Learning from UT Game: Things to look for at Boone

View as article

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
- In App State's lone comparable game (UTenn) this year, they allowed 6 TFLs and no sacks.

What that means for us?

I would be surprised if we don't see another double digit TFL game or near it for our defense. Yes, our two previous opponents were not as good. Yes, App State runs the ball more. But, I think you'll see Diaz use the blitz to stop the run, as he's known to do.

- 2 of those TFLs came from Kendall Vickers, UTenn's DT who was a former 3-star, 225 pound SSDE a few years back. Through 2 games, he's arguably been their most productive DL from a stats perspective.

What that means for us?

I don't believe Vickers is as talented as any of our top 3 DTs. Make of that what you wish. Diaz and Kul can place rotate DTs against their weaker Guard for the entire afternoon. App State does have a pro prospect listed along their OL interior.

- UT's Derek Barnett was more or less neutralized against App St.

What that means for us?

Barnett is a likely top 15 pick in next year's NFL draft. A former 4 star, he's been really productive. He's our Chad Thomas, though his build and position as an Edge rusher are more comparable to D-Jax against App state. Basically, don't expect a ton of sacks on Saturday unless App State goes down huge early, which is not entirely expected - especially if the weather fails to hold up. Their passing game and QB's style doesn't lend itself to sacks.

- UT's leading solo tackler was their FS

What that means for us?

Manny Diaz likes to fit a particular coverage behind his aggressive fronts. Without going into that detail, it places the Safeties in a high pressure situation where, if the other team goes spread, the two safeties are expected to read the inside WR and many times fill the alley. Watch their feet at the snap. Instead of the 2 steps back you often saw last year, our 2 deep Safeties will remain relatively stagnant, pause or even lean forward. It's a significant change in how to play defense. I actually half expect Diaz to go slightly away from this coverage and show some single high safety with Jamal Carter coming straight downhill to fill. Don't be surprised if one of our three leading tacklers is either Carter, Jaquan or Jenkins.

- Two top tacklers for UT were both LBs

What that means for us?

This one is a little more obvious, I think. We're playing a zone option team. Our LBs are going to have to play well and tackle well on both inside and outside zones. Perhaps I am overly optimistic, but I think Shaq and Pinkney are made for stopping this type of offense. When the ball snaps, Shaq will already be halfway to blowing up his gap. Wouldn't be surprised if both of these guys end up with double digit tackles for the afternoon.

- App State's QB was 15/23 for 108 total passing yards

What that means for us?

I've discussed this throughout the week. The reason I'm confused by the vegas line and people's concerns is because our primary soft spot as a defense is not an area their QB has shown to accurately hit. What's more, against the type of competition they'll face on Saturday, App State has failed to show the ability to push the ball downfield. Of course, let's consider that Tennessee has two pro prospects at Corner. Luckily for us, I believe we clearly have one and Redwine is young and playing solidly.

- App State was 3/13 on 3rd down conversions vs UTenn

What that means for us?

It goes along with the above about their QB's accuracy. I'll believe it when I see it. First things first: we have to keep them behind schedule and in uncomfortable 3rd down scenarios. If Saturday ends up being a rainy muck, this becomes even more important. You'd think our pass coverage is the most important key for this 3rd down conversion bullet point. I think it's a singular position: DT.

Thinking back to Diaz's scheme and its weak points, one of the biggest pressure points is whether a DT can hold up inside against a double team so that it places less pressure on the MLB getting chipped at the second level, which places less strain on the Safeties being asked to fill. Therefore, Kendrick Norton, please stand up. My personal perspective is you're going to see a hard, hard slanting defense and lots of gap exchange on 1st and 2nd down. Diaz will try to force as many 3rd and 7+ as he feasibly can.

- App State and Tennessee played an incredibly tight game and went into OT

What that means for us?

I grinned ear to ear when I saw this live. App State had to show nearly everything sans whatever handful of wrinkles they've installed. We should not be completely caught by surprise more than a few times. We know what they'll do offensively. They have to now beat us in individual matchups and I don't believe they can do that consistently enough.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Tennessee was overrated coming into the season, App State gets crushed by Miami. Don't know why all the commotion. Another warm up before conference play *yawn*

- In App State's lone comparable game (UTenn) this year, they allowed 6 TFLs and no sacks.

What that means for us?

I would be surprised if we don't see another double digit TFL game or near it for our defense. Yes, our two previous opponents were not as good. Yes, App State runs the ball more. But, I think you'll see Diaz use the blitz to stop the run, as he's known to do.

