LB recruiting note

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
I've posted a few updates on LB over the past month, but the question keeps getting asked so I will explain it as best as I can.

There is not an urgency from the staff to sign a linebacker in this class. At this point, Miami still believes that they will land Patrick Joyner, FSU commit (despite what Joyner himself says publicly in interviews and social media). However, if they are not able to flip him, the Canes staff has no problem taking 0 linebackers in this class and loading up on 3-4 next cycle.

James Miller and Nik Bonitto are two prospects they are monitoring, but there is no guarantee that either will receive an offer even if the Canes miss on Joyner.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
It's pretty obvious that we're transitioning to more of a 4-2-5 look.

And that's a great thing if so.

Yes. I mentioned this the other day in a thread. All you have to do is look at the way they’re recruiting all of these versatile and long DBs

Staff knows what they're doing. If they want to move to 4-2-5 as Pete has suggested in a couple of years, then it makes sense to not load up on LBs that don't fit what you want them to be able to do.

Advertisement
Taking 0 linebackers I feel will come back to bite us in the future.

Yep. Mistake imo. Besides, LBs are the foundation of STs coverage units.
We have 1 DT committed and 0 LBs committed.

Maybe it all works out great. But anyone who isn't concerned as a fan about that situation is just relying on blind faith rather than actually thinking.

Advertisement
Love the optimism of some of yall (sarcasm by the way). More than likely at least one of the sophomores will stay 4 years, and a small chance they all stay. I dont know if some of you realize, but we also have 3 freshman lbs that have a chance to be pretty good also. pair that will a loaded '19 lb class with guy that could start day 1 and we will be just fine.

Yes. I mentioned this the other day in a thread. All you have to do is look at the way they’re recruiting all of these versatile and long DBs

Dont think they are. They are going after a lot of LBs in 2019. And diaz barely takes a LB off the field now for a extra DB.

Pete does this say something about the confidence in the staff with regards to our sophomore LBs not declaring for the draft after next season?

Advertisement
Back