Lashlee Hates the Middle of the Field

The problem is the other plays were mostly inside runs. We didn't attack the middle of the field much, if we did, King was throwing to outside routes.
This was brought up nearly the entire game in the game thread. Almost no middle of the field routes, slants, curls, even drag routes, etc. There was one possession where Mallory had the short goal line touchdown I think where we started trying to middle of the field on that drive and were moving the ball. The we reverted back the majority of the game. Pitts strength was stopping the run and have a solid pass rush, so you would think more intermediate stuff would make sense given their secondary is spotty.

Advertisement
You literally have to be an OriginalRetardRetardRetard to think all those deep balls and screens outside will do us good going forward and that we only need to attack the middle of the field TWO TIMES in a game to be successful. This is absolutely not The offense that was advertised preseason; now if it’s because our wide receivers can’t get open over the middle (which is probably true) then ok I get it...but there’s got to be more diversity in the passing game other than deep balls and sideline routes that are triple teamed
Lashlee has attacked middle of field. Most notably, did it vs. UL, I believe. Harley caught a few slants. WRs dropped several balls, both over the middle and deep. Maybe doesn't trust WRs to come up w/ balls over the middle

Inside zone, WR screens, deep passes outside the numbers. That’s our offense. Really need to implement outside zone and more 21/22 personnel to not give away the direction of the run/option.

Please don’t throw down the middle of the field
I think it’s clear King isn’t the best At throwing at that part of the field so instead of repeated drawing attention to it. It appeared lashlee was very strategic with when he choose to attack and it worked out.
I agree 💯❗️King isn’t capable of consistently making those throws. That’s why faking the QB draw/run, then throwing over the top to a wide open TE or RB is great play calling by Lashlee. All 4 TD throws in this Pitt game were wide open, and any QB could have made those throws.

It’s been 5 games, and I have seen King make several elite runs, but I haven’t seen King make an elite throw. When King makes an elite throw, then I will see things differently. For now, I think he is a great running QB with average accuracy and arm strength.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Every time we threw there we had a completion (cam TD for example). Everything else is inside zone, deep ball, or throw to the sidelines.

Extremely disappointed by Lashlee the last two games.

Maybe King should go into shotgun more to help him see the field

Do you think it was an abundance, maybe too much even, of respect for their safety? And I’m sure not having brevin to pull coverage changed things too. Mallory is solid but he’s definitely no brevin.
the WR are hot garbage. Pope, Wiggins and Harley just don’t go get the ball in the air.
Pope get tossed around, I wonder if he weighs 150lbs to be honest. The one nice run he had he almost fell in the open field, dudes just not a legit football player.
Wiggins just sucks I don’t know how else to put it.
And then there’s the ultra reliable “jump before you catch the ball” Harley. And the dummy darn near stepped out of bounds on his busted coverage td.
Payton is on borrowed time as well, million dollar body and zero production. Time to do something with the opportunity your given bud.
Smith and Restrepo need to play a LOT more.

Advertisement
Inside zone, WR screens, deep passes outside the numbers. That’s our offense. Really need to implement outside zone and more 21/22 personnel to not give away the direction of the run/option.
We score 31 with that. Just because of big plays.

This feels weird.

I wonder if King can SEE the middle of the field.
Correct. That could be the reason why he doesn’t go middle enough.

I think Lashlee needs to call this offense more to Kings weaknesses than to bolster his strengths. Why not roll him out if he can’t see? Move the pocket. Build him throwing lanes. Something.

Also, I’m not liking his adjustments to the A/B gap blitzes on 1st and 2nd down. Obviously Pitt watched the Clemson game and did the same thing. We tried to counter through screens and HORRIBLY executed lateral plays. They don’t work. I thought I was watching that bum 1 and done OC we got from Auburn some years back. Gotta do something else.

Advertisement
He's saving those plays down the middle for VT, and UNC.... watch!
Halloween Run Away GIF

I wonder if King can SEE the middle of the field.

he can’t and I think that’s one of the problems we just have to deal with. He can’t get it through the line without lobbing it over the middle and you can’t do that. Slants seem to be out of the realm of possible routes we can efficiently hit.

This is why having a 5’9” quarterback is less than ideal. You have to open throwing lanes for him if you’re going to attack the middle of the field. Everyone standing in front of him is at least 6” taller than him and our interior line gets shoved into the backfield on pass play.

Advertisement
Back