- 2 of those TFLs came from Kendall Vickers, UTenn's DT who was a former 3-star, 225 pound SSDE a few years back. Through 2 games, he's arguably been their most productive DL from a stats perspective.

What that means for us?

I don't believe Vickers is as talented as any of our top 3 DTs. Make of that what you wish. Diaz and Kul can place rotate DTs against their weaker Guard for the entire afternoon. App State does have a pro prospect listed along their OL interior.

What that means for us?

Barnett is a likely top 15 pick in next year's NFL draft. A former 4 star, he's been really productive. He's our Chad Thomas, though his build and position as an Edge rusher are more comparable to D-Jax against App state. Basically, don't expect a ton of sacks on Saturday unless App State goes down huge early, which is not entirely expected - especially if the weather fails to hold up. Their passing game and QB's style doesn't lend itself to sacks.

What that means for us?

Manny Diaz likes to fit a particular coverage behind his aggressive fronts. Without going into that detail, it places the Safeties in a high pressure situation where, if the other team goes spread, the two safeties are expected to read the inside WR and many times fill the alley. Watch their feet at the snap. Instead of the 2 steps back you often saw last year, our 2 deep Safeties will remain relatively stagnant, pause or even lean forward. It's a significant change in how to play defense. I actually half expect Diaz to go slightly away from this coverage and show some single high safety with Jamal Carter coming straight downhill to fill. Don't be surprised if one of our three leading tacklers is either Carter, Jaquan or Jenkins.

What that means for us?

This one is a little more obvious, I think. We're playing a zone option team. Our LBs are going to have to play well and tackle well on both inside and outside zones. Perhaps I am overly optimistic, but I think Shaq and Pinkney are made for stopping this type of offense. When the ball snaps, Shaq will already be halfway to blowing up his gap. Wouldn't be surprised if both of these guys end up with double digit tackles for the afternoon.

What that means for us?

I've discussed this throughout the week. The reason I'm confused by the vegas line and people's concerns is because our primary soft spot as a defense is not an area their QB has shown to accurately hit. What's more, against the type of competition they'll face on Saturday, App State has failed to show the ability to push the ball downfield. Of course, let's consider that Tennessee has two pro prospects at Corner. Luckily for us, I believe we clearly have one and Redwine is young and playing solidly.

What that means for us?

It goes along with the above about their QB's accuracy. I'll believe it when I see it. First things first: we have to keep them behind schedule and in uncomfortable 3rd down scenarios. If Saturday ends up being a rainy muck, this becomes even more important. You'd think our pass coverage is the most important key for this 3rd down conversion bullet point. I think it's a singular position: DT.

Thinking back to Diaz's scheme and its weak points, one of the biggest pressure points is whether a DT can hold up inside against a double team so that it places less pressure on the MLB getting chipped at the second level, which places less strain on the Safeties being asked to fill. Therefore, Kendrick Norton, please stand up. My personal perspective is you're going to see a hard, hard slanting defense and lots of gap exchange on 1st and 2nd down. Diaz will try to force as many 3rd and 7+ as he feasibly can.

What that means for us?

I grinned ear to ear when I saw this live. App State had to show nearly everything sans whatever handful of wrinkles they've installed. We should not be completely caught by surprise more than a few times. We know what they'll do offensively. They have to now beat us in individual matchups and I don't believe they can do that consistently enough.

Final prediction (score)?

Double digit win. No idea how the weather is going to be so impossible to give a decent score. I'll give you one anyway... in anticipation of some bad weather: 31-17.

Just to be clear, I'm terrible with score predictions. You're better off throwing a dart at a board or asking a pigeon.

Advertisement
Great stuff Lu. Thanks. The part about our safeties leaning forward as opposed to stepping back made me smile. This team would run for 300 against Al easy. The world changes when your QB and Rbs are making moves to try and stay alive instead of just making someone miss a tackle. Bring violence.

This is the type of game that Golden and even Shannon would lose (pitt, duke, kansas state vriginia USF boston college etc.). to me this is as important as any other game, because it will gauge whether the coaching will elevate the talent to overcome the adversity (little or none) they are likely to face at some point. i think this is what richt alluded to when he said we have not been "hit in the gut yet" (or something similar).

my opinion is that the coaching will elevate the talent and not neuter it as in years past.

Lu, thanks for the specific match ups/things to watch.

Double digit win. No idea how the weather is going to be so impossible to give a decent score. I'll give you one anyway... in anticipation of some bad weather: 31-17.

