Lashlee picks up the tempo, breaks down attack unit after Tuesday drills

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The big theme of Tuesday’s practice was the uptick in tempo compared to recent years, something new Miami Hurricanes offensive coordinator/QB coach Rhett Lashlee has been known for in the past and has hoped to bring with him to Coral Gables.

“That’s hard, a culture shock,” Lashlee said. “Throw them into the deep end, let them figure it out. The whole idea is for it not to be confusing. If we can get it to where they’re reacting and playing fast mentally, then their ability takes over.

While there were plenty of highlights and positive takeaways to be had on the day, of course, on just the second day of spring practice, things are nowhere near where Lashlee ultimately expects them to be.

“They’re still thinking a little bit, but you are what you repeatedly do,” Lashlee said. “It’s not anywhere close to what we want yet… The next step is to get to where they’re playing fast mentally, which will allow them to play fast physically.”

A big standout group from Tuesday’s drills were the WR’s and early indications signal that this is going to be a very receiver-friendly offense in 2020.

“I think they’ve got ability,” Lashlee said of the receivers. “They’ve got a skill set that hopefully we can develop and help them grow. The first two days, all those guys have done a good job attacking what we’re trying to do. They’re excited about what we’re doing, buying in.”

As for the pure talent he’s seen from his unit overall?

“As a coaching staff we haven’t put pads on yet, so it’s a little premature, but we’re excited thinking that we have a chance,” Lashlee said. “When I say that, I mean we have kids that care, that want to win. They’re fully buying into the coaching staff and what we’re trying to do offensively, coach (Manny) Diaz, and what we’re trying to do as a program.”

Ultimately, Lashlee has been tasked with changing the culture on an offense that has played nowhere close to their talent level in the ACC over the past two seasons.

“We have to show them how to win, you can want something as bad as you want, but if you’re not willing to sacrifice and don’t know what it takes to get there, there’s going to be a disconnect,” Lashlee said. “That’s going to be a big part for us as a coaching staff is showing them what it takes to win at a high level, how to get there, teaching them how to do things on a daily basis.”

Yesterday, head coach Manny Diaz stressed that the team was not ready to name a starting QB, although D’Eriq King took most of the reps with the first team today.

“I’m never really thinking that we’re that good in practice,” Lashlee said of his QB’s. “I do think they’re trying, have an idea of what’s going on. Things are happening fast for them too… You’re asking them within 10 or 15 seconds from the last play to digest the call and then snap it and execute, that takes a little bit of an adjustment.

“Hopefully, like any other position, once we start building reps, we’ll start seeing consistency.”

As the Canes leading returning rusher, junior RB Cam Harris started with the second team today, but saw some reps with the first team as well behind Robert Burns.

“With Cam, obviously I have no preconceived ideas on anybody, and it’s two days in, but what he did in the offseason workouts, I can tell he has some explosion, seems pretty focused,” Lashlee said. “He’s done a nice job of just going out there and doing a good job.”

UM has used freshman RB Jaylan Knighton as their 3rd back so far in spring, and he has made an impression on Lashlee thus far.

“We don’t have pads on yet, but just his ability to have no fear and jump in there has been impressive,” Lashlee said. “It’s exciting he’ll have the whole spring, I’m excited about that. You can definitely see his burst.”

The Canes have been rotating and experimenting a ton on the offensive line trying to see who fits best where, and that will continue for the next few practices before the coaches hope to lock players into set spots.

“Coach (Garin) Justice and I agree that as soon as you know where guys fit best, you’d like to keep them there,” Lashlee said of the OL. “If you’re playing left guard one day, left tackle one day - center, right guard, flipping sides – it’s hard to get really good at something.

“The first few days, we want to learn these guys. We’ve had two days in helmets, we’ll have two days in pads before the break. Hopefully by then, we’ll have a good educated guess on where to put these guys and hopefully leave them there for the last 11 days. Then you can see who can get things, who can really improve, who can get better each practice… It allows them to react, play fast, play with confidence and hopefully be more physical.”

