LB recruiting...again

View as article
For me it's not so much numbers as it is a talent thing.

I get that ratings aren't everything and the coaches are high on these guys - but Wilder, Steed, Jennings, Joyner - they're all rated around #500 or lower nationally.

I think 2 straight years of not landing a player in the Top 400 isn't good (at any position, not just LB).

no, actually for me its purely a numbers thing.

Steed and Joyner are top level talents imo.
Wilder and Jennings aren't as high, but they can be solid starting LBs on our team or great depth guys/guys that are really nice to have in on the rotation (unlike Charles Perry, Mike Smith, Terry McCray, etc)

For me it literally is purely about the numbers. We absolutely should have taken 2 LBs in this class. Only taking 1 LB in the 2018 class is completely banking on the fact that none of the 3 starters declare early....and thats with assuming we take 3-4 in 2019. I mean if none declare early, then the staff is making an okay decision, but the fact is if they are playing it safe and how they should, wed be getting 2 in this class.

Steed hasn't played competitive football since puberty, and Joyner is a 3-star.

Steed, played his whole senior year at Miami Central. Miami Central has arguably one of the toughest districts in high school football in the state of Florida, maybe the country. So when you say since puberty, are you referring to his senior year or are you making this statement based on 247 statistics which does not include his senior year stats?

You're right, I was going off 247. Well hopefully he's good to go then, that's good news

Advertisement
Shaq has the utmost confidence in Steed, Wilder and BJ... he feels Steed will be the mind ... BJ the Thumper will be the body and Wilder the freakishly athletic will be the soul

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Shaq has the utmost confidence in Steed, Wilder and BJ... he feels Steed will be the mind ... BJ the Thumper will be the body and Wilder the freakishly athletic will be the soul

That wont be much if together they form a retarded midget.

Meat got shut up by pops! Lol y'all keep talking I think some of our 2017 and 2018 recruits gonna turn some heads

I get that ratings aren't everything and the coaches are high on these guys - but Wilder, Steed, Jennings, Joyner - they're all rated around #500 or lower nationally.

I think 2 straight years of not landing a player in the Top 400 isn't good (at any position, not just LB).

I'm not sure where Garvin and Joe Jackson were ranked but I don't think they were ranked too high whereas DJ Johnson had a high ranking but surpassed on the depth chart by Garvin, totally debunks your theory and shows that stars and ranking don't mean anything.

There is tons of data, that it is an outlier as opposed to a "theory debunker" when this happens. This isn't 20 years ago, the sites are much better at projecting than they used to be. They spend more money on this than they ever did before. Every star level has dramatically higher chances of success, national honors, getting drafted higher, and being successful per capita than the star level below it. Anyone ignoring it at this point, and raising one, or five, or ten or even twenty examples of a 3 star out doing a 4/5 star are being willfully ignorant of the statistics for some personal reassurance.

Advertisement

Micro if your point is Shaq's validation don't mean Shiggidy if they don't work out... then I agree with you 100%. .... I told Shaq ... the idea in the military is: If the person back filing you is not prepared to take your spot then you have fallen short on your responsibility

I'm not sure where Garvin and Joe Jackson were ranked but I don't think they were ranked too high whereas DJ Johnson had a high ranking but surpassed on the depth chart by Garvin, totally debunks your theory and shows that stars and ranking don't mean anything.

Jackson - 215 National / 16 in FL
Garvin - 265 National / 36 in FL

Wilder - 480 National / 62 in FL (He'll be the highest rated LB in the last 2 years)

There's a big difference in their ratings. And there are always highly rated players like DJ that don't work out, that's why you have to stock up on as many as possible. Losing Bruce/Mullins at WR doesn't hurt when you also have Richards/Thomas.

At almost every position out best players are the ones who were also the highest rated:

WR - Richards/Thomas (both Top 150)
RB - Homer/Dallas (both Top 250)
OL - Donaldson (Top 100)
DL - Willis/Jackson (Top 200)
LB - Shaq (Top 100)
S - Jaquan (Top 200)

Like I said, ratings are not the end all be all. There's just an educated guess, and can be wrong...but they're right more often than they're wrong. To say stars and rankings don't matter at all is absolutely false.

The problem is you are using star rankings to make indiviual judgments on players, and that makes you retarded. Its that simple.

We all understand that 4star generally will be better than 3stars. We understand that. We understand that 5stars will generally be better than 4stars. However you can't make individual judgments on a player solely because of their star rankings.

Micro if your point is Shaq's validation don't mean Shiggidy if they don't work out... then I agree with you 100%. .... I told Shaq ... the idea in the military is: If the person back filing you is not prepared to take your spot then you have fallen short on your responsibility

This is so true brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

I appreciate Shaq's assessment as he is one of the leaders on defense. I am just glad that the season is over and Steed will get every opportunity to prove he can play at a high level in this league. Being that I knew about D.O.'s departure throughout the season, I have stated multiple times that Manny should probably go after 2 LB's if they are the goods. Steed has given me his assessment of the LB's and from what I gathered Shaq and Pickney are NFL caliber, hopefully Joyner is a stud also.

Wilder - 480 National / 62 in FL (He'll be the highest rated LB in the last 2 years)

There's a big difference in their ratings. And there are always highly rated players like DJ that don't work out, that's why you have to stock up on as many as possible. Losing Bruce/Mullins at WR doesn't hurt when you also have Richards/Thomas.

At almost every position out best players are the ones who were also the highest rated:

OL - Donaldson (Top 100)
LB - Shaq (Top 100)
S - Jaquan (Top 200)

Like I said, ratings are not the end all be all. There's just an educated guess, and can be wrong...but they're right more often than they're wrong. To say stars and rankings don't matter at all is absolutely false.

