Let’s talk wide receivers

Well Cooney is now spending a lot of time with the wr’s too. Which is his specialty. That’s not micromanaging. Secondly some kids don’t react to nitpicking and constantly crap talking. Some need positive reinforcement. I think there’s a line and great coaches know how to walk it. What I do know is guys that wasn’t dropping balls last spring and fall are dropping them now. None of these guys had that rep coming in.
Some guys may not be thriving (hopefully just yet instead of ever) in the deep end now that Mario is in charge. Sounds like he expects big boy ball at all times and maybe these guys just haven't caught up yet.

Advertisement
That’s where I differ some and the reason I made this thread. I don’t think he has to “ drag” this wr core. I expect WM and Arroyo to the on the field a lot. Same with Rooster and Parrish. All of those guys will be favored in their matchups most times. Rb’s vs Lb’s and Te’s vs Lb’s or S’s. X in the slot will be a problem for most nickels. I keep mentioning “do it by committee and know your role“ for a reason. KS has proven he can run by people , he ran by a Clemson cb I believe his first play as a Fr. So you gotta respect that aspect. Redding could be the physical guy wr need to win some occasional 1 v1. Brinson and George the intermediate guys. No wr will be asked to be Rambo. Imo it’ll be an inside out type offense , not nearly as dependent on deep shots as last year. We’ll pick our spots
Really like this idea. Hopefully this is what the coaches are actually doing and not what you hope will happen.

@Cribby with more consistency, talent and surplus at the TE position, why doesn’t the Offensive staff run more formation with TEs lined up in the WR positions or more formations with 3-4 TEs in a play? Wouldn’t that be more difficult for defense to defend against?
if healthy the te’s will have a big part in this O.

I expect big things from TVD but he still has some growing to do and alot to prove. He needs to be able to elevate his play and play a FULL game, not half game turn it up after multiple turnovers.. He has to put team on his back in college station if he is the heisman caliber player people want him to be
That's true, but we are talking about college QBs still. Stroud and Young, the two most heralded college QBs right now, also had their share of shaky play and inconsistency last season. As far as college QBs go, TVD has looked as promising as any top QB.

That's true, but we are talking about college QBs still. Stroud and Young, the two most heralded college QBs right now, also had their share of shaky play and inconsistency last season. As far as college QBs go, TVD has looked as promising as any top QB.
Yea they were all relatively young qbs coming off covid year where schedules didnt allow for cupcake games to get reps (atleast for TVD), Im not holding it against him but now being an upperclassmen with game experience I expect better consistency.

Advertisement
I think KS , JG and RB can all be solid. I think that’s their floor. I’m not expecting anyone in that group to be Rambo but I’m not expecting a flop either. Solid to pretty good seasons.

Redding and Ladson are the guys we need one of them to actually “ step up”. One of them needs to be solid or pretty good in their roles as a physical guy winning some 1 v 1’s. Redding‘s name has been popping up more lately.
@Cribby Mario mentioned on Joe Rose that Brashard Smith really popped out in the #2 scrimmage. When Rose said he played the same spot as X Mario answered witn the best players are going to play.

Is it possible we see X, Brashard and Keyshawn to start the season?

I see a lot of ppl mentioning Mallory as the savior to the WR drops.

Ppl forget that he struggled immensely with drops last season. Pretty sure he single handedly cost us a game with his drops.

You're not hearing it in camp, bc hes been held out a lot.

Hopefully he has fixed the drops issue of last season. It seemed to be mental imo.

I'm just saying....

@Cribby Mario mentioned on Joe Rose that Brashard Smith really popped out in the #2 scrimmage. When Rose said he played the same spot as X Mario answered witn the best players are going to play.

Is it possible we see X, Brashard and Keyshawn to start the season?
I put Smith in the same boat , I just see him more as gimmick guy. Just get him the ball in space.

Yea they were all relatively young qbs coming off covid year where schedules didnt allow for cupcake games to get reps (atleast for TVD), Im not holding it against him but now being an upperclassmen with game experience I expect better consistency.
Absolutely. He, as any college QB, needs to show growth and development. But thus far he has shown a level of ability we haven't had in a long time, both in leadership and skill, especially his ability to place the ball in the ideal spot for the receiver. From what we've heard from practices and scrimmages this year, he is still standing out in those areas.

Advertisement

Ppl forget that he struggled immensely with drops last season. Pretty sure he single handedly cost us a game with his drops.

Hopefully he has fixed the drops issue of last season. It seemed to be mental imo.

I'm just saying....
He did have a lot of drops but he finished the year really well. He made a lot of plays after the bad start. He lost some pt and it seemed to get his head straight.

He did have a lot of drops but he finished the year really well. He made a lot of plays after the bad start. He lost some pt and it seemed to get his head straight.
Yup it did improve towards the end of the season.

But I'm just saying, hes shown a drop tendency in the past. So we can't be sure that it won't happen again. Hopefully not.

Y’all are getting dangerously close to overrating TVD. Y’all haven’t done it yet. But y’all are getting close. And remember before you attack, I was the first one on his hype train when the board thought Garcia was better

I'm already there. No such thing as overrating TVD.

Advertisement

I'm just saying....
Yep that Michigan State game. Dropped a sure td and then didn't Borregales miss a chip shot?

I put Smith in the same boat , I just see him more as gimmick guy. Just get him the ball in space.
When you say gimmick, do you mean more “positionless” and thus able to be lined up or on the field with X? I think so by the context as opposed to meaning that because he’s a “gimmick” guy that he should be used only sparingly. Honest question…not at all being negative.

Advertisement
When you say gimmick, do you mean more “positionless” and thus able to be lined up or on the field with X? I think so by the context as opposed to meaning that because he’s a “gimmick” guy that he should be used only sparingly. Honest question…not at all being negative.
Positionless. Lashlee was using him that way. Line him up at wr, rb , motion him in or out of backfield , use on end arounds, selling motion and even st’s. Hes the type of guy you have a handful of plays for every game. Even if it’s just using as a decoy.

Absolutely. He, as any college QB, needs to show growth and development. But thus far he has shown a level of ability we haven't had in a long time, both in leadership and skill, especially his ability to place the ball in the ideal spot for the receiver. From what we've heard from practices and scrimmages this year, he is still standing out in those areas.
Thats cool, I would like to see that exhibited on the big stage in mid sept. Be a great time for him to introduce himself to college football world because no one saw him light up Duke..

Advertisement
Back