LB recruiting note

View as article
Probably one of those rare times where I vehemently disagree with this staff.

I don't get it man. You recruit the best players at every position every year, and there are some studs at the position in our own backyard.

So what if we're transitioning to a new scheme. The team still needs LB's. It's like saying we're transitioning to an run based triple option so we're not going to recruit a WR.

I respect the staff, but let's not pretend they or anyone else for the matter is above making a recruiting mistake.

Advertisement
They must think Shaq, Pinckney, and McCloud are 4 year players

No ****ing way they’re that naive. At least 2/3 will be gone.

Disagree. 2 are average. 1 is mediocre at this point.

Completely agree with you,makes you wonder if some of our fans watch other games to see what an impact Lb plays like.Our 3 LBs were great last year as we were the only team in all of college football starting 3 true freshman LBs and they played well for their class but none of the 3 have taken their game to another level,at this point they're 4 year guys and no guarantee all even get drafted(Mcloud).
Give me an example.. I honestly would like to see

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tried to tell yall its Joyner or bust. best LB prospect on the board for what were trying to do on defense.

Taking 0 linebackers I feel will come back to bite us in the future.

Yep. Mistake imo. Besides, LBs are the foundation of STs coverage units.
We have 1 DT committed and 0 LBs committed.

Maybe it all works out great. But anyone who isn't concerned as a fan about that situation is just relying on blind faith rather than actually thinking.

Relax! We running a 3-1-7 defense next year. This staff be innovatin’

Advertisement
Not taking a LB is hardly a disaster. We have quite a few on the roster.

It's massively more important to get Jaren Williams. We must sign a QB and more on the OL. Those are the 2 weaknesses on the team.

Diaz has never coached a 425. We are not headed in that direction.

Not sure I'd agree with this. He's done it plenty this season so, just because it hasn't been his base defense in the past, doesn't mean it can't/won't be in the future.

Advertisement
They must think Shaq, Pinckney, and McCloud are 4 year players

No ****ing way they’re that naive. At least 2/3 will be gone.

Disagree. 2 are average. 1 is mediocre at this point.

Completely agree with you,makes you wonder if some of our fans watch other games to see what an impact Lb plays like.Our 3 LBs were great last year as we were the only team in all of college football starting 3 true freshman LBs and they played well for their class but none of the 3 have taken their game to another level,at this point they're 4 year guys and no guarantee all even get drafted(Mcloud).
Give me an example.. I honestly would like to see

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Don't waste your time.
It's like arguing with women.

Taking 0 linebackers I feel will come back to bite us in the future.

Yep. Mistake imo. Besides, LBs are the foundation of STs coverage units.
We have 1 DT committed and 0 LBs committed.

Maybe it all works out great. But anyone who isn't concerned as a fan about that situation is just relying on blind faith rather than actually thinking.

Relax! We running a 3-1-7 defense next year. This staff be innovatin’

I thought 4-1-6

If the coaches wrap this class up with 1 DT and 0 linebackers someone needs to lose their job.

Oh wait, lets just take 50 ******* DBs instead.

I've posted a few updates on LB over the past month, but the question keeps getting asked so I will explain it as best as I can.

There is not an urgency from the staff to sign a linebacker in this class. At this point, Miami still believes that they will land Patrick Joyner, FSU commit (despite what Joyner himself says publicly in interviews and social media). However, if they are not able to flip him, the Canes staff has no problem taking 0 linebackers in this class and loading up on 3-4 next cycle.

James Miller and Nik Bonitto are two prospects they are monitoring, but there is no guarantee that either will receive an offer even if the Canes miss on Joyner.

It’s a mistake we need 1 or two this class. Imo Shaq is gone after next year and some on this roster might not pan out .

Advertisement
the 4-2-5 reasoning makes sense

Would love to see more combo packages with guys like Amari Carter, Derrick Smith, some of the freshman DBs, etc. coming up in the box as hybrid S/LB types.

We saw it against ND and VT and it was great

Will see it during Clemson too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4-2-5 or not. Taking 0 at a position is not smart

That may be true, but filling up a roster with reaches just to say that we added LBs is very Goldenesque. Do i want a LB or two in this class? Sure. Absolutely. But only if it's the LBs that meet our standards.

And i think we can all agree that 2018 is an extremely weak LB crop for S. Florida.

Sherwood would have been my ideal, but he wants to stick to Safety. If they can't get Joyner or Bonnitto, I say sit tight until 2019 and load up then.

4-2-5 or not. Taking 0 at a position is not smart

That may be true, but filling up a roster with reaches just to say that we added LBs is very Goldenesque. Do i want a LB or two in this class? Sure. Absolutely. But only if it's the LBs that meet our standards.

And i think we can all agree that 2018 is an extremely weak LB crop for S. Florida.

Sherwood would have been my ideal, but he wants to stick to Safety. If they can't get Joyner or Bonnitto, I say sit tight until 2019 and load up then.

Or....go find a LB from somewhere else?
With the possible exception of Punter or Kicker, never a good thing to have a recruiting class with
zero players at any position.

Advertisement
I don't like taking a blank on any position. You can be confident that players stay 4 years, but staying healthy is beyond your control.

I think we'll get Eaford despite what he said about Miami back in the day. This is a new Miami with a new coaching staff.

Not taking a LB is hardly a disaster. We have quite a few on the roster.

It's massively more important to get Jaren Williams. We must sign a QB and more on the OL. Those are the 2 weaknesses on the team.

I can agree that no qb would be worse than no lbs.

That is not a comforting observation.

Advertisement
Back