LB/DE- Coral Gables "Shakur Cooper"

Gables High is, what, a mile from our campus?

Golden should have a staff member visit the school every f'ing day. Like, go grab lunch, ride a bike over to the school, flirt with their athletes, and head back to the Hecht. It would take an hour a day. Of course, we should be doing the same for BTW, NW, Central, Gulliver, Westminster, and all the rest, but what do I know?

Advertisement
6'1"
200-210 pound range

Two things.

1. If Miami took pass rusher tweener Mike Smith. Shakur Cooper is well qualified himself. Should be a take all the way. Shakur Cooper and Shemar Smith as those DE/OLB types.

2. Major question with any type of kid like this. Will he be able to add another 30-30+ pounds to either play OLB or DE in college without losing any speed or explosiveness?

29 sacks does not happen by accident. Cooper is a phenomenal pass rusher, great in run support. Looks like a linebacker in his pursuit. Aggressive for his size and a no quit additude when it comes to a play. My only concern would be his pass coverage ability as I have not seen much of that.

His recruitment has not blown up yet but their is many prospects around Dade/Broward (Gee Stanley, Steven Newbold, Emmett Rice, Keir Thomas, etc.) and the nation who will receive more recognition as the process continues as it's very early and offers and rankings will have complete overhauls by the time summer rolls around.

In other words. I hope Miami gets on this kid ASAP.

As for our DE recruitment. Give me Bethel and Burns to add to Jackson and take Shemar Smith and Shakur Cooper as DE/OLB's. I don't think we will land Shavar Manuel.

Funny you mention Shakur Cooper spook. As I have a Dade/Broward top prospects piece I'm working on to release soon and he is in it.

Good stuff!
When you say soon, do you mean days or weeks? lol Cant wait to see it bra..

I hope to find "Keir Thomas" DE/DL from Central. I saw this kid before the season kicked off last year (at a USSSA B-ball tournament @Central) and he was pretty impressive looking. He is listed at 6'4-235 lbs

To my surprise, homeboy tore it up this season with 20 sacks.. Any buzz around him Geo or anyone else?

View attachment 29604

I believe for Keir Thomas has been some interest from Miami and other schools, he is another that I expect his recruitment to pick up. Strong kid. Good size at about 240-250 range. He's a DE/DT but I think ultimately a DT. He transferred into Central from Miami Northwestern before the season. Was an a key piece to that Central defense.

He is in my top prospects as well.

Donovan Thompson was just unreal this year for Central. Dade County best 167 tackles, and 14 sacks. **** his height, he's a playmaker. Theirs a reason why coach Smith compared him to Sean Spence who he coached himself when he was at Miami Northwestern.

Central has some legit kids that Miami needs to grab for 2016 and 2017. Keir Thomas, Donovan Thompson, Jamel Cook and 2017's Waynmon Steed and Navaughn Donaldson.

Last edited:
Keir Thomas, Cooper and Shamar Smith are 3 grimey *** dade county goons. they should all be at Miami, but Golden will probably outsmart himself again and ignore em or wait to the last minute to pursuit.

This. Got 3 terrors on the line right in your backyard. Thomas a DE/DT and Smith and Cooper DE/OLB.

IMO. Thomas would be a DT down the line. Smith a DE all the way. Cooper could play DE but I feel he would be and OLB and would have to get some refinement and teaching in his pass coverage but would be great in run support and blitzing off the edge.

And spook. I have Smith rated the highest between Thomas, Cooper and Smith.

Golden and staff would be idiots to not go after them.

Cooper might not even be the best defensive prospect from Coral Gables High though.

I like Gee Stanley the LB/S game a LOT from Coral Gables.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3199169/highlights/177483375

Comparing Gee Stanley to our current commit LB/S Devin Gil. Gil is more natural than Stanley at safety and better in pass coverage.

Stanley would need some development in that area BUT he's fast, explosive and great instincts and hits like a truck for a kid that's only 6'2" 190. Stanley I think is the better linebacker than Gil right now. But Gil is the better safety right now. Basically apples and oranges. Both could play linebacker or safety but one is more polished at one position and the other is more polished at the other position. They give you great versatility.