The problem is you are using star rankings to make indiviual judgments on players, and that makes you retarded. Its that simple.

We all understand that 4star generally will be better than 3stars. We understand that. We understand that 5stars will generally be better than 4stars. However you can't make individual judgments on a player solely because of their star rankings.

I'm not applying a ranking as an individual judgment to any one player. I'm applying odds and percentages to the last 2 years of LB's as a group, and saying we need to recruit more talent.

2017:
Wilder - 480
Steed - 643
Jennings - 698

2018:
Joyner - 656

What I am saying is:

1) IMO - over a 2 year span, there's no reason to not get a player in the Top 400 at any position.
2) In 2017 & 2018, we've landed at least 2 or more 4/5 Star players at every position - QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, DB.
3) But at LB, we've only landed 3 Star players. As a general statement, that should not be happening at any position.

LBs have the lowest turnover rate. They are not premium positions ( so they rarely get top draft grades) and is a very tough position to project because athletic abilities rarely dictate how good they are. (A guy running a 5.2 can be just as productive as a guy running a 4.6)

Advertisement

OL - Donaldson (Top 100)
LB - Shaq (Top 100)
S - Jaquan (Top 200)

I'm not applying a ranking as an individual judgment to any one player. I'm applying odds and percentages to the last 2 years of LB's as a group, and saying we need to recruit more talent.

2017:
Wilder - 480
Steed - 643
Jennings - 698

2018:
Joyner - 656

What I am saying is:

1) IMO - over a 2 year span, there's no reason to not get a player in the Top 400 at any position.
2) In 2017 & 2018, we've landed at least 2 or more 4/5 Star players at every position - QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, DB.
3) But at LB, we've only landed 3 Star players. As a general statement, that should not be happening at any position.

I don't care what 247 Sports says, when they don't even have stats for his senior year. He won LB MVP at the Nike Regionals. 247 also had Dunning rated higher than him so I don't really understand their formula. I believe it's heavily based on what offers a kids has as to where he will be ranked. For Steed his height at 6'0" prevented him from getting a lot of offers that he should have gotten early on. Also a lot of universities started offering in December of 2016 which by then I don't even think 247 was even updating his profile. Oregon, Kentucky, and Mississippi State all came to the table late in the process.

OL - Donaldson (Top 100)
LB - Shaq (Top 100)
S - Jaquan (Top 200)

2017:
Wilder - 480
Steed - 643
Jennings - 698

2018:
Joyner - 656

What I am saying is:

Maybe for the most part these ranking websites get it right, but in the case of Steed I think they got it wrong. Solid 4 star imo, and definitely don't see 642 players better than him in the nation based on competition, athleticism, and football IQ. We will see!!!

Advertisement

OL - Donaldson (Top 100)
LB - Shaq (Top 100)
S - Jaquan (Top 200)

2017:
Wilder - 480
Steed - 643
Jennings - 698

2018:
Joyner - 656

What I am saying is:

Maybe for the most part these ranking websites get it right, but in the case of Steed I think they got it wrong. Solid 4 star imo, and definitely don't see 642 players better than him in the nation based on competition, athleticism, and football IQ. We will see!!!

Its really stupid.

DeAndre Wilder had offers from hella of the big named schools. Only one that stands out that he didn't have was FSU.
Steed didn't have as many, but still some good ones like LSU, Miss St, Auburn, etc. Plus imo was our best LB recruit. Him getting injured likely held him back.
Then Bradley Jennings was our lowest rated but had offers from FSU and Michigan.

So I mean. I think our LBs in 2017 were criminally underrated.

Howard is too small to play LB....guy is like 5'10 and 175lbs.

Pierre? not sold on him until I see it against actual competition. 5'6 150lbs white kids don't count.

Lol Howard definitely isn't 5'10. Where are you getting this nonsense at? You may be right on the 175 as he's very light...But the kid is tall and rangy.

Correct---
Orlando Nike Combine February 19, 2017--almost a year ago
Howard, Diamante... Southridge - FL ..DB... 19... 6-2(H)... 176(W)... 4.82(40)... 4.36(short Shuttle) 35.0(power Ball)... 35.7(vertical)... 83.94(SPARQ)

no, actually for me its purely a numbers thing.

Steed and Joyner are top level talents imo.
Wilder and Jennings aren't as high, but they can be solid starting LBs on our team or great depth guys/guys that are really nice to have in on the rotation (unlike Charles Perry, Mike Smith, Terry McCray, etc)

For me it literally is purely about the numbers. We absolutely should have taken 2 LBs in this class. Only taking 1 LB in the 2018 class is completely banking on the fact that none of the 3 starters declare early....and thats with assuming we take 3-4 in 2019. I mean if none declare early, then the staff is making an okay decision, but the fact is if they are playing it safe and how they should, wed be getting 2 in this class.

Steed hasn't played competitive football since puberty, and Joyner is a 3-star.

Steed, played his whole senior year at Miami Central. Miami Central has arguably one of the toughest districts in high school football in the state of Florida, maybe the country. So when you say since puberty, are you referring to his senior year or are you making this statement based on 247 statistics which does not include his senior year stats?

You're right, I was going off 247. Well hopefully he's good to go then, that's good news

So you admittedly don’t know crap about the kid but you’re willing to run your mouth? Please stop posting. If we wanted a bot that regurgitated 247 rankings, we’d have Andrew make a ****** one.

Advertisement
Back