Just to be clear, I'm terrible with score predictions. You're better off throwing a dart at a board or asking a pigeon.

Appreciate the writeup and prediction. Last time I checked the weather looks like its going to be a beautiful day. That tropical storm went off into the atlantic, so hopefully its clear skies!

Weather is looking perfect. Mid 70s and sunny all day now. Bad weather coming in later Sunday now

Advertisement
It's very surprising that no one has mentioned that App. State starts a true freshman at CB. That Tennessee game was close because Dobbs is a terrible passer. Look for Kaaya to have a bounce back game with 4 tds and over 300 yards passing. Miami will roll

What that means for us?

What that means for us?

What that means for us?

What that means for us?

What that means for us?

What that means for us?

What that means for us?

What that means for us?

Lamb's completion percentage is actually higher than Kaaya's and both have scored 2 TD's. Difference: App State has played a ranked opponent whereas Miami hasn't.

Advertisement
It's very surprising that no one has mentioned that App. State starts a true freshman at CB. That Tennessee game was close because Dobbs is a terrible passer. Look for Kaaya to have a bounce back game with 4 tds and over 300 yards passing. Miami will roll

He hasn't thrown for 400 TD's or 4 TD's through two games against FAMU and FAU. Duck is actually a better prospect than the senior starting opposite of him. I expect you guys may run for 6 yards a clip most of the game purely due to the defense playing soft coverage to keep the receiver in front of them, much like the ODU game. The plan against Tennessee was to force Dobb's to throw and stop the run. Against Miami it will likely be a little more balanced and situation specific.

Lamb's completion percentage is actually higher than Kaaya's and both have scored 2 TD's. Difference: Miami is ranked where app store will never be.

Well fk me, even a hillbilly can be right once in a while

Last edited:
Only a 20% chance of rain for the game, I think in that dept we will be fine. They looked quite a bit smaller than TN but their quickness made up for that. Early on Miami has to keep them off the board, without mistakes we should win by 10 or so. Also think Miami needs to go deep more often to see what they've got back there. JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
best write up of the week, thank you. The last thing I smell is we will need to overcome key officiating butcher calls

What that means for us?

What that means for us?

What that means for us?

What that means for us?

What that means for us?

What that means for us?

What that means for us?

What that means for us?

Lamb's completion percentage is actually higher than Kaaya's and both have scored 2 TD's. Difference: Miami is ranked where app store will never be.

Well fk me, even a hillbilly can be right once in a while

If App wins Saturday they will likely be ranked in the Coaches poll as they are already receiving votes. They would probably move into the receiving votes category in the AP. If App can win into late October and Georgia Southern is undefeated, the team of that game is likely to be ranked after. Given that information: Miami is only a 3.5 point favorite despite around 80% of the money flowing in to Miami.

In other words, Vegas is also gambling on this game being an App win as they will keep all of that money flowing to Miami and they wouldn't do that without having a good reason to believe App State will win. Otherwise, they are just throwing their own money away by not moving the line to balance out betting to ensure they at least break even.

In a nutshell: the sports analyst who set the lines in Vegas are hedging on an App State cover of the spread, with the line this close, they are calling for an App State win.

SUCK IT!

If App wins Saturday they will likely be ranked in the Coaches poll as they are already receiving votes. They would probably move into the receiving votes category in the AP. If App can win into late October and Georgia Southern is undefeated, the team of that game is likely to be ranked after. Given that information: Miami is only a 3.5 point favorite despite around 80% of the money flowing in to Miami.

In other words, Vegas is also gambling on this game being an App win as they will keep all of that money flowing to Miami and they wouldn't do that without having a good reason to believe App State will win. Otherwise, they are just throwing their own money away by not moving the line to balance out betting to ensure they at least break even.

In a nutshell: the sports analyst who set the lines in Vegas are hedging on an App State cover of the spread, with the line this close, they are calling for an App State win.

SUCK IT!

You guys have 3 ******* votes ffs

I can tell you guys are new to this whole FBS thing

tom-cruise-laughing-hysterically_48.gif

Lamb's completion percentage is actually higher than Kaaya's and both have scored 2 TD's. Difference: App State has played a ranked opponent whereas Miami hasn't.

I'm not sure what your point is? You aren't really contending that Miami can't throw on App. State, right? And I don't think you're arguing that the poster's write up of Lamb is wrong. App. State doesn't want to put the game in Lamb's hands, and for good reason.

Advertisement
Back