Lashlee, Baker discuss thoughts from opener, UL prep

When you guys keep trying to raise up saban as if he's the standard of football, you lose credibility
I stopped reading after this, since Saban is the dude who won several national championships while installing a defensive scheme that was tops in the nation across the board.

He is also that dude who invented pattern matching whilst working with Bill Belichick. That same Bill Belichick who installed that coverage into his current defense, that was tops in pass defense last season.

So no, no one is losing credibility here except you.

Advertisement
It's not about arm strength with perry, it's about the throws he can actually make which gives him more courage in the passing game, when the new transfer qb looks like this, let me know:

or this:

Watch Kings 2018 tape, how about that.

We’re going to own the LOS on both sides of the ball. We run for 300 & hold them to under 100. Nesta Silvera is going to have his best game at UM.

I stopped reading after this, since Saban is the dude who won several national championships while installing a defensive scheme that was tops in the nation across the board.

He is also that dude who invented pattern matching whilst working with Bill Belichick. That same Bill Belichick who installed that coverage into his current defense, that was tops in pass defense last season.

So no, no one is losing credibility here except you.
You got worst invoking bill belicheats name as some type of defensive guru, GTFOH man. I don't care how many championships saban has, where was saban when spurrier was around, saban is a guy that understood better than most of these new headcoaches how to build a program, alot of these headcoaches now are weak minded, as soon as saban went against just as talented teams, he started losing. He'll always be a real good coach but he's not the best headcoach, his career path and belicheats career paths are definitely similar. Make no mistake about it, he might just be the best coach you've ever seen, but he's no jimmy johnson, barry switzer or tom osborne!

You got worst invoking bill belicheats name as some type of defensive guru, GTFOH man
Never hit the ignore button faster. Belichick isnt a defensive guru, sure bud. Keep it up with your knowledge of the game, NFL is waiting for you!

Advertisement
Watch Kings 2018 tape, how about that.
I haven't watch one game of the new transfer qb from whatever conference he came from, my first time watching him play was against UAB, all that matters now is what he does in this conference, against UAB, only his running ability stood out, his passing, nothing special, but it's game 1. As the better d-co's and teams come up, we'll see!

Never hit the ignore button faster. Belichick isnt a defensive guru, sure bud. Keep it up with your knowledge of the game, NFL is waiting for you!

Any body that tries to use a serial cheater as a means to support their non-points, is not even worth wasting time talking to them, so carry-on! ROFL

It's not about arm strength with perry, it's about the throws he can actually make which gives him more courage in the passing game, when the new transfer qb looks like this, let me know:

or this:

Arm strength or the ability to make all of the passes usually is the primary factor is stating QB1 (with a career 53%) has been better passing than QB2 (with a career 63%). That's not to mention other metrics such as a career 122 rating vs 158, or 7 interceptions in 335 attempts vs 9 in 578; . Perry's inconsistency makes his courage appears more like winging it. It's not something you can rely on from game to game.

From a coaches standpoint, that's probably the main criteria. Do they know what they're going to get. They can't plan around the alternative.

Advertisement
I went back and watched the tape after being there live. King missed several throws. A lay up TD to Payton and 3 deep balls. Harley was wide open on one early. The pass to Brevin on 3rd and long I thought was an errant throw at the game. That was all Brevin’s fault. He’s gotta make those grabs if he wants to play on Sundays. That was one helluva throw in a tight window by King.

The only glaring weaknesses on defense I felt pretty much the same about at the game. Except Gil looked better on tape then live. He shot the gap well for a TFL I missed at the game. He still needs to be a lot more consistent for somebody that dances around after every tackle.
Ivey was still atrocious. The one thing he’s proven, in his time at UM, is that he has a knack for giving up big plays. He’s like a deer in headlights when the ball is thrown his way. Ivey’s name is now officially synonymous with pre-senior redshirt year Knowles. It’s time to start Couch. He should be rewarded for busting his tail and forcing the fumble. He plays with lot of heart. That wins games.
McCloud looks bad. He reminds me of Mike on a really off day but he’s like that all the time. Overrunning some plays and late to the others. There has to be a way to get Jennings and Brooks on the field together.
Nesta, Phillips, and Roche are all legit. It’s glorious to see Nesta put it all together. Now we need Ford to step up and play like the biggest man on the field.
Lastly, can someone please explain to me why Louisville is favored over UM? I seem to remember UM looking like Clemson playing them last season.
I am a bit surprised by the line also but the betting public remembers the fact we were shutout in a bowl vs Ltech and lost to FIU, so not a shocker UL is favored.

My friend you just fell in the the calvin vortex.
Get out as soon as possible before you lose your sanity.

It's a frequent mistake of many.
I've nearly been sucked in on a few occasions.

But his appearance in this thread is pretty easy to sort out. I mean, you know it's just ignorant shtick with his latest "the transfer QB" nonsense.

Advertisement
Arm strength or the ability to make all of the passes usually is the primary factor is stating QB1 (with a career 53%) has been better passing than QB2 (with a career 63%). That's not to mention other metrics such as a career 122 rating vs 158, or 7 interceptions in 335 attempts vs 9 in 578; . Perry's inconsistency makes his courage appears more like winging it. It's not something you can rely on from game to game.

From a coaches standpoint, that's probably the main criteria. Do they know what they're going to get. They can't plan around the alternative.

Besides his running ability, they don't know what they're going to get from the new transfer in QB in the passing game.

But the main stats that matter to me is the new transfer in QB, prior to coming here is around 9 & 7 as a starter in a weaker conference, in the mean while kosi is just hanging out around 7 & 2 as a starter with major performances against far better competition than the new transfer in QB has!

