Lavon Hooks

Advertisement
Love this guy and he's going to look great as a Cane.
I don't mean to throw water on the fire but has anybody noticed that we are using up a large amount of scholarships on D linemen?
Currently we have 16 D-linemen on scholarship for next season. We only have 10 offensive linemen for next year. Basically we have a 2 deep on O and a 4 deep on D.

On D we have Porter, Robinson, Pierre, Grimble, Corey King, Briscoe, Ivery and Moore at DT, with Cain, Green, Chick, Ricardo Williams, Jelani, Hoilett, McCord and O'Donnel at DE.

Currently 20% of our team our D linemen.

The numbers are just out of whack for us. There are going to be scholarships that aren't renewed but out of our current D-linemen I'm not sure we can cut any of them. Only Porter, Robinson, Cain and Green will be seniors next year with Grimble, Pierre and Chick as Juniors. Golden is not going to cut the Freshmen and Sophomores as he's grooming them and trying to cultivate their potential and next year's upperclassmen are going to hopefully be his leaders.

Going to be interesting going forward.

I don't mean to throw water on the fire but has anybody noticed that we are using up a large amount of scholarships on D linemen?
Currently we have 16 D-linemen on scholarship for next season. We only have 10 offensive linemen for next year. Basically we have a 2 deep on O and a 4 deep on D.

On D we have Porter, Robinson, Pierre, Grimble, Corey King, Briscoe, Ivery and Moore at DT, with Cain, Green, Chick, Ricardo Williams, Jelani, Hoilett, McCord and O'Donnel at DE.

The numbers are just out of whack for us. There are going to be scholarships that aren't renewed but out of our current D-linemen I'm not sure we can cut any of them. Only Porter, Robinson, Cain and Green will be seniors next year with Grimble, Pierre and Chick as Juniors. Golden is not going to cut the Freshmen and Sophomores as he's grooming them and trying to cultivate their potential and next year's upperclassmen are going to hopefully be his leaders.

What's your point?

Goodbye Pizza boy?

Advertisement
Family attending is HUGE. I was very skeptical that we would get this kid but it seems like Franklin is putting in some serious work. Gotta have a good visit

Lavon Hooks also saiad that he is coming to see the girls here. Cane.

What's your point?

My point is we have a boatload of D-linemen. This is not the 1950's where you could have more football players then students at your university. 85 is the max scholarship limit and with Golden saying we are self imposing reductions probably down to 80 or fewer then our numbers get even tougher to juggle.
You can't have 20-25% of your team be D-linemen. You can't saturation bomb one position because it obviously hinders the rest of your depth.

Family attending is HUGE. I was very skeptical that we would get this kid but it seems like Franklin is putting in some serious work. Gotta have a good visit

i'm glad he likes us as much as he does because the girls at um don't hold a candle to the ones at fsu. not to say that ours are bad (because they're certainly not), but all of the hot, stupid ones go north. on the other side of the coin, and lucky for him, a lot of the rich girls on campus want that mandingo action.

Advertisement

i'm glad he likes us as much as he does because the girls at um don't hold a candle to the ones at fsu. not to say that ours are bad (because they're certainly not), but all of the hot, stupid ones go north. on the other side of the coin, and lucky for him, a lot of the rich girls on campus want that mandingo action.

I went to FSU and UM. Our girls suck. Luckily the citys dont in general so when he goes out he should have a good time.

Advertisement

What's your point?

My point is we have a boatload of D-linemen. This is not the 1950's where you could have more football players then students at your university. 85 is the max scholarship limit and with Golden saying we are self imposing reductions probably down to 80 or fewer then our numbers get even tougher to juggle.
You can't have 20-25% of your team be D-linemen. You can't saturation bomb one position because it obviously hinders the rest of your depth.

There's more of a premium on defensive linemen. You play more defensive linemen than any other position, that's why we are recruiting so many. We will also have 13 OL on campus next year with Kerr, Gall, and hopefully Kirkland.

Linemen in general are a premium and you need as many good ones as possible. I just don't see any dead weight on our current roster and with us recruiting so many and hopefully signing 4-5 be it tackles or ends then somebody is going to have to go.
I think there is going to be some serious roster blood letting this spring.
Not counting recruits we have 5 tight ends and 4 safeties which is a pretty weird contrast. One post said that White was gone which is good for the team and that Porter is gone too which good be good or could be bad depending upon his attitude. We don't need any cancers spoiling what is being built.

We all just have to trust Golden with the numbers. These guys have a plan both short term and long term and from what I've seen it's working. Even with our historically bad defense you can see the plan at work.

One thing I think Golden should do next year is protect Goudis as if he were Golden's only child. Goudis right now is our special teams. He goes down on a cheap shot and we are screwed.

i don't see anything wrong with having that many guys on the d-line. having a good, deep d-line is a pretty strong indicator of success in football. generally speaking, i think you want to have most of your depth on defense... on offense you really don't need more than 20 players on offense if you're going good. i think the number is much higher on defense, especially along the line.

Advertisement
i don't see anything wrong with having that many guys on the d-line. having a good, deep d-line is a pretty strong indicator of success in football. generally speaking, i think you want to have most of your depth on defense... on offense you really don't need more than 20 players on offense if you're going good. i think the number is much higher on defense, especially along the line.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you 100%. We need all the stud d-lineman we can get.
this past season was the perfect example of that. No matter how talented your secondary is if they have to cover guys for 6 seconds then somebody is getting open. Bill Belicheck, who I can't stand but who knows his football, said there's no defense against a good pass. The best defense against a hot qb is body slamming his *** into the turf which goes into our scheme more than our talent level.
I've been waiting for years for a coach to teach more then a bull rush to our guys.

Advertisement
Back