Lessons from the sleeper first rounders

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator

Every draft, I go back and study the first rounders as high school recruits. Peter Ariz and I talked about the results of that study on today’s CanesInSight Daily Podcast. A summary of our discussion can be found here.

We also had a specific conversation about the first rounders who were not blue-chip players. When you study the sleepers, some clear trends emerge that may help us improve our own evaluations. A summary of that discussion is below:

D$...

Continue reading...

Advertisement
I don’t know when Miami stopped prioritizing speed at the DB position. It’s sad because we all know speed kills
I have been harping on this for well over a decade. Going forward I'm confident this situation gets resolved as Mario is too good a recruiter and too detail oriented for him not to address this glaring issue. The 2025 and 2026 classes will go a long way toward rectifying what should absolutely never be an issue at Miami and that is speed in the defensive backfield.

In the case of Quinton Mitchell…Could it be the area/high school he's from too?

Kinda out in the middle of nowhere right? Are they a small school?

I hate to admit it as I haven't paid much attention to Florida recently, but Ricky Pearsall is really starting to grow on me as a sleeper star. Someone tell me why he's not higher, because his highlight reels are fun to watch. If this was not such a deep WR class, would we be looking at him as a top 15, maybe even top 10 pick?

Advertisement

Every draft, I go back and study the first rounders as high school recruits. Peter Ariz and I talked about the results of that study on today’s CanesInSight Daily Podcast. A summary of our discussion can be found here.

We also had a specific conversation about the first rounders who were not blue-chip players. When you study the sleepers, some clear trends emerge that may help us improve our own evaluations. A summary of that discussion is below:

D$: Blue-chippers make up a bigger percentage of the first round every year. But there is plenty to learn from the 11 non-blue chippers that got picked in the first on Thursday.

Position-wise, five offensive linemen were three stars (Olu Fashanu, Taliese Fuaga, Jordan Morgan, Graham Barton, Tyler Guyton). Even as recruiting rankings get better at that spot, there are always going to be late bloomers due to the size requirements of the position. You also have two defensive linemen (Darius Robinson and Jared Verse), one QB (Michael Penix), one wide receiver (Ricky Pearsall) and one corner (Quinyon Mitchell). Let’s go through them one by one:

QB Michael Penix, Washington (Tampa, FL)

D$: There are a lot of Florida quarterbacks in the NFL right now, including the reigning MVP. But if you look at those Florida quarterbacks, most of them were three stars or less because they were underdeveloped. There's not a lot of great quarterback coaching in the state and not a lot of financial investment like in other places. But the QBs are tough, talented and smart. Penix fits that mold.

He was a centerfielder in baseball and lettered in track (22.89 200M). Multisport QBs and underdeveloped Florida QBs- Penix fits two sleeper QB archetypes that we’ve discussed at length on CanesInSight.

WR Ricky Pearsall, Florida (Tempe, AZ)

D$: Extremely productive player. Set the Arizona single-game receiving record (342 yards). He played everywhere. Receiver, returner, Wildcat QB, safety. Ran an 11.01 100M with a 113 SPARQ. Wide receiver is a production position, and he produced while also hitting athletic markers.

Peter: A transfer who improved the stock over the last couple of years. I had a player out of Arizona State a couple of years ago (as an agent) and I was not hearing that Pearsall was this level of prospect at that time. So props to him for continuing to improve his stock.

CB Quinyon Mitchell, Toledo (Gainesville, FL)

D$: The trends continue. He was a multisport kid that played basketball and ran track (10.86 100M). He played both ways. He made with the ball in his hands. If you slapped a four-star rating or a five-star rating on this film, no one would bat an eye because you see the speed and ability. We've listed three guys: all have good track numbers and do multiple things on the field.

Miami has struggled to sign cornerbacks. We need to be looking in state and anywhere else for guys with the requisite athleticism as a starting point. That means speed and track times. I don’t know the track times for Miami's current defensive back room, which is a bad sign because they either didn’t run or didn’t run fast.

Basketball is another tell here. Devon Witherspoon (Top 10 pick in ‘23) is from Pensacola, Florida. How did he leave the state? He was a late-blooming basketball player with untapped athleticism at CB. Just like Mitchell.