Advertisement
...The Canes have been rotating and experimenting a ton on the offensive line trying to see who fits best where, and that will continue for the next few practices before the coaches hope to lock players into set spots.

“Coach (Garin) Justice and I agree that as soon as you know where guys fit best, you’d like to keep them there,” Lashlee said of the OL. “If you’re playing left guard one day, left tackle one day - center, right guard, flipping sides – it’s hard to get really good at something...

Zion is never (99.99% likely) going to see LT again barring emergency use.

Muppets try and listen next time.

But...but...but he just needs another year to grow...

but..but...but...

try and learn how to be objective would you?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Love the reps focus. Everyone is going to get markedly better with so many more snaps.

Love the reps focus. Everyone is going to get markedly better with so many more snaps.

Not really.

Studies indicate ~20hrs of deliberate practice uncover tremendous and elite proficiency if it is to be had at all.

It is the major component of why Zion revealed LT wasn't EVER going to be his position early on last season. In fact, pre-season practice revealed it--huge fail on Manuela and staff for not recognizing it.

Not really.

Studies indicate ~20hrs of deliberate practice uncover tremendous and elite proficiency if it is to be had at all.

It is the major component of why Zion revealed LT wasn't EVER going to be his position early on last season. In fact, pre-season practice revealed it--huge fail on Manuela and staff for not recognizing it.
I can agree with this. I would have had Scaife at LT from day one last year.

Advertisement
Empirical, I'd like to see those studies. To me, the offense looked like it was overthinking both in 2018 and 2019. QBs holding onto the ball to long both on RPO runs and all types of passes, or trying to force it into tight windows, WRs not running good routes, OL missing blocks. I never felt like they were in a rhythm. Also, there are a lot of pretty famous athletes who are legendary for the amount of repetition they would do in practice. Your argument suggests that practice wasn't a significant factor in their success.

It was so
Empirical, I'd like to see those studies. To me, the offense looked like it was overthinking both in 2018 and 2019. QBs holding onto the ball to long both on RPO runs and all types of passes, or trying to force it into tight windows, WRs not running good routes, OL missing blocks. I never felt like they were in a rhythm. Also, there are a lot of pretty famous athletes who are legendary for the amount of repetition they would do in practice. Your argument suggests that practice wasn't a significant factor in their success.
it was so painful to watch the guards follow the stuntman instead of just holding your area. Boy was that frustrating to watch.

To the contrary, my argument offers (I said this early and often last season) that pre-season practice had to show 100% Z Nelson (not attacking him) was a turnstile. Of you watch a cut-up of every sack, blown up play, or hurry from Z's position, I believe you will see a majority of them show instant backfield access. He offers no obstacle or delay to the rusher other than where he is standing the instant the ball is snapped. Forget the impact to the team, if he were my son, I would worry about his shattered confidence from week after week national tv maulings.

Did he face significantly better pass rushers in games than he saw every single day in practice? I would offer no (please correct me if wrong). His performance during real snaps was no different than play after play on Greentree. My speculation is the coaching staff fell into a classic trap of "the light will come on any minute now because he has so much potential".

It didn't and it won't ever while at Miami (I want to be very wrong). The coaching staff's inability to correct this led to Z Nelson's unnecessary, and likely damaging, humiliation.

My further speculation is Justice quickly assessed "this kid isn't getting it" and humanely moved him...

...to 2nd team RT...and even there reports so far aren't glowing right?

Josh Kaufman is one of the "faces" of deliberate practice research. His and other's findings have shattered the "10,000" hour myth of elite performers. You can find his somewhat humorous ukelele video on Youtube by using the internets and the google.

Last edited:
To the contrary, my argument offers (I said this early and often last season) that pre-season practice had to show 100% Z Nelson (not attacking him) was a turnstile. Of you watch a cut-up of every sack, blown up play, or hurry from Z's position, I believe you will see a majority of them show instant backfield access. He offers no obstacle or delay to the rusher other than where he is standing the instant the ball is snapped. Forget the impact to the team, if he were my son, I would worry about his shattered confidence from week after week national tv maulings.

