LB Tyler Cook

Hstokes1447

Junior
Tyler Cook is an Outside LB from California, he is listed at 6'3 220 with a 4.51 forty. This is one of those high moter, aggressive guys, who goes 110% every down. Miami needs this kid in this class. He has Miami very high right now with Miami being the only team gaurented to make his top 5. He plans to make a visit this summer and make an announcement August 8th. Bring this beast in Carroll!!!

[video]http://www.hudl.com/athlete/798375/tyler-cook[/video]

Advertisement
Carroll is becoming an elite recruiter and this isn't like Kaaya because he has offers from Arizona, BYU, Vandy and others so he has options

Kid could pack on weight and end up being the size of paul Kruger with same style of play also. High energy and non stop

Advertisement
I love the intensity... The kid really gets after it! I like him a lot and would be happy if he was a Cane!

Do not want this kid unless he packs on weight and comes in as a DE and not a LB.

All of his highlights are from DE and it is a lot harder to make reads and play any LB position if you have never actually played there before. Not to mention the fact that as a LB you also have way more responsibilities in coverage.

He does have a high motor and great first step, so with some good weight he could be a force at DE.

Remember Marcus Robinson rated #3 OLB and only played DE in HS. He ended up never playing LB for us and was a very undersized DE that never got much done for someone rated so high.

IMO LB Jaboree' Williams with no offer looks like a much better LB prospect b/c he has film of him making big plays from LB, DE, DT, and Safety not just at DE, which isn't the position he is being recruited for.

Same reason why I wanna see film of Chris Lammons playing CB before I anoint him best CB in the area like so many already have. The only film I have seen of him is on offense. (Nothing wrong with that Chris if you are reading this lol) Kid is a crazy good ATH, I just wanna see him lock down some stud WRs in games before I'm sold.

Remember when Brandon McGee came out? He was rated a high 4 star ATH that every school was recruiting to play CB. All of his HS highlights were at QB I believe. Yes he was solid this year, but it took him a few years to learn to play CB even though he had all the God given ability in the world and was the fastest player on the team with great size for a CB.

I would like to get guys who have been playing LB all through HS.

Watch Perryman's HS highlights, that is a player that has played LB for a long time and you can tell by how quick he reads the offense and reacts.

LB is a very hard position to play, when the ball is snapped you gotta first take a "free step" and read the OL to see if it is a run or pass (if its a pass then you gotta drop back into coverage in zone or find your man in man to man), then read into the backfield see what the QB is doing and find the ball all in a split second.

That is why taking a DE who is just used to rushing into the backfield and asking them to learn to play LB in college where everything is so much faster is a tall order IMO.

IMO it is crucial to evaluate these recruits at the position that they are actually being recruited to play. Like I would like to see how Michael Smith does without his hand in the dirt and playing mostly LB this year while coming in on a few plays as a rush end. Not totally sold on him at LB even though he looks like a monster coming off the edge.

I would actually like to see this kid at MLB. He sees the play well and diagnoses. Add another 25lbs of good weight and he'll be a son-of-a-***** in the middle.

Advertisement
Do not want this kid unless he packs on weight and comes in as a DE and not a LB.

All of his highlights are from DE and it is a lot harder to make reads and play any LB position if you have never actually played there before. Not to mention the fact that as a LB you also have way more responsibilities in coverage.

He does have a high motor and great first step, so with some good weight he could be a force at DE.

Remember Marcus Robinson rated #3 OLB and only played DE in HS. He ended up never playing LB for us and was a very undersized DE that never got much done for someone rated so high.

IMO LB Jaboree' Williams with no offer looks like a much better LB prospect b/c he has film of him making big plays from LB, DE, DT, and Safety not just at DE, which isn't the position he is being recruited for.

Same reason why I wanna see film of Chris Lammons playing CB before I anoint him best CB in the area like so many already have. The only film I have seen of him is on offense. (Nothing wrong with that Chris if you are reading this lol) Kid is a crazy good ATH, I just wanna see him lock down some stud WRs in games before I'm sold.

Remember when Brandon McGee came out? He was rated a high 4 star ATH that every school was recruiting to play CB. All of his HS highlights were at QB I believe. Yes he was solid this year, but it took him a few years to learn to play CB even though he had all the God given ability in the world and was the fastest player on the team with great size for a CB.

Watch Perryman's HS highlights, that is a player that has played LB for a long time and you can tell by how quick he reads the offense and reacts.

