LB Graham shuffles around official visits, sets Canes OV

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2022 Stranahan (FL) 3-star LB Omar Graham participated at the Rivals Miami camp over the weekend, showing his skills against some of the best local talent South Florida had to offer.

“I went alright, I just didn’t get a lot of reps because it wasn’t as organized,” Graham said of the Rivals camp. “But it was a nice experience, I learned about some stuff that I need to work on. Just need to use my hands more when I’m standing up and encountering blockers. Usually I’m just speeding past them, but I need to use my hands more.”

In an effort to narrow down his options, Graham recently cut his list from 10 to 7 schools in early April. The top 7 list included Auburn, Florida State, Michigan, Penn State, Oregon, UCF, and the local Miami Hurricanes.

“I narrowed it down because I needed a set of schools to focus on, because I’m trying to have a set decision by late June or early July,” Graham said. “Having 40 schools just contacting me was just hectic, so it was time to cut things down.”

Of course, the Hurricanes have been a program that has been pushing for Graham since January, and the Stranahan star feels his connection with the coaching staff has only grown in recent weeks.

“It’s going great, I feel like our relationship gets better every day,” Graham said of UM. “I’m talking with coach (Jon) Patke, coach (David) Cooney, and coach (Manny) Diaz, sometimes coach Ish (Aristide). They just tell me to stay home and that if I want to play linebacker at the best, LB U, to come to Miami. Some of the best linebackers have come through there – Ray Lewis, Jon Beason.”

For Graham, part of the pull to Miami comes from his family, and he mentioned his father in particular as having an affinity for UM. On the field, though, Graham also brought up the caliber of athlete UM is recruiting to the program under Diaz, and he says he is excited to see Diaz at the helm of the defense in 2021 once again.

“Everybody in my family already knows a lot about the school, that’s one of the first schools that started recruiting me,” Graham said of Miami. “My dad loves the school, he says they have a lot of talent and they’re his favorite school.

“I just love the talent they’re bringing in. They’re getting a lot of great players from around this area, all the top players are going to Miami. And then I like the defense – Manny Diaz, he’s running the defense this year, and he had one of the top defenses when he was DC. [Diaz] said how their D-Line plays, it frees us up and the O-linemen won’t touch us. Their D-Line is so good.”

As for his recruitment in general, major changes have come to Graham’s official visit schedule, as he has shuffled around his visits multiple times in the past. At this point, though, he says he has set four of his five OV’s, including one to the Canes, and UM will receive his first visit of the process.

“I’ve set Auburn, Penn State, FSU, and Miami for June,” Graham said. “Miami, I’ll be going for an unofficial on the 1st and then the 4th I’ll be going on an official. FSU is on the 11th, Penn State I’m trying to go the 18th, and then Auburn on the 25th. I moved some around because I wanted to go to Miami and FSU first. My last one will be to Michigan, we’re still trying to set a date for that.”

Although he has done virtual visits with the coaching staff, Graham has yet to see the UM campus and football facilities in person. What will he be looking for when he finally touches down in Coral Gables?

“I just want to see the atmosphere, see how much I am a priority, and then just see if I can actually live there outside of football. I just want to see if I can be comfortable around the coaches and players.”

In 5 games played for Mighty Dragons during the 2020 season, Graham posted 38 tackles, 11 TFL, 9 sacks and a FR.

Advertisement
Most of his snaps were as a stand up edge rusher with some at LB. He looks pretty good but wonder how the staff views him? He’s already a big kid so I’m thinking future MLB.

P.s. papa knows best!

He got a FutureCast to Miami on Rivals. Granted it’s Ferman.
The only otherFutureCasts to Miami this cycle are for Jacurri and Bond and those are old.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Here's the FSU write up per Josh Newberg - very little to really base it on except he "feels"...

Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Stranahan three-star linebacker Omar Graham Jr. has set his official visit date to Florida State for June 11.

I put in a Crystal Ball pick for Graham to FSU. I don’t know when Graham will ultimately decide, but from what I’m told about his relationship with the FSU staff, I feel confident putting a pick in now.

Graham’s known official visit schedule looks like this: FSU (June 11), Penn State (June 18) and Auburn (June 25). He's working on a new date for his Michigan official as well. Other teams in the mix with Graham include Miami, UCF and Oregon.

Graham is the No. 38 ranked OLB in the country and the No. 574 best player overall, according to the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

Miami OV is scheduled for June 4-6, guess Newberg missed that..

Here's the FSU write up per Josh Newberg - very little to really base it on except he "feels"...

Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Stranahan three-star linebacker Omar Graham Jr. has set his official visit date to Florida State for June 11.

I put in a Crystal Ball pick for Graham to FSU. I don’t know when Graham will ultimately decide, but from what I’m told about his relationship with the FSU staff, I feel confident putting a pick in now.

Graham’s known official visit schedule looks like this: FSU (June 11), Penn State (June 18) and Auburn (June 25). He's working on a new date for his Michigan official as well. Other teams in the mix with Graham include Miami, UCF and Oregon.

Graham is the No. 38 ranked OLB in the country and the No. 574 best player overall, according to the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

Miami OV is scheduled for June 4-6, guess Newberg missed that..
He completely left out Miamis OV which you pointed out... my only guess with Graham is his offer with us commutable? We might have the following guys above him: Bissainthe, Lathan, Tolan, etc.

Anyway, not worried if he commits to FSU and we want him.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Good athlete. Big. Fast. Strong frame. Too many snaps at rush end to get a great read. His read/react skills were average, not good IMO. Has a ways to go reading his keys. Also did not see him stack and shed any blockers, siff through trash to get to ball carrier. Instincts as a MLB are not where you want them but he has time to improve.

Good prospect but he'll need time to develop. I'm not knocking the kid, he's a good prospect, but his film doesn't show the skills you ideally want to see in a Mike backer.

Hey I don’t know if you guys can figure it out or not but we’re probably only taking 2 LBers and the staff clearly love Wesley Bissathene and Demario Tolan sooooooo....
I thought the staff was recruiting Tolan as a Striker?

Advertisement
Back