OT Olu Fashanu, Penn State (Washington, DC)

D$: To me, this was just a bad job by the recruiting sites to have this guy as a three-star. He had offers from Alabama, Georgia, Michigan and Ohio State. He played for a big program in D.C. He was the left tackle for Caleb Williams, so everybody saw him. The tools are clear on his tape. The only thing lacking is a little bit of strength. The recruiting services just outsmarted themselves with him. There's no way this guy should have been a three-star.

OT Taliese Fuaga, Oregon State (Tacoma, WA)

D$: A lot of teams missed on this guy. Went back and watched his film. He played more defensive line than offensive line. So you see a guy with size who plays both ways. Tommy Kinsler from our '23 class is a huge guy who played defensive line and offensive line. Great size, great athleticism. Hopefully you see him shaking Goodell's hand in the future.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9462452/5c5f8ed8066b63124cbe375c

DE Jared Verse, Florida State (Bloomsburg, PA)

D$: As we all know, Verse went to the University of Albany before transferring to Florida State. Everybody missed on him. Now, I'm not saying this guy should have been a blue-chipper out of high school. He was only 205 pounds. There’s a growth spurt that's hard to project.

But when you watch these HUDL highlights, there's no way this dude should have gone FCS. Somebody messed up. He played basketball. He ran an 11.3 100M. He ran a 22.7 200M. Even at 6’3, 205, that's still flying. Forget the growth spurt. You see him running people over. You see him playing defense. You see him being tough. This, to me, was a major miss by the smaller Power 5 schools and the G5 schools. Once again: multisport, both sides of the ball and verified track measurables.

Peter: You would think at least one of the MAC schools there in the area would have been all over him. But you see it in the clips. He’s making people miss. He's blocking. Some college coaches should be pretty upset they didn't pull the trigger there.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7589859/5bfea9ae2352490f348556d3

OT Jordan Morgan, Arizona (Tuscon, AZ)

D$: This is your classic three-star that the local program did a good job evaluating. Sorry if I'm broken record, but go to the track. 50.9 inches in the shot put, 139.4 in the discus, 149.6 in the javelin. Not only does he show that power with the shot, but he's doing multiple events. The size was there. So it’s frame and verified track numbers. Similar story to a lot of these guys.

Peter: I asked someone about him a couple of years ago when he first came on my radar. And the first thing I heard was, “He may be a little on the soft side.” Sometimes you just have to overlook that stuff and hope to coach that into them. The physical tools are going to be the most important thing at the end of the day. You can have someone extremely tough, but if they don't have those physical tools to deal with the speed off the edge or in the interior, it doesn't matter.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7811114/5afd0cc438636a0e34ef400f

DE Darius Robinson, Missouri (Detroit, MI)

D$: Robinson played basketball and played tight end. He didn’t start playing football until he was a junior. When someone starts football later in their career and picks it up fast, that's always something to watch. I love defensive linemen who play offense. Artavius Jones, the defensive lineman that signed this year from the Panhandle, fits into that category. He played tight end, offensive line, defensive line, basketball. Justin Scott ran the ball and plays hoops. These are trends you see consistently. Guys that have size and then do all of these things beyond their primary football position.

OT Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma (Austin, TX)

D$: Basketball player who started football late. Similar to Darius Robinson. Guyton played defensive line. Limited film which wasn’t overly impressive. His first snaps in college at TCU were actually at H-Back. He ends up becoming an offensive lineman and transfers to Oklahoma, where they polish him up.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/13513771/Tyler-Guyton

OL Graham Barton, Duke (Nashville, TN)

D$: This was really fun film to watch. Again, when you watch these OL first rounders in high school, they're playing on the defensive line as well. That shows their toughness, their athleticism, their importance to the team. When guys are only playing on offense, they're either not mean enough to play defense or they're not athletic enough to play defense. Unless you're just on such a loaded team that you don’t need to play both ways.

Barton is from the Nashville suburbs. He played lacrosse growing up. A sport that requires a lot of coordination and movement. You know he’s smart based on his offers. The body filled out. You saw his toughness on defense and the lacrosse field.

Duke just produced a first round pick in the NFL Draft. Miami did not. That is a situation that needs to be corrected. I think Mario will correct that through sheer effort and money. But it is important to continue to improve the evaluation piece.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7623780/5df2657b5eee020db85ade1e

Great and interesting discussion and read, also, off topic, but love the Croqueta County shirt. Have to get me one of those.

