LB Owens Solid to Miami

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
2014 Oakleaf (Fla.) linebacker Darrion Owens was down to a top list of schools including Auburn, Georgia and Miami. It was a tight race for each school until he found his way down to Coral Gables where he committed.

“It was a very nice city. I like the coaches and I just really liked it there.”

The coaches weren’t expecting Owens to join the family so quickly but welcomed him with open arms.

“They were surprised, because they didn’t expect it.”

Owens was in Miami this weekend for a visit and really enjoyed his time while here.

“My brother plays football for FIU, he has a couple friends down here. They took me to a couple of places.”

One thing the 6’4 222 pound prospect certainly liked was the campus at the university.

“I liked the campus it wasn’t that big , but it’s good because it’s small so I can focus schoolwork and I can get my work done.”

Owens was recruited by linebackers coach Michael Barrow and really built a good relationship with the coach.

“He is a funny guy, but you know he is a good coach. I can’t wait to be coached by him.”

When asked what his level of commitment to the ‘Canes is, he replied quickly.

“It’s a hundred percent, I’m not taking my word back.”

While the latest Miami pledge is planning on getting better during the summer, he is also planning on helping the coaches out a little with recruiting.

“Oh yeah , definitely I’m trying to make my class as strong as it can be.”

Owens played mostly as a safety last year for his team but talked about making the transition to linebacker.

“It’s actually a lot better, I’ve been involved in the defense more and I’ve been tackling a lot. I really like it better.”

Oakleaf Defensive line coach Dana Arthur described what type of player Owens is.

“He is one of the hardest workers in the weight room and field; he is a state weight lifter qualifier. He always has a smile on his face off the field, but on the field Dr. Jekyll comes out. You can’t ask for a better kid.”

Advertisement
“I liked the campus it wasn’t that big , but it’s good because it’s small so I can focus schoolwork and I can get my work done.”
he gets kid is about business

“He is a funny guy, but you know he is a good coach. I can’t wait to be coached by him.”

he wants to be good.

Advertisement
His brother is at FIU???? Like our chances of this kid sticking. Looks like he will be a good one.

Lets see if he sticks come February...NE Florida has not been kind to UM over the years...

“My brother plays football for FIU, he has a couple friends down here. They took me to a couple of places.”

this ^^^^^^^

Advertisement
I liked his response..."I'm not taking my word back."

That's awesome. Big kid, sounds solid. Just what we need on D. Welcome to the U!

gotta admit, a LB haul of Smith, Young, and Owens has exceeded my expectations for that position (if they sign).

Just need to get this DT thing corrected and we are on our way.

Shout out to those FIU boys for helping us out, SALUTE...

And I am sure I am obligated to say the same for the FIU girls also, better representation of what Miami is all about

Advertisement
This kid is gonna be a player at the next level. And he's gonna do it right down in Coral Gables. This kid isn't going anywhere and we should be thankful for that. Kid is a baller

I know his coach and his coaches family I grew up with them... if he says the kid is good he is... his coach played with dj hall who went to alabama

Why is this kid underrated by the sites if he has offers from all the major programs?

Advertisement
Its amazing to me how often guys commit and immediately waver. At least this kid is saying the right things and I believe him.

"I'm not taking my word back" is a pretty strong statement even in this day and age

Huge fan of this kid's potential. He is going to be a special one. We gotta get a kid from Jacksonville to stick eventually, right?

Why is this kid underrated by the sites if he has offers from all the major programs?

this

Maybe because he didn't do the Nike SPARQ camps, Nike training camps, Under Armour camps, rivals camps, etc. That's how a lot of these recruiting analysts rate all these kids. They don't participate, they just go off of hudl or other HLs on youtube since most of the analysts that rate kids only go to camps and not games.

Advertisement
Back