Let’s talk wide receivers

I see a lot of ppl mentioning Mallory as the savior to the WR drops.

Ppl forget that he struggled immensely with drops last season. Pretty sure he single handedly cost us a game with his drops.

You're not hearing it in camp, bc hes been held out a lot.

Hopefully he has fixed the drops issue of last season. It seemed to be mental imo.

I'm just saying....
Dropped the game winner at UVA.

Advertisement
I'm not going to sit here and say they are jags.....the guys got some talent but if u think those guys are going to eat vs the elites man we in trouble. Vs ACC play I think they can eat but to consistently get open vs the teams we are trying to reach won't be easy. We need those Cooper Ridley's and Richards.
Agreed. Maybe not against the elites but against the ACC they should.

Btw u man that be talking bout offenses need to be simple...when you get matched up against better teams, u get pummeled like Lashlee did v Clemson. I want the defense to think and have to play discipline. That's what gives you a chance when you play better teams. Players need to step up and I think someone will. Holla back mid season

THIS.

Lashlee ran a G5 system. When he was good, he was great. When he was bad he was awful. He cost us games abandoning the middle of the field. We would struggle spamming iz and bubble screens. When he committed to utilizing the middle, we moved the ball then he would go back to his old ways.

Hopefully Gattis adjusts as needed m, but these guys will get better over time. We had serious drop issues last game. We can overcome it as long as we have good play calling.

Advertisement
That wasn’t scheme or plays , that was an Ol being completely overmatched. The plays were over at the snap.

But a lot of that was Lashlee inability to scheme around the tite front. Clemson layed the blueprint and the teams that copied them made us struggle. The tite front is specifically designed to stuff inside zone and Lashlee put us in terrible situations forcing the iz anyway.

We had much more success with draw, counter, and pulling, but he didn’t call these plays nearly enough. Go rewatch Miami offense vs Virginia on YouTube. Watch how the offense opened up when Lashlee mixed up the run and attacked the middle with the passing game.

The offense Mario wants to run requires every position on the offense to have top end talent. You need an elite offensive line that can run and pass block, great backs and WR’s that create separation with little to no space to work with. Not to mention a QB that can run the complex system. There’s no arguing the spread does have flaws and is exposed at times, but what I don’t think you realize it gives MIAMI the best chance of success. Miami should never be under center and the TE’s be the focal point of the offense, we should be high flying and exciting to watch. And I hate to say it, but as long as we primarily recruit South Florida, our kids will never have the capacity to learn complex NFL type systems.
So, apparently you think so Fla kids are dumber than other kids. Weird. You just make that up or have some data?

We knew all of this going in to Spring camp
much less Summer camp. The idea that Gattis can’t scheme around the WR challenges with the rest of his toolset is laughable.

We’ll be fine. We just may not be as talented as the A2M or Clemson rosters thos year. And we’re not so much better than everyone else that we’ll run the table on all of them.

It’s still a transition year with a new staff and playbook. That shouldn’t shock anyone.

Rip the bandaid off and let’s start building from here.

Well we can‘t overcome injuries in key spots, if that happens be prepared. It’ll take multiple classes to fix that. Unc and Pit will be tough if healthy.

We won 8 games with Pope and Wiggins as two of our starters. We are deeper now at every position than we were then.

It will take a catastrophic run of injuries for us to lose four games.

We are underestimating the defense because of ptsd. This is a good football team.

Advertisement
I have a lot of faith in the wr room. Maybe naive but I do. Think our scheme is going to present some major problems for opposing defenses. Backs and TE's will "free" our wr's up to make plays.
I agree with you. There is no data to support the we can't catch anything theme. Science says that when you personally see something ( a drop at a practice in this case) it taints your thinking and you exaggerate the % of times it happens.

Also, it would literally be impossible to recruit all the 4* guys we have and somehow manage to not find a handful who drop no more passes than good receivers.

Not sure its been brought up...I only skimmed. But other then A&M and Clemson who has a defense that has DB's that can come up and play physical and make it work. I'm going with the mind set that iron sharpens iron so our WR's even if they are not the 2nd coming of Andre Johnson are more than capable of helping us win as they are going against a defense in practice that we are being told has a chance to be really good. I mean who ever is getting matched up on Stevenson alone is going to breathe a sigh of relief in games. We've heard Couch is playing well. We have 3 really good safeties. Our WR's catch a few balls in games 1-2 they start to realize practice is harder then games most weeks.
UVA has a big physical db...also UNC 5 star corner was pushing around Pope and Wiggins as an early graduated sr. Pitt always has a good d

I can only go by what I saw last year. I like what I saw from Restrepo , Key Smith and Brashard.

One of Redding, Ladson, Young will emerge as the top guy with size.
And if none of them look any good then we still have Skinner who can play that role as well.

I will not be concerned until I see something that concerns me in real games.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We won 8 games with Pope and Wiggins as two of our starters. We are deeper now at every position than we were then.

It will take a catastrophic run of injuries for us to lose four games.

We are underestimating the defense because of ptsd. This is a good football team.
At Clemson and at A&M are likely losses to more talented teams on the road. Pitt returns a lot on defense and UNC is talented, so it wouldn’t be a shock if we lost those games. I think four losses is more likely than getting ten wins in the regular season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back