D$: Blue-chippers make up a bigger percentage of the first round every year. But there is plenty to learn from the 11 non-blue chippers that got picked in the first on Thursday.

Position-wise, five offensive linemen were three stars (Olu Fashanu, Taliese Fuaga, Jordan Morgan, Graham Barton, Tyler Guyton). Even as recruiting rankings get better at that spot, there are always going to be late bloomers due to the size requirements of the position. You also have two defensive linemen (Darius Robinson and Jared Verse), one QB (Michael Penix), one wide receiver (Ricky Pearsall) and one corner (Quinyon Mitchell). Let’s go through them one by one:

D$: There are a lot of Florida quarterbacks in the NFL right now, including the reigning MVP. But if you look at those Florida quarterbacks, most of them were three stars or less because they were underdeveloped. There's not a lot of great quarterback coaching in the state and not a lot of financial investment like in other places. But the QBs are tough, talented and smart. Penix fits that mold.

He was a centerfielder in baseball and lettered in track (22.89 200M). Multisport QBs and underdeveloped Florida QBs- Penix fits two sleeper QB archetypes that we’ve discussed at length on CanesInSight.

D$: Extremely productive player. Set the Arizona single-game receiving record (342 yards). He played everywhere. Receiver, returner, Wildcat QB, safety. Ran an 11.01 100M with a 113 SPARQ. Wide receiver is a production position, and he produced while also hitting athletic markers.

Peter: A transfer who improved the stock over the last couple of years. I had a player out of Arizona State a couple of years ago (as an agent) and I was not hearing that Pearsall was this level of prospect at that time. So props to him for continuing to improve his stock.

D$: The trends continue. He was a multisport kid that played basketball and ran track (10.86 100M). He played both ways. He made with the ball in his hands. If you slapped a four-star rating or a five-star rating on this film, no one would bat an eye because you see the speed and ability. We've listed three guys: all have good track numbers and do multiple things on the field.

Miami has struggled to sign cornerbacks. We need to be looking in state and anywhere else for guys with the requisite athleticism as a starting point. That means speed and track times. I don’t know the track times for Miami's current defensive back room, which is a bad sign because they either didn’t run or didn’t run fast.

Basketball is another tell here. Devon Witherspoon (Top 10 pick in ‘23) is from Pensacola, Florida. How did he leave the state? He was a late-blooming basketball player with untapped athleticism at CB. Just like Mitchell.

D$: To me, this was just a bad job by the recruiting sites to have this guy as a three-star. He had offers from Alabama, Georgia, Michigan and Ohio State. He played for a big program in D.C. He was the left tackle for Caleb Williams, so everybody saw him. The tools are clear on his tape. The only thing lacking is a little bit of strength. The recruiting services just outsmarted themselves with him. There's no way this guy should have been a three-star.

D$: A lot of teams missed on this guy. Went back and watched his film. He played more defensive line than offensive line. So you see a guy with size who plays both ways. Tommy Kinsler from our '23 class is a huge guy who played defensive line and offensive line. Great size, great athleticism. Hopefully you see him shaking Goodell's hand in the future.

D$: As we all know, Verse went to the University of Albany before transferring to Florida State. Everybody missed on him. Now, I'm not saying this guy should have been a blue-chipper out of high school. He was only 205 pounds. There’s a growth spurt that's hard to project.

But when you watch these HUDL highlights, there's no way this dude should have gone FCS. Somebody messed up. He played basketball. He ran an 11.3 100M. He ran a 22.7 200M. Even at 6’3, 205, that's still flying. Forget the growth spurt. You see him running people over. You see him playing defense. You see him being tough. This, to me, was a major miss by the smaller Power 5 schools and the G5 schools. Once again: multisport, both sides of the ball and verified track measurables.

Peter: You would think at least one of the MAC schools there in the area would have been all over him. But you see it in the clips. He’s making people miss. He's blocking. Some college coaches should be pretty upset they didn't pull the trigger there.

D$: This is your classic three-star that the local program did a good job evaluating. Sorry if I'm broken record, but go to the track. 50.9 inches in the shot put, 139.4 in the discus, 149.6 in the javelin. Not only does he show that power with the shot, but he's doing multiple events. The size was there. So it’s frame and verified track numbers. Similar story to a lot of these guys.