Did he face significantly better pass rushers in games than he saw every single day in practice? I would offer no (please correct me if wrong). His performance during real snaps was no different than play after play on Greentree. My speculation is the coaching staff fell into a classic trap of "the light will come on any minute now because he has so much potential".

It didn't and it won't ever while at Miami (I want to be very wrong). The coaching staff's inability to correct this led to Z Nelson's unnecessary, and likely damaging, humiliation.

My further speculation is Justice quickly assessed "this kid isn't getting it" and humanely moved him...

Josh Kaufman is one of the "faces" of deliberate practice research. His and other's findings have shattered the "10,000" hour myth of elite performers. You can find his somewhat humorous ukelele video on Youtube by using the internets and the google.

first, I will never take advice on excellence from a bald guy who can’t even grow hair.

that said, he says the 10K theory is accurate about skill mastery. 20 hours is basic learning. I think the truth is some where in the middle. Tommy Kono the greatest American Oly lifter IMO once said if a youth athlete isn’t world class in their sport in their age group after 2 years, they never will be.

This is likley true more often than not. Elite genetic freaks attain performance levels equal to the 10k hour grinders much quicker and with less “practice”. The book, “the sports gene” has a good break down of this issue and kicks plenty of dirt on the 10k hour theory. When we talk about skill mastery at the elite level, a guy in the 95 percentile of all people gets absolutely destroyed by a true elite. Think about a state high school track kid vs Bolt.

With respect to Zion, I never understood why we played him last year. His testing isn’t terrible so who knows long term but he clearly isn’t capable now.

Advertisement

Oh ****, I've wasted 9980 hours of my life.

first, I will never take advice on excellence from a bald guy who can’t even grow hair.

that said, he says the 10K theory is accurate about skill mastery. 20 hours is basic learning. I think the truth is some where in the middle. Tommy Kono the greatest American Oly lifter IMO once said if a youth athlete isn’t world class in their sport in their age group after 2 years, they never will be.

This is likley true more often than not. Elite genetic freaks attain performance levels equal to the 10k hour grinders much quicker and with less “practice”. The book, “the sports gene” has a good break down of this issue and kicks plenty of dirt on the 10k hour theory. When we talk about skill mastery at the elite level, a guy in the 95 percentile of all people gets absolutely destroyed by a true elite. Think about a state high school track kid vs Bolt.

With respect to Zion, I never understood why we played him last year. His testing isn’t terrible so who knows long term but he clearly isn’t capable now.
A few things. Thanks for the Tommy Kono reference. Agree, he is the GOAT of American Oly lifters. Also, I know a few Elite esport "athletes" even some that will probably compete in the Olympics if we indeed have the Olympics this year. They have no idea about the 10,000 hour theory, but it's interesting that they have all told me they didn't begin to have elite level success in their "sport" until they had 8-10,000 hrs of competitive play in.
As for Zion, I'm still bullish on him, but for down the road. I believe if he survives this year that he's going to be a good player for us Junior year.

Advertisement
Zion could still be a solid tackle but he needs time to grow and normalize a healthy competitive weight. I definitely buy into the concept of elite athletes "figuring it out" after 20 or so hours but if hes too small, the skills wont translate.

Plus Enos' scheme would make anyone look bad.

Manny starting him is just another gimmick move without knowing how to execute it properly. He saw that successful and highly drafted tackles started as underweight guys, and he figured Zion could be that. Instead of waiting for 2-3 years, he threw him in game 1 after a terrible camp.

What we say in the military; good initiative, bad judgement.

What if we're practicing something for 10,000 hours and don't really care about getting better because technology will change in a year anyway, so we're just going through the motions in order to get paid?

Could I have just worked 20 hrs and gotten paid for 10,000?

Advertisement
Back