LB recruiting note

Why would we take only Joyner? If Joyner doesn't come we are ok with taking 0 lb.. but why Joyner? He's an awesome prospect but Bonnitto isn't that far behind him. Just not sure what the staff sees in Joyner that he's a take at a position they would take "0" at.

Bonnito is better than him.

They are moving more toward a 4-2 look..but routinely trot out 3 linebackers to spread teams and play Mccloud the mummy out there. Yea if they were moving towards it we would have saw much more of it during the season...especially against teams like toledo with lesser talent that u may have couldve gotten reps with it.

Not the end of the world...but i believe we need a talent infusion at lb..maybe they dont. The talent drop when certain guys come out is glaring to me...

Advertisement
Why would we take only Joyner? If Joyner doesn't come we are ok with taking 0 lb.. but why Joyner? He's an awesome prospect but Bonnitto isn't that far behind him. Just not sure what the staff sees in Joyner that he's a take at a position they would take "0" at.

Bonnito is better than him.

They are moving more toward a 4-2 look..but routinely trot out 3 linebackers to spread teams and play Mccloud the mummy out there. Yea if they were moving towards it we would have saw much more of it during the season...especially against teams like toledo with lesser talent that u may have couldve gotten reps with it.

Not the end of the world...but i believe we need a talent infusion at lb..maybe they dont. The talent drop when certain guys come out is glaring to me...

This. We have numbers at LB right now. We don't have quality depth, which is my issue.

The amount of feminine crying on this thread is hilarious.

Lbs are not needed this year. At all. Special teams canbe played by ANY other position. This garbage that special teams can only be played by linebackers is retarded 19th century thinking. Our best st players are RUNNING BACKS ffs. And they're badass special teamers.

The only recruiting needs in defense are on the dl right now.

And no we dont need a qb. That's another luxury that brain dead fools continue to bleat is a need.

One predictable loss turns this entire forum into a shi& show. Lol

This short sighted thinking is why Miami needs 100 DB's in this class and will need their TE and DT commits to contribute right away. You stack talent every year because injuries, busts, early entries, recruiting misses, etc.

The freshmen LB's are unknowns and two of the junior LB's are early entry threats (worse players have declared) so not bringing in a single LB would be a mistake (two should be the target imo).

The fact that McCloud hasn't been unseated yet is reason enough to bring in more talent at LB.

Lol dumb. We started 3 fr lbs in 2016 and they dominated. The 2019 crop is even more special.
And tell me what lbs are gonna want to come when the roster is stacked 10 deep for 2018 with 3 SOPHOMORE starters?? Smdh.

They didnt dominate. That is silly. They played really well for true frosh.

It has been a long time since we've had a linebacker crew what dominated. The standards are high at LB at a school that has seen Lewis, Morgan, Barrow, Vilma, Clark, DJ, Armstead, D. Smith, Beason, Spence, Clark, Crum, Moss et al. over the past couple decades.

Why?

why do you respond to this type of poster Ethnic?

It's pretty obvious that we're transitioning to more of a 4-2-5 look.

And that's a great thing if so.

Yes. I mentioned this the other day in a thread. All you have to do is look at the way they’re recruiting all of these versatile and long DBs

Moving DBs to lb is old Cane stuff. Heck, our outside lbs were always cover guys. Ray was a safety in HS. A big DB is just a small lb with coverage skills.

The 4-2-5 as explained by Gary Patterson.

https://www.afcaweekly.com/2015/01/multiplicity-but-simplicity-why-the-4-2-5-defense/

“Who, and how, we recruited was the first big reason we changed to the five-defensive-back system. This philosophy allowed us to recruit a certain body type athlete, which gave us a chance to pinpoint speed as a priority.

We believed that you recruit corners who might be safeties and better athletic safeties who grow into linebackers. By following this philosophy we ended up with an overall faster, athletic defensive unit.”

Advertisement
Taking 0 linebackers I feel will come back to bite us in the future.

Yep. Mistake imo. Besides, LBs are the foundation of STs coverage units.
We have 1 DT committed and 0 LBs committed.

Maybe it all works out great. But anyone who isn't concerned as a fan about that situation is just relying on blind faith rather than actually thinking.

Relax! We running a 3-1-7 defense next year. This staff be innovatin’

I like it! Bama did something similar in basketball the other night. Maybe we can just skip the one LB.

I believe in the noah's ark approach to recruiting. 1 QB and 2 of everything else. Excluding kickers who you recruit ever 3-4 years that is 19 guys then you get extra of what you need to get the proper numbers depth or need desperate help in.

We got 0 QB, 3 RBs, 3 WR, 2 TEs, 3 OLs, 1 DEs, 1 DTs, 0 LBs, 5 DBs 1 Kicker.