LB is a very hard position to play, when the ball is snapped you gotta first take a "free step" and read the OL to see if it is a run or pass (if its a pass then you gotta drop back into coverage in zone or find your man in man to man), then read into the backfield see what the QB is doing and find the ball all in a split second.

That is why taking a DE who is just used to rushing into the backfield and asking them to learn to play LB in college where everything is so much faster is a tall order IMO.

IMO it is crucial to evaluate these recruits at the position that they are actually being recruited to play. Like I would like to see how Michael Smith does without his hand in the dirt and playing mostly LB this year while coming in on a few plays as a rush end. Not totally sold on him at LB even though he looks like a monster coming off the edge.

MRob was probably the most misused kid we have ever had here. No idea why we insisted on having him playing solely DE. He should have been playing LB from day 1 and used to blitz off the edge. He made some plays during his time here but if an OL got their hands on him he was toast. Was just too small.

I would actually like to see this kid at MLB. He sees the play well and diagnoses. Add another 25lbs of good weight and he'll be a son-of-a-**** in the middle.

MLB or DE. Not OLB.

Golden loves him some thumpers. This kid fits the label. Take him, play him on special teams right away and figure out the rest later...can't teach love of contact.

Great point about seeing players in their expected / projected college position... I also agree that's it really hard judge "athlete's" especially if they play QB!

I would actually like to see this kid at MLB. He sees the play well and diagnoses. Add another 25lbs of good weight and he'll be a son-of-a-**** in the middle.

MLB or DE. Not OLB.

Golden loves him some thumpers. This kid fits the label. Take him, play him on special teams right away and figure out the rest later...can't teach love of contact.

Sorry but def not a MLB, if anything he is good off the edge so DE or OLB.

What plays did you see him diagnose at LB? Huge difference than playing DE.

MLB has to be able to read and react quicker than probably any other player in a 4-3 b/c of the fact he is in the most traffic, and will get blocked if he can not read and react quickly.

So asking a guy who has never done that in HS to do that in college where everything moves a lot faster is a lot to ask for.

Think of the responsibilities for a DE for a second.

Now think of the responsibilities of a MLB or even LB in a 4-3.

Advertisement

MRob was probably the most misused kid we have ever had here. No idea why we insisted on having him playing solely DE. He should have been playing LB from day 1 and used to blitz off the edge. He made some plays during his time here but if an OL got their hands on him he was toast. Was just too small.

Exactly, MRob was too small for DE and was a liability at LB b/c of his lack of knowledge and EXPERIENCE at the position in which he was recruited to play.

Remember everyone thought that MRob was going to play OLB for us, then when he got here the coaches realized yes he is fast and the perfect size for a LB, but he can't diagnose plays from the LB position quick enough not to get blocked and he is a liability in pass coverage. So they moved him to DE to eventually become a 3rd down undersized rush end.

@tyrn there were a few plays where he got inside the interior and the play went the other direction. He reacted quick and took good angles back to the ball.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I think this kid is a MLB all the way. He could play DE but I think all you would get is a future transfer. No way he keeps up with guys like AQM or if we were to get a Lorenzo Carter. I definitely think he could add to the middle with some pass rushing skills on top of it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I would prefer cook outside and UM offer 2014 ILB Connor Strachan (from Mass.) kid is a real thumper with laser timed 4.45 speed.
[video=youtube;pWiwuo0XtUM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWiwuo0XtUM[/video]
[video=youtube;4nR74kB06E8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nR74kB06E8[/video]

@Paranos, I agree Connor is #1 but this kid I like as a #2. To get both would sick

Carroll is becoming an elite recruiter and this isn't like Kaaya because he has offers from Arizona, BYU, Vandy and others so he has options

I wouldn't go as far as calling him an elite recruiter just yet. That title is saved for the Tosh Lupois of the world.

However, he is making a name for himself and has really helped land some big recruits.

Exactly, MRob was too small for DE and was a liability at LB b/c of his lack of knowledge and EXPERIENCE at the position in which he was recruited to play.

Remember everyone thought that MRob was going to play OLB for us, then when he got here the coaches realized yes he is fast and the perfect size for a LB, but he can't diagnose plays from the LB position quick enough not to get blocked and he is a liability in pass coverage. So they moved him to DE to eventually become a 3rd down undersized rush end.

were u on the staff or something? how do you know the coaches said he cant diagnose plays from the LB position so lets keep him at DE. how do you kno the staff didn't like the LB rotation was deep and he was needed more at DE cuz if i remember correctly he was moved to OLB when depth started to get shaky

Advertisement
Back