Tears Last Nerve III: Head to Head Against Deion (was Neon Deion Coaching Megathread)

My only thought about his entire situation is for the kids. If Sanders is telling the kids that they aren’t likely to play much BUT he is honoring their scholarship, then frankly I applaud him for trying to make CU better, being honest, while also recognizing the commitment the university made to these young men. On the other hand, if he is also taking their scholarships then he is a piece of garbage.

Maybe this exists but the NC2A absolutely needs a rule that all scholarships are for 4 years. I know some schools have taken that position. Indeed I believe UM has had that position since Shalala. But a 4 year scholarship for anyone who remains in good academic standing and does not voluntarily quit their team should be a must.

One data point via ON3.

343147370_1599811190516528_3420056253961770554_n.jpg

Advertisement
You and I are obviously of the same mindset about how this ends but one counter argument that any coach that joins his staff might make is that Deion is also more likely to quickly get a "bigger" job if he just clears a pretty low bar of what will be deemed "improvement" at CU.

So these guys probably also think that they could be along for the ride of a fast rise and that Deion is going to let them do all the actual coaching. I personally just wouldn't trust Deion to have any loyalty, to give any credit, or to not try to play Madden on the sidelines on Saturdays when his main priority all week was cameratime. And all that doesn't even factor in doubts about he's actually going to build his roster there.
He’s not leaving for a couple years cause his kid can’t transfer

My only thought about his entire situation is for the kids. If Sanders is telling the kids that they aren’t likely to play much BUT he is honoring their scholarship, then frankly I applaud him for trying to make CU better, being honest, while also recognizing the commitment the university made to these young men. On the other hand, if he is also taking their scholarships then he is a piece of garbage.

Maybe this exists but the NC2A absolutely needs a rule that all scholarships are for 4 years. I know some schools have taken that position. Indeed I believe UM has had that position since Shalala. But a 4 year scholarship for anyone who remains in good academic standing and does not voluntarily quit their team should be a must.

Per NCAA rules, He can't take away their scholarships if those players chose to stay and finish out their education, but since all of them left, that opens up spots.

And the NCAA has already made scholarships guaranteed for 4 years at the P5 level, they changed it in 2015. The only way that they can pull your scholarship is if you commit a crime, academic fraud, or you quit the team.

I went to UM and saw a lot of smart kids get duped by stupid pyramid scheme stuff in the freshman dorms lol.

I think you need to remember 17 year old kids making these decisions are very impressionable and are susceptible to a charismatic snake-oil salesman who is rich, famous, and a HOFer.

I don't think it is fair to call kids stupid who fall for it, sometimes you just have to learn things the hard way unfortunately.

Btw I also think a lot of kids and their families think it is cool to be coaches by someone who looks like them, and there aren't that many black american P5 coaches out there. I don't think that makes a kid stupid either.

With that said, I hope he flops hard.

I think unless he really fcks up he will have a few years before people start expecting wins. Mario took a 7-5 team and went 5-7 and although we're upset about those results we see the talent he's bringing in and his big contract and know he has time to figure things out. Unless Deion gets busted for breaking serious rules or loses the lockerroom with his antics, losing a lot of games after taking over a 1-11 team won't be an issue to recruiting
I get the role model of a black man as I am one myself. I wouldn't dare send my son to him.

The reality show doesn't impress me. In fact it turns me away.

I judge a person by how they treat the least, not by how they treat the best. The young men that are in the portal are complaining that Mr. Sanders won't even release their film so they can find new schools to go to. That's just awful.

The classy thing to do is to tell each young man, I will do my best to help you find a new school and then to actually do it.

I don't much about Pac 12 football but I'm looking at their schedule and see automatic losses to TCU, Oregon, UCLA, USC, Utah, Oregon State.

Advertisement

In THIS SITUATION (new coach cuts kids), the university has to offer to keep them on scholarship. Which, apparently, Colorado DID DO.

But from a practical standpoint, every kid who can get a scholarship elsewhere will leave Colorado. So CU might not have to honor too many scholarships due to Coach Neon's cuts. But they have to OFFER to do so.

Per NCAA rules, He can't take away their scholarships if those players chose to stay and finish out their education, but since all of them left, that opens up spots.

And the NCAA has already made scholarships guaranteed for 4 years at the P5 level, they changed it in 2015. The only way that they can pull your scholarship is if you commit a crime, academic fraud, or you quit the team.
I looked into it recently too. Coaches can technically kick a kid off the team but the university is obligated to honor his scholarship.

Once usc is in the big 10 it’s a wrap. Going to be like the Pete Carol years over there again

Possibly. But with a lot more competition. Not saying that USC won't win the Big 10, but it's gonna be harder than winning the Pac 12 was back in Carroll's day.

Advertisement
I’ll be interested to see this list of his and what year the kids are in eligibility wise. If he’s going for a quick fix with experience he’s going to have a huge gap again with graduations. I feel like he’s going this route to parlay instant improvement into another job and leave a trail of bodies behind him.

You see this all the time (at least I have) where new management goes for instant gratification and doesn’t care to properly implement quality control, P&Ps, etc. and it ends up failing after short lived success.

Advertisement
I get the role model of a black man as I am one myself. I wouldn't dare send my son to him.

The reality show doesn't impress me. In fact it turns me away.

I judge a person by how they treat the least, not by how they treat the best. The young men that are in the portal are complaining that Mr. Sanders won't even release their film so they can find new schools to go to. That's just awful.

The classy thing to do is to tell each young man, I will do my best to help you find a new school and then to actually do it.
I agree with you 100%.

I'm just saying different people value different things, and plenty of smart people make mistakes like getting taken for a ride by convincing conmen all the time. I don't think it is fair to write off anyone who makes those mistakes as being stupid

Fck Deion as a person he's a narcissistic c*nt. The convincing conmen usually are lol

Good God, enough of all of these Deion Sanders threads. One place for ye all to poRst on him and Colorado.

Merged!
I'm ok with the merge, but in theory, my thread was a recruiting thread at its core (check the lists in the OP). When this all settles down (if it ever does), can it relocate back to the recruiting forum?

Advertisement
I saw he’s not releasing kids’ film from last season if they go in the portal? 😂 And all these guys are in the portal including Coach Joe’s nephew, Oakie, who @Samoan Souljah coached and said has a good head on his shoulders. It looks like a bad situation - really toxic. I don’t know how he can succeed based on what we’re seeing.

He's a rancid narcissistic piece of **** of a human being, end of story.

As I said - Everyone will have to wait each season until Deion has filled his slots with the recruits he wants.

To attempt to recruit before Deion gets his - is a complete waste of time.

Deion Knee-On - gets his first - everyone else fights over the leftovers. Attila the Hun never had it so good.

Assuming he can actually coach . . .

Advertisement
Back