Let’s talk wide receivers

I’ve never said we have a three deep on the DL. I’ve said we have pass rushers and a bunch of hybrid types, good ones. I’ve also said multiple times my buggiest issues is there’s no stumps in the middle minus Jackson. He’s a space eater that disrupts. Lacking big bodies is a concern. Just because its a talented defense and I expected it to be a good doesn’t mean if‘s perfect or doesn’t have holes. There’s a few guys we can’t lose.
Losing one guy on the DL is not gonna derail our defense. We have multiple guys who can be effective inside. Maybe not what Jackson brings but as a group they can and can do different things. Multiple people who have been at practice and others who knows says our DL will be a strength.

Also I distinctly remember Steele saying the play of the DBs was his biggest surprise of the Spring. Tyrique was not in the spring. Didn't sound like it was just one player reliant or one player based statement. Losing multiple players at the same position is what cause massive problems for a D. Offense somewhat different. DB and DL, entire units are 2 of the deepest positions on the team, yes including CB and DT. What they lack in top end proven talent so far they make up for in alot of experience. It's gonna take multiple injuries to change my mind on that, like what happened at RB.

Advertisement
Losing one guy on the DL is not gonna derail our defense. We have multiple guys who can be effective inside. Maybe not what Jackson brings but as a group they can and can do different things. Multiple people who have been at practice and others who knows says our DL will be a strength.

Also I distinctly remember Steele saying the play of the DBs was his biggest surprise of the Spring. Tyrique was not in the spring. Didn't sound like it was just one player reliant or one player based statement. Losing multiple players at the same position is what cause massive problems for a D. Offense somewhat different. DB and DL, entire units are 2 of the deepest positions on the team, yes including CB and DT. What they lack in top end proven talent so far they make up for in alot of experience. It's gonna take multiple injuries to change my mind on that, like what happened at RB.
@Cribby The kool-aid is heavy with this one I'd bow out.

The problem is people here think we are a top 10 team this year. We haven't recruited on a top 10 level and just changing coaches doesn't mitigate facts. Now in 2 years if we can't get top 10 fly the banner.
We don’t have a top ten roster. I think we have enough front line talent to be a top 10-15 team. We duct taped this thing up good enough to make a run to the Acccg. Once again it depends on injures.

I never compared anything, that’s the point. I put 2 videos and asked someone if they noticed a difference. I asked the guy a direct question, I wasn’t implying anything. I was simply asking for the guys opinion.
By putting two videos there and asking if you notice a difference, that is the very definition of comparing, wtf are you talking about.
Clearly you ARE trying to imply something and it wasn't just to an innocent question, because If it were you'd actually ask something specific instead of just saying "do you notice anything?" That isn't a direct question lol

Last edited:
Advertisement
We don’t have a top ten roster. I think we have enough front line talent to be a top 10-15 team. We duct taped this thing up good enough to make a run to the Acccg. Once again it depends on injures.
9-3 would still probably get us to ACCG. As long as we beat Pitt.

Not all teams that finish in the top 10 or start out in the top 10 have a top 10 roster. We can absolutely outplay the overall talent level because at by far the most important position on the team we have a top 3-6 player at his position - QB. Secondly if we finished ranked 13 instead of like 9th, only haters are going to be making a big deal about the difference...

We can talk about WR and LBs and RB/CB depth with injuries all we want, but if TVD plays at an elite level, we will be pretty ******* good. And whether or not we have a top 10 overall roster or not isn't that important since we only play like 2 teams that actually do have an overall roster better than us.

It's fine for you to be pessimistic. Saying one player gonna derail a position group with 4 or 5 experienced player makes zero sense. 🤔
You once said TVD was better than Bryce Young it was at that point I knew the goggles were on too tight.

Advertisement
I’ve never said that lunacy .

We don’t have many space eater like Jackson, he’s an absolute handful. I’ve said big bodies inside is the one area I don’t like. We have a bunch of ends and hybrid guys.
In other words, the drop-off from Jackson to Miller to Haye is massive.

By putting two videos there and asking if you notice a difference, that is the very definition of comparing, wtf are you talking about.
Clearly you ARE trying to imply something and it wasn't just to an innocent question, because If it were you'd actually ask something specific instead of just saying "do you notice anything?" That isn't a direct question lol
Nah bro you got it wrong. I asked the guy to compare, I didn’t compare anything myself. I never stated my opinion, which means I didn’t compare anything. I think you missed that part.

