LB Alex Figueroa Commits to Miami

View as article
"If any player, I'd definitely wanna be like Sean Taylor. #RIP" From his twitter.

Advertisement
bomb, that's what makes sense.
i went to fuma.
but, there is some saying he didn't play there this semester due to injury, which doesn't make sense either.

I am now baffled. Read he was at Fork. Says above he isn't? Huh?

5 years to play 4. If he didn't play (sounds like he didn't) this year then it would essentially count as a redshirt.

Advertisement
Saw this little right up about him after the Virginia All-star game he played in last year.

Alex Figueroa, DE, Brooke Point
On the other side of the ball, Deutel's classmate was wrecking havoc from the edge as Figueroa was consistently getting pressure on the East quarterbacks including back-to-back sacks at midfield to slow an East drive in the fourth quarter. Unfortunately for the Black Hawks star, his 72-yard fumble recovery for a touchdown was called back for a penalty but his athleticism was certainly on display and undeniable all night. He scooped up the West Defensive MVP award.

Future TE imo
He has a little Kellen Winslow in him, in that he's a head hunter. Jesus Christ this kid on special teams lol

doesn't matter if you play fb or not. your clock starts when you start matriculating. if he took college credits, his clock started. he may still have 5, not sure about that. if he doesn't come until august and takes credits in the spring at community college, he lost one year.

I read a story from the Washington Post saying that he was going to FUMA before the injury, but since he couldn't play them he just went the CC route

Advertisement
I read a story from the Washington Post saying that he was going to FUMA before the injury, but since he couldn't play them he just went the CC route

At the very least he's a 4/4. Maybe a 5/4. Not sweating it.

Here's an article from the Washington Post. I can't figure out if it's June 15, 2012 or 2011, probably 2012. Had lousy grades. Apparently he has fixed his grades. All-Met First Team in Washington, DC is not bad. His parents are both Marines, so maybe he has gotten his act together. Some good players in this area, particularly in Virginia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Varsity Letter: Brooke Point linebacker Alex Figueroa realizes that grades matter before it’s too late

by Preston Williams, Published: June 15

Brooke Point All-Met linebacker Alex Figueroa will receive his high school diploma this weekend, a Saturday morning handoff at his school’s football stadium that in many ways will be more rewarding than any Friday night handoff he blew up on that same field.

When it comes to education, Figueroa mounted a fourth-quarter comeback. During his senior year, he finally realized that all those colleges valuing his linebacking skills could not abide his class-slacking ills. When the proverbial light that teachers and parents speak of clicked on for him, it was blinding.

Figueroa initially signed with Division II Shepherd (W.Va.) but now hopes to attend Fork Union Military Academy and land a big-time college offer from Virginia Tech, Virginia or Miami or some other suitor previously scared off by his grades.

Figueroa exits high school a newly christened A-B student, one who takes responsibility for his previously poor performance, referring to himself as having been “lazy” and “immature” when it came to academics. He wants other unfocused but capable students, particularly athletes, to heed the advice that he tuned out for years.

“My basic message is: Don’t settle for what you are [just] because everyone loves you because of football,” Figueroa said during a 90-minute conversation in his family’s living room in Stafford County one night this spring. “It’s called ‘school,’ not ‘football.’ You’re there for an education. You’ve got to swallow your pride and ask for help sometimes.”

Figueroa’s parents (Angelique and Luis, both former Marines), coaches and teachers had tried to motivate him for years. His mom said she never threatened to take football away from her son because she believed that was the main reason he went to school.

It was not until a sitdown meeting — a 75-minute intervention, really — in December with Coach Jeff Berry that the linebacker stirred from his scholastic slumber. That huddle occurred in Berry’s office, where so many recruiters had those “we love your talent, but your grades . . . ” conversations with Figueroa, the visits when he lapped up the college coaches’ praise and dreaded their inevitable comments about his transcript.

There was no screaming during the intervention. Just stinging straight talk from his parents and Berry, the exasperated yet supportive adults in his life. You want to be a clown? Fine. Just stop wasting our time. We’ve done all we can do. It’s up to you.

“That meeting?” said Angelique Figueroa, a substance abuse counselor. “Oh, I saw his face. There was nothing he could say. He’s sitting there and taking it. I saw the eyes. I saw him breathing. All the nonverbal kind of stuff that he was connecting.”

The image that most disturbed the 6-foot-3, 235-pound Figueroa was that of ending up as one of those high school football standouts who never reached his potential, sentenced to a dead-end job in his home town.

He and his friends have a name for such ex-jocks: “Stafford all-stars.”

“I just don’t want to be someone that’s stuck here living in regret and telling people I could have been this or I could have been that,” said Figueroa, who turns 18 in July. “No one wants to be that person. That was the most painful thing for me to hear.”

So Figueroa started going into school early for tutoring. He studied for tests days in advance instead of the period before. He buckled down in oceanography, a class that truly interested and challenged him. He sorted out the X’s and Y’s and pulled his algebra 3 grade up a letter or two.

For perhaps the first time in high school, Figueroa experienced what he calls “the satisfaction of being able to feel like an actual student and not just like a bum sitting in class waiting for the bell to ring.”

During a dinner with Shepherd football coaches at a Japanese steakhouse, one of them asked Figueroa if he had any questions. He did. He inquired about the observatory at the small liberal arts school.

“I’m sitting there and it blew me away,” Angelique Figueroa said. “They were expecting him to ask a question about football, and he was asking about an academic program. And that’s when I knew, right there.”

Berry has seen it, too. “You could detect a seriousness, the remorse, him being an adult,” the coach said. “He’s become a young man instead of a little boy in a man’s body running around the hallways of Brooke Point.”

Figueroa will depart Brooke Point having learned many lessons, one in particular that he wants to pass down to underclassmen. He hopes they will be more receptive to such advice than he was.

“Just because you’re gifted,” he said, “doesn’t mean you can’t fail.”

Varsity Letter is a column about high school sports in the Washington area.

© The Washington Post Company

Advertisement
There is a huge difference between prep skool and Juco.

1) At prep school, your NCAA clock does not start. At juco it does.

2) At prep school, you are considered an incoming freshman by UM standards. At juco you are a transfer student. UM's admissions have historically been more lenient towards incoming freshman than juco transfers.

Advertisement
right. i'm assuming golden got the go ahead from admissions for this kid to be accepting an offer today.

The best I can figure out is he might be at Fork Union this semester (Fall 2012) and ready to enter UM in January 2013. I'm not sure of that, though. If that's the case, he might count against a past year, probably 2012 and maybe wouldn't be subject to any NCAA limits.

Its not that I dont like the kid. I love his violence and aggression. Like the fact that he looks like he could add some good weight to him. He just doesn't jump out on me on film, hence, meh....

But, I'm not a recruiting expert and I trust in Al Goldens abilities to find the gems, so I have faith in figueroa being a player here.

Advertisement
Back