Peter: I asked someone about him a couple of years ago when he first came on my radar. And the first thing I heard was, “He may be a little on the soft side.” Sometimes you just have to overlook that stuff and hope to coach that into them. The physical tools are going to be the most important thing at the end of the day. You can have someone extremely tough, but if they don't have those physical tools to deal with the speed off the edge or in the interior, it doesn't matter.

D$: Robinson played basketball and played tight end. He didn’t start playing football until he was a junior. When someone starts football later in their career and picks it up fast, that's always something to watch. I love defensive linemen who play offense. Artavius Jones, the defensive lineman that signed this year from the Panhandle, fits into that category. He played tight end, offensive line, defensive line, basketball. Justin Scott ran the ball and plays hoops. These are trends you see consistently. Guys that have size and then do all of these things beyond their primary football position.

D$: Basketball player who started football late. Similar to Darius Robinson. Guyton played defensive line. Limited film which wasn’t overly impressive. His first snaps in college at TCU were actually at H-Back. He ends up becoming an offensive lineman and transfers to Oklahoma, where they polish him up.

D$: This was really fun film to watch. Again, when you watch these OL first rounders in high school, they're playing on the defensive line as well. That shows their toughness, their athleticism, their importance to the team. When guys are only playing on offense, they're either not mean enough to play defense or they're not athletic enough to play defense. Unless you're just on such a loaded team that you don’t need to play both ways.

Barton is from the Nashville suburbs. He played lacrosse growing up. A sport that requires a lot of coordination and movement. You know he’s smart based on his offers. The body filled out. You saw his toughness on defense and the lacrosse field.

Duke just produced a first round pick in the NFL Draft. Miami did not. That is a situation that needs to be corrected. I think Mario will correct that through sheer effort and money. But it is important to continue to improve the evaluation piece.

Good stuff D$.
It would have been interesting to have reviewed two additional soFla guys like Pierre Garcon (Mount Union) and Khalil Mack (Buffalo). As much as soFla is heavily recruited, I think we still have some blind spots that can often be underecruited for various reasons.
I remembered reading an article about the late great Bill Walsh about what he looked for in recruiting talent, he opined that he liked kids he played several sports in high school because overall athletic competitiveness, smarts and coordination. Of course, we had Jimmy Johnson and Butch Davis who were the best at this similar philosophy. The question I would pose in this current college football landscape with the NIL, transfer portal but limited number of scholarships available is how patient will the P5 programs will be in having these developmental players on their rosters. Similarly, how patients will these raw kids be buried in the depth chart for 1-2 years? Especially now where kids are into their second or third programs before making it to their third year?

Before D made this article, been saying the same thing. If they are not highly rank, they must have elite traits. Elite speed, leaping ability, lateral quickness etc. Those things defy recruiting rankings, especially skill position players.

Advertisement
Speaking of speed, last year Knight III ran 11.86 100. This year Ewald is 11+ 100. Both are 4 stars.

I just don’t see it with either.

Great and interesting discussion and read, also, off topic, but love the Croqueta County shirt. Have to get me one of those.

Shout out to Islas Canarias and the Andrade family. IYKYK

Advertisement
Oh nowww everybody wants speed at CB...

giphy(20).gif

@DMoney do you guys do any digging into the mental aspect of the prospects?

That’s a big piece of the puzzle required for development: a recruit’s desire and ability to make wholesale changes to their body, or to play a different position, or be patient with their progress, etc.

And for corners- can they live with a bad play and move on to the next? 4.4 speed is irrelevant if a corner is in his own head and not using it.

Robert Stafford comes to mind a lot when I ask these questions, because he could be that prototype of the guys you’ve alluded to.

Advertisement

Shout out to Islas Canarias and the Andrade family. IYKYK

Islas Canarias is legit

@DMoney do you guys do any digging into the mental aspect of the prospects?

That’s a big piece of the puzzle required for development: a recruit’s desire and ability to make wholesale changes to their body, or to play a different position, or be patient with their progress, etc.

And for corners- can they live with a bad play and move on to the next? 4.4 speed is irrelevant if a corner is in his own head and not using it.

Robert Stafford comes to mind a lot when I ask these questions, because he could be that prototype of the guys you’ve alluded to.
Word

Bc most schools only offer based on who else has offered. It’s a very sad trend with cfb recruiters..most of the recruiters don’t even trust their own evaluation but if Saban or UGA offered..they’ll offer without looking at film.

Advertisement
Back