I went back and watched the tape after being there live. King missed several throws. A lay up TD to Payton and 3 deep balls. Harley was wide open on one early. The pass to Brevin on 3rd and long I thought was an errant throw at the game. That was all Brevin’s fault. He’s gotta make those grabs if he wants to play on Sundays. That was one helluva throw in a tight window by King.

The only glaring weaknesses on defense I felt pretty much the same about at the game. Except Gil looked better on tape then live. He shot the gap well for a TFL I missed at the game. He still needs to be a lot more consistent for somebody that dances around after every tackle.
Ivey was still atrocious. The one thing he’s proven, in his time at UM, is that he has a knack for giving up big plays. He’s like a deer in headlights when the ball is thrown his way. Ivey’s name is now officially synonymous with pre-senior redshirt year Knowles. It’s time to start Couch. He should be rewarded for busting his tail and forcing the fumble. He plays with lot of heart. That wins games.
McCloud looks bad. He reminds me of Mike on a really off day but he’s like that all the time. Overrunning some plays and late to the others. There has to be a way to get Jennings and Brooks on the field together.
Nesta, Phillips, and Roche are all legit. It’s glorious to see Nesta put it all together. Now we need Ford to step up and play like the biggest man on the field.
Lastly, can someone please explain to me why Louisville is favored over UM? I seem to remember UM looking like Clemson playing them last season.

Nice analysis. I agree with everything you wrote, except I'm not as high on Jenning as you, and think BOTH of our starting LBs should be pahsed out for Brooks + Steed/Huff/Cave. I do think the King-to-TE/WR/RB passing game is going to get stronger, which makes me optimistic going into this game vs. UL. We've got some good chess pieces now. Just need to play the whole board.

Besides his running ability, they don't know what they're going to get from the new transfer in QB in the passing game.

But the main stats that matter to me is the new transfer in QB, prior to coming here is around 9 & 7 as a starter in a weaker conference, in the mean while kosi is just hanging out around 7 & 2 as a starter with major performances against far better competition than the new transfer in QB has!
More like 20-13 for King vs 5-3 for Perry. Don't forget, he was carrying Donofrio for two years. He's had enough starts to get a comfort level of what they're getting. Perry also had enough starts (plus practice and scrimmage time) to scare them. And its not like Perry's a young QB that developing. He's now 4 years out of high school. Most likely, he is what he is.

We'd all like a QB with ideal traits but we don't have one. The choice is whether you want a good passer that can manage a good and give you something with his legs. Or a better arm that can throw around the field, to both sides, and keeps you on edge. Most coaches will pick the former.

Advertisement
You say why mighty Louisville is favorite. Hmm. Well, my main man Yoda says this a SUCKER bet and what not. huh?

He also says there are basically three reasons why mighty Louisville is the " chalk. "

1. A night home game with ABC/ESPN CFB tandem calling the game.

2. The betting public isn't sold on Miami. duh. But the Sin City touts see something odd about Miami, because the point spread is still only... 1 1/2. Yikes. In other words, mighty Louisville should be at least a... - 3 1/2 home chalk. After all, they are ranked in the major CFB poll Top 20.

3. And finally, Louisville arguably speaking has the " seasoned " HC. Ouch.

Nevertheless, I sense the Armani suit wearing Smart Guys will lay late HEAVY cash on my Miami. huh? In other words, the Wise Guys know a good bet when they see one. Just like me!!
Nice analysis. I agree with everything you wrote, except I'm not as high on Jenning as you, and think BOTH of our starting LBs should be pahsed out for Brooks + Steed/Huff/Cave. I do think the King-to-TE/WR/RB passing game is going to get stronger, which makes me optimistic going into this game vs. UL. We've got some good chess pieces now. Just need to play the whole board.
Jennings hits people. That’s why I like him. It’s good to have a guy that’s a grown man at LB who’s hungry. That doesn’t mean I don’t want to see Huff and TAC though either. I think it also depends on the opponent.

Had a slow morning so I sat down and watched three condensed games

UM vs UL 2019
UM vs UAB 2020
UL vs WKU 2020

I'm not an X&O's expert but here's my two cents on what I saw without getting very technical.

On Offense for Miami

1. We did just about everything you can imagine well on offense against UL last year. They were putrid. We ran and threw all over them, basically at will.

2. Our game against UAB is a bit of a throw away. Not too much to be gleaned from it as far as scheme goes. We know we are going to run it and push the tempo, but I don't think our true bread and butter tendencies were revealed in any meaningful way in that game. I am interested to see how the running game takes shape once we incorporate the full passing complement into the offense.

3. After watching them play against WKU it does not appear UL is much better on defense if at all. They gave up multiple big plays in the run game and pass game. They have some fast LBs that aren't particularly disciplined and that is about it. Not much in the way of play makers elsewhere on the defense. Miami can take advantage of their aggressiveness with some misdirection stuff but, we can also just cram it up their *** and power straight through their charmin soft DLine IMO. They can limit our success on the edges with their speed but, they don't appear to have any answer in the middle. Their secondary doesn't communicate particularly well and doesn't appear all that speedy either. It's one thing to find speedy undersized LBs in the recruiting bargain bin, a lot harder to find true diamonds in the rough speedsters at DB.

On Defense for Miami

1. Last year Louisville had success with crossing routes and roll outs. They still use those concepts and they were evident against WKU also when Cunningham seems most comfortable. Cunningham was able to drop back against WKU but he stared his targets down and threw into questionable coverage several times. One of those should have been an INT that their WR Fitzpatrick made a nice play on and turned into an 80 or so yard housecall. Our DBs haven't shown elite ball skills so it's imperative they use good technique, attack