Learning from your surroundings

View as article
I made a post topic about the positives Mario offered and it talked about many of the things you just stated. Instead of saying he learned from Saban or Kiffin, I drew the comparison of Bama being like MIT, where as a coach you gain high level knowledge about all things college football. The reality is Miami is in a transitional period poised to do big things or maintain mediocrity. We have to have a guy that has a combination of professional swag and coaching abilities, surrounds himself with even better coordinators and assistants, be an excellent evaluator and talent developer and can make decisions faster than the game can throw at him. Butch is that guy, but Mario can be the anchor leg after Butch hands it off to him.

Advertisement
Great post. It's an old saw that just because you know your subject matter doesn't mean you know the subject matter of other professions. To my experience, there's a corollary: just because you know your subject matter doesn't mean you know how to make decisions when applying that subject matter to real-life problems. Just because he's learned something in Tuscaloosa doesn't mean he can apply it here in the same way or at all, etc., etc.

Is there something on Donna's lip? Not Donna bukkake, eh?

I know, I'm disgusting....couldn't help it.

The fit we need is a badass, technical coach or someone who brings a plan and package that leverage our strengths. Access to [the very best] talent is our unique competitive advantage. The primary non-technical strength I can see leverage that advantage is from someone who is able to evaluate talent better than others. That's why Butch is someone I support. He isn't the only one, as there are obviously more technical guys who may or may not be available.
I think Richt fits the bold part of Lu's final paragraph.

Advertisement
Back