LB Graham shuffles around official visits, sets Canes OV

View as article
Good athlete. Big. Fast. Strong frame. Too many snaps at rush end to get a great read. His read/react skills were average, not good IMO. Has a ways to go reading his keys. Also did not see him stack and shed any blockers, siff through trash to get to ball carrier. Instincts as a MLB are not where you want them but he has time to improve.

Good prospect but he'll need time to develop. I'm not knocking the kid, he's a good prospect, but his film doesn't show the skills you ideally want to see in a Mike backer.
You getting a little carried away with the Mel Kiper ****, homie. He's a teenager. I used to be this way too until I met college coaches and realized that THEY don't even diagnose kids with this much detail. Is he big, can he move, does he strike? Offer him, we'll coach him up. They don't dig into all that detail. They know most of these kids aren't getting coached worth a **** anyway, so they are not going to look good doing many of those things you mentioned.

Advertisement
ON ITU they keep acting like Miami's top 4 guys are Bissanthe, Tolan, Lathan, and Jackson from Nebraska. I think Graham is right at the top of Miami's list. I think Diaz is recruiting him personally.

You getting a little carried away with the Mel Kiper ****, homie. He's a teenager. I used to be this way too until I met college coaches and realized that THEY don't even diagnose kids with this much detail. Is he big, can he move, does he strike? Offer him, we'll coach him up. They don't dig into all that detail. They know most of these kids aren't getting coached worth a **** anyway, so they are not going to look good doing many of those things you mentioned.

Glad you made those points...to rehash a story I've told countless number of times in AL Bundy fashion....when I was in high school we played against this kid from Carol City who was physically college ready, he played both sides of the line but was really not particularly good on either side...my teammates tore him up...this "overrated" kid was none other than William Roberts, who ended up at Ohio State and later starred with the Giants...similar deal several years later when my brother lined up and handled Bruce Armstrong, who was a TE at Central HS before he became known as an All-Pro LT. What both Roberts and Armstrong had in common was the stuff you can't coach, size and athleticism..so, yeah, some of the Mel Kiper stuff you read on the net is silly.

I'm not claiming to be a scout (and definitely not Kiper). I state what I see when I review their film. And college coaches do evaluations differently. Some DO go in-depth when evaluating a prospect because you want a clear understanding of a player's strengths and weaknesses. That's being a good evaluator and making sure your LB room isn't filled with 3-4 year projects.

If we had better evaluations we wouldn't have an underperforming LB group. Projects get teams beat and coaches fired.

Listening to @DMoney on the pod, he thinks we get Bissante, and FSU gets Graham. I want them both, especially with Tolan(who I thought we were in great position for spurned the cookout to visit Dabo’s funhouse) flirting around.

With our LB situation we need Bissante, Graham, and Tolan! If we don’t land Tolan we need the other 2. Why does Graham like Free shoes so much anyway?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back