranked 22nd in OFEI.

Your entire post contained a whole lot of nonsensical rambling and nothingless and very little actual accurate content and talking points. Well done. I hope we can come back to this pile of mopedity mope mope mope.

Advertisement
And I hate to say it, but as long as we primarily recruit South Florida, our kids will never have the capacity to learn complex NFL type systems.
True, South Florida WRs never had to learn complex systems in both College or the NFL to be successful later on. It absolutely never happened in the past 50 years. South Florida WRs were never successful, because everything was too complex.

You're a condescending grade A+ piece of ****.

Advertisement
It’s not entirely crazy when you consider what he’s saying which is that we have a lot of DL’s but 1 massive space eater and if we loss that space eater there isn’t another individual who can fill that same roll. It changes the defense and how they call the game.
Thanks for explaining, I‘m surprised it was necessary but oh well. There’s a handful of guys we can’t lose or it would be a major hit to the season. We can’t lose any of the top four dt’s but D Jackson would be awful. At least with the other guys we can slide messidor, Elijah or Lichtenstein inside to cover their losses. Same with our OT’s, Rivers, TS , te’s or the remaining rb’s . As an example losing TS would completely change how we do things , like rolling coverage elsewhere. Leaving him in on an island occasionally. Who else would you trust to do that?

Last edited:
I believe this is what is happening. No sense in ratcheting down the intensity when you haven’t played a game.

It would be nice if he installs some of the concepts from last year for continuity. But it’s still camp. He is teaching his system to a lot of young guys facing a defense that got much more physical overnight. They all, including Gattis, will need time to adjust.
Its all about match ups. Gattis will run plays according to how Miami's WR's and TE's match up against the opposing defense. You might see Skinner in the red zone for example. Get your guys the ball in space and make plays. A better run game will elevate the passing game. Cannot be one dimensional. Every defense tries to make its opponent one dimensional.

And outside of the SEC Championship Game that Georgia defense crushed every offense they faced including Alabama's offense in the rematch. As an OC who got his offense crushed by Georgia, Josh Gattis isnt special as he had a lot of company. Going into that playoff game Michigan was doomed. They had a pedestrian QB and their WR didn't scare a squad like UGA.
The only offense that whipped Georgia was the healthy Alabama team that played them in the conference championship game. They did it by torching them through the air for 421 yards. If you line up against a defense like that and try to beat them with a power rushing game, you’re done before you even start. Michigan couldn’t run all over them and stood no chance.

Thanks for explaining, I‘m surprised it was necessary but oh well. There’s a handful of guys we can’t lose or it would be a major hit to the season. We can’t lose any of the top four dt’s but D Jackson would be awful. At least with the other guys we can slide messidor, Elijah or Lichtenstein inside to cover their losses. Same with our OT’s, Rivers, TS , te’s or the remaining rb’s . As an example losing TS would completely change how we do things , like rolling coverage elsewhere. Leaving him in on an island occasionally. Who else would you trust to do that?

We’ll be walking a razors edge at those spots.
Do you think Allen Haye can be that guy? He hasn't put much on tape yet, but Mario complimented him recently.

Advertisement
Back