It's funny cause I think Gil should be a LBer in college and Stanley a safety.

Last edited:
That's 80+ sacks between 4 players alone (Cooper, Thomas, Smith, Thompson) LULZ. But Golden wants to run a read and react D with these savages in the backyard begging to be unleashed.

Only a complete imbecile can ***** this up.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Top notch DL talent (in this quantity) in dade doesn't come around very often. Gotta lock these kids down and stay on them.

Another crazy fact. 2016 Miami Central LB Donovan Thompson had 56 tackles through his first 3 games this past season as a junior against nationally ranked Hoover(Alabama), Stevenson(Georgia) and Booker T. Washington.

IMO. Downright absurd he doesn't have a Miami offer yet.

I love our LB class for 2016 but they seriously need to bring in Thompson. Kid is putting up numbers that Sean Spence did for Northwestern. Again height be damned. He's about 5'11" but so was Sean.

Last edited:
Golden offered Gionni Paul but not this kid. (shrugs) Makes sense. lol. Smh. If there is room for one more LB, its gotta be DT. I hope they don't pull the ole' "if one of the 3 guys back out you are the first call we are making" BS. I know Shaq dad isn't too keen on adding more LBs..But this kid is a must get.

There should DEF be a "All Last Minute" team started on this site for the team of players that we know deserve offers but wont get one until a week before NSD after we strike out on guys we had no shot with from the beginning. I.E...When/If Shavar Manual eliminates us, we offer Keir Thomas the night before NSD. Smh. When he should have an offer by summers end.

Advertisement
Golden offered Gionni Paul but not this kid. (shrugs) Makes sense. lol. Smh. If there is room for one more LB, its gotta be DT. I hope they don't pull the ole' "if one of the 3 guys back out you are the first call we are making" BS. I know Shaq dad isn't too keen on adding more LBs..But this kid is a must get.

There should DEF be a "All Last Minute" team started on this site for the team of players that we know deserve offers but wont get one until a week before NSD after we strike out on guys we had no shot with from the beginning. I.E...When/If Shavar Manual eliminates us, we offer Keir Thomas the night before NSD. Smh. When he should have an offer by summers end.

We had explained the LB depth issue to poppa Shaq as I believe he was including others who are not LBers.

We severely need TRUE linebackers.

But I'll make an easy list for you right now. Kids who could potentially get slept on by Miami that are right here in Miami and Broward.

Steven Newbold - Carol City
Donovan Thompson - Miami Central
Shemar Smith - Jackson
Shakur Cooper - Coral Gables
Emmett Rice - Norland (Committed to FSU on signing day, has come out and said Miami would be his #1)
Keir Thomas - Miami Central
Aaron Thompson - Dillard
Ivan Smith - Columbus
Gee Stanley - Coral Gables
Dontye Carriere-Williams - Booker T. Washington

What would sicken me the most is if they completely ignore Cooper and Stanley from Coral Gables. Who are litterally walking distance from the campus and Coral Gables High has produced some great ones for us.

All Miami worthy.

doubt we go after Smith and Thomas hard. we have Jackson committed and i know the coaches are all over Bethel. and Burns seems to fit the bill of what the coaches want at DE.

What is Cooper's speed? I love these 205-210 HS pass rushers that are speed demons (kind of like the weaver twins, to an extent). Those are hallmarks of a fast Miami D AND a great special teams coverage unit.

If these kinds of kids, though, are not very fast, then I get Al wanting to pass on them.

Advertisement
doubt we go after Smith and Thomas hard. we have Jackson committed and i know the coaches are all over Bethel. and Burns seems to fit the bill of what the coaches want at DE.

Thomas is more of a DE/DT and probably a future DT.

Need to get Aaron Thompson at DT who has come out and said he would commit if Miami offered.

Let's first see if we even get Burns though. Love his upside and potential. 6'5", long arms

I could be ok with passing on one of Shemar Smith or Shakur Cooper IF we could add Burns into the mix as his size and athleticism at DE is elite.