No doubt that the dude was very knowledgeable and it was a very good listen, but not necessarily the most glowing assessment of the team, Gattis or (to a lessor extent) Steele.
Its great to listen to and press up against the yearly glowing practice reports. Helps keep a balance and most likely will fall somewhere in middle. Its like when we know for fact based on years of film that Ivey is not it, but then there is new report that THIS YEAR will be different..

You once said TVD was better than Bryce Young it was at that point I knew the Google were on too tight.
Yes I do think he is better. They had similar stats. Bryce had more yards and TDs and threw over 200 more passes than TVD. TVD had a better yard per completion and was in the top 10 in the nation and Bryce Young was #1 in yards gained in dump off passes and was in the 20s in yards per completion.

I never said Bryce was a bad QB, I think TVD is better. Simple enough to understand. That overall talent around each was not even close. TVD two leading WRs went undrafted and negligible running game. He was dicing man up even when we had to throw facing 3rd and long.

Advertisement
And Slovis on a well coached Pitt team with a good defense isn’t a easy win either. These guys are crazy

I always respect your opinion; but I’ve got a couple counterpoints regarding you categorizing both UNC and Pitt’s QB situation as “**** good”.

Let’s start with the unknown in UNC. Drake Maye won the battle a few days ago, and while Mack said both QB’s will continue to get reps based on their productivity, the former five-star is taking the first snaps against Florida A&M. Now, Maye might be great sure, but he hasn’t even played a down of college football yet. In fact, correct me if I’m wrong…but I don’t think the state of North Carolina had high school football in his senior year due to COVID.

The fact that this battle lasted up until game week tells me Maye couldn’t take a stranglehold of the job from what I believe is a mediocre (at best) Criswell. He’ll also be dealing with a pretty poor OL and injuries at WR.

UNC is basically a pick em @ App St in week 1; not that I don’t think App St is very good (in fact, I believe they’ll be a nine, possibly ten-win team in 2022), but I think it’s a very solid indicator that this team isn’t anything to be overly concerned with. We get them at home and in Mario’s first conference game, plus we will have a tune up with Midd Tenn to correct issues exposed vs. A&M. We should win this game 8 times out of 10.

Pitt’s trenches are going to be very, very good. They’ve got depth and talent at RB…but Slovis is certainly someone that doesn’t strike any fear in me whatsoever. 11:8 TD:INT ratio and a 56.2 QBR is pretty garbage, especially in the Pac-12. New OC, no game-breaking WR to give us issues (at least you can argue Downs for UNC can change a game single-handily)…the only thing I’m concerned with is the timing of the game.

If we’re not battered and bruised from Clemson / the rest of the season to the point where multiple guys miss the finale…I mean we’ve beaten them in four straight, six of seven, 14/16…we own them. I don’t see it changing, especially when that game might very well decide the coastal. Humidity advantage should be on full display as well.

If you’ve made it this far lol, I have a question for you regarding A&M; who do you think will be the QB Week 3? I think King gives them the best chance to win / a higher ceiling on the season, but politics seems to favor Max.

Last edited:
Not all teams that finish in the top 10 or start out in the top 10 have a top 10 roster. We can absolutely outplay the overall talent level because at by far the most important position on the team we have a top 3-6 player at his position - QB. Secondly if we finished ranked 13 instead of like 9th, only haters are going to be making a big deal about the difference...

We can talk about WR and LBs and RB/CB depth with injuries all we want, but if TVD plays at an elite level, we will be pretty ******* good. And whether or not we have a top 10 overall roster or not isn't that important since we only play like 2 teams that actually do have an overall roster better than us.
You started your post with “Not all teams that finish in the top 10 or start out in the top 10 have a top 10 roster. Then ended it with “ we only play like 2 teams that actually do have an overall roster better than us”. I’m messing with you but it reminded me of this lol

Would love to see a teaching tape from Gattis from spring through now. Also the Mario's Oregon and Gattis' Mich playbooks. Anyone have copies?

Advertisement
Braxton type. Great technician that knows how to get open and makes tough catches. I’d set his o/u on catches at 50.
I'd take the over. He's gonna get a lot of looks, especially down the stretch in tight games. If X eats, then this opens up the TE's more across the middle.

Advertisement
Back