We need a QB, 2 LBs, 1 DT and 1 DE. That would put the class at 24. I get the whole we don't absolutely need a LB but I think it always good to have someone in development. Not to mention, LB means a lot to special teams considering we might have the worse ST unit in the country.

Lowkey I don't know why we recruited a FB when we don't use it. I'd use the FB scholarship on another OL. If our OL get push we won't need a FB.

I believe in the noah's ark approach to recruiting. 1 QB and 2 of everything else. Excluding kickers who you recruit ever 3-4 years that is 19 guys then you get extra of what you need to get the proper numbers depth or need desperate help in.

We got 0 QB, 3 RBs, 3 WR, 2 TEs, 3 OLs, 1 DEs, 1 DTs, 0 LBs, 5 DBs 1 Kicker.

We need a QB, 2 LBs, 1 DT and 1 DE. That would put the class at 24. I get the whole we don't absolutely need a LB but I think it always good to have someone in development. Not to mention, LB means a lot to special teams considering we might have the worse ST unit in the country.

Lowkey I don't know why we recruited a FB when we don't use it. I'd use the FB scholarship on another OL. If our OL get push we won't need a FB.

We've attempted to use Gaynor at FB earlier in the year, but it just didn't work out. We don't use FB in our goal line packages, because we don't have one. Hence, the offer to Realus George and his accepted commitment.

Advertisement

FWIW, I saw a picture of Joyner on Twitter with a big split U behind him and Storm 18 across the bottom. I think it was a Miami site, but made me come here to look to see if he had flipped. Have seen nothing so far on that.
https://twitter.com/joynerpatrick/status/934961474556047360

I've posted a few updates on LB over the past month, but the question keeps getting asked so I will explain it as best as I can.

There is not an urgency from the staff to sign a linebacker in this class. At this point, Miami still believes that they will land Patrick Joyner, FSU commit (despite what Joyner himself says publicly in interviews and social media). However, if they are not able to flip him, the Canes staff has no problem taking 0 linebackers in this class and loading up on 3-4 next cycle.

James Miller and Nik Bonitto are two prospects they are monitoring, but there is no guarantee that either will receive an offer even if the Canes miss on Joyner.

Apparently Miami ain't following this kids twitter because he does nothing but post FSU garbage... if it's Joyner or nothing, then we ain't taking an lb this cycle.

The amount of feminine crying on this thread is hilarious.

Lbs are not needed this year. At all. Special teams canbe played by ANY other position. This garbage that special teams can only be played by linebackers is retarded 19th century thinking. Our best st players are RUNNING BACKS ffs. And they're badass special teamers.

The only recruiting needs in defense are on the dl right now.

And no we dont need a qb. That's another luxury that brain dead fools continue to bleat is a need.

One predictable loss turns this entire forum into a shi& show. Lol

This short sighted thinking is why Miami needs 100 DB's in this class and will need their TE and DT commits to contribute right away. You stack talent every year because injuries, busts, early entries, recruiting misses, etc.

The freshmen LB's are unknowns and two of the junior LB's are early entry threats (worse players have declared) so not bringing in a single LB would be a mistake (two should be the target imo).

The fact that McCloud hasn't been unseated yet is reason enough to bring in more talent at LB.

Lol dumb. We started 3 fr lbs in 2016 and they dominated. The 2019 crop is even more special.
And tell me what lbs are gonna want to come when the roster is stacked 10 deep for 2018 with 3 SOPHOMORE starters?? Smdh.

You don't feel that was a little bit of lightening in the bottle? Good teams with quality depth don't find themselves in that position too often.

With CFB what it is, with early defection, attrition and injuries, you'll be young and thin somewhere, but all LB spots, whether its 2 or 3, isn't an acceptable strategy.

Advertisement
I think we end up with 1 LB.

I'd love to take a chance on a raw athlete at LB. There's gotta be several of those type kids kicking around south florida. There's always freaks that sneak under the radar.

Zero LBs would be retarded. Unless they have a very good feeling about 1 or 2 of our current Safeties becoming impact LBs, taking 0 LBs is idiotic.

Zero LBs would be retarded. Unless they have a very good feeling about 1 or 2 of our current Safeties becoming impact LBs, taking 0 LBs is idiotic.

My guess is they do. Those outside backers may look more like Jokers in a 4-2-5 or simply be undersized from a traditional linebacker perspective.

Will see. Agree though, zero linebackers doesn't make any sense.

Advertisement
We currently have 2 excellent proven LBs on our roster. The vast majority of the depth are JAGs, and the better prospects (Steed, Wilder, and Jennings) are complete unknowns right now.

Mcloud played a really good game against Pitt, hopefully that's a sign he is tightening his game up because the ability is obviously there.

Advertisement
Back