Bethel is a must and if they don't land him, would be pretty **** telling. Hope his pops gets him here.

Let's say for hypothetical.

Bethel
Jackson

If we don't land Burns. Add in Shemar and Cooper. Shemar looks like a DE to me. Cooper gives you versatility where you can slot him in at LB potentially too.

I just pray they don't ***** up on the D-Line in 2016. Lot of talent but this was the same we said about 2015 DBs

We had explained the LB depth issue to poppa Shaq as I believe he was including others who are not LBers.

We severely need TRUE linebackers.

But I'll make an easy list for you right now. Kids who could potentially get slept on by Miami that are right here in Miami and Broward.

Steven Newbold - Carol City
Donovan Thompson - Miami Central
Shemar Smith - Jackson
Shakur Cooper - Coral Gables
Emmett Rice - Norland (Committed to FSU on signing day, has come out and said Miami would be his #1)
Keir Thomas - Miami Central
Aaron Thompson - Dillard
Ivan Smith - Columbus
Gee Stanley - Coral Gables
Dontye Carriere-Williams - Booker T. Washington

What would sicken me the most is if they completely ignore Cooper and Stanley from Coral Gables. Who are litterally walking distance from the campus and Coral Gables High has produced some great ones for us.

All Miami worthy.

i agree Geo all UM worthy

Steven Newbold - Carol City would take him and Pinder and end WR recruiting for '16
Donovan Thompson - Miami Central. Great football player but measurables aren't fantastic LB class is elite doubt he gets offered.
Shemar Smith - Jackson. Stud doubt he gets offered.
Shakur Cooper - Coral Gables. Stud hybrid should be offered but all depends if we go after a hybrid.
Emmett Rice - Norland. Don't know how good he is. and where has he said that about UM Geo?
Keir Thomas - Miami Central. Not sure on him kids a stud but will spend on DL commitments.
Aaron Thompson - Dillard - Want him to grow into DT hopefully we offer.
Ivan Smith - Columbus. stud but it's him or Mcintosh
Gee Stanley - Coral Gables. solid player won't be offered
Dontye Carriere-Williams - Booker T. Washington. Ice will ensure this kids offered

What is Cooper's speed? I love these 205-210 HS pass rushers that are speed demons (kind of like the weaver twins, to an extent). Those are hallmarks of a fast Miami D AND a great special teams coverage unit.

If these kinds of kids, though, are not very fast, then I get Al wanting to pass on them.

i don't see how one cannot have great speed getting 20ish sacks against high level Dade competition.

Advertisement

I met DT at a camp in Miami at the same time i met Pinkney my son and I were trying to do an unbiased eval on the LBs at this camp and DT was our 2nd Pick.. where i saw his weakness was on the bag drills that size and strength ...that will get better at the next level ...his strength was his quickness in pass coverage..he looked good...in my biased opinion i think the advantage that Shaq has is size and strength this past season Shaq was game planned...he had an X on his chest doubled team in every game..dealt with cheap shots every game but still ended the season with 137 tackles attributed to his size and strength

I met DT at a camp in Miami at the same time i met Pinkney my son and I were trying to do an unbiased eval on the LBs at this camp and DT was our 2nd Pick.. where i saw his weakness was on the bag drills that size and strength ...that will get better at the next level ...his strength was his quickness in pass coverage..he looked good...in my biased opinion i think the advantage that Shaq has is size and strength this past season Shaq was game planned...he had an X on his chest doubled team in every game..dealt with cheap shots every game but still ended the season with 137 tackles attributed to his size and strength

I agree. Donovan Thompson only knock is his height but he's a playmaker. I truly believe he is South Floridas best defensive player in 2016. Just he won't get a lot of high recognition on recruiting sites because he is shorter but as I said earlier. We had Spence and Perryman who were both 5'11" range.

A weight program in college will correct the things you mentioned.

He does it all though. Blitz, run support, pass coverage. You name it.

167 tackles and 14 sacks at the highest level of Dade football does not happen by accident.

Bring on Donovan Thompson!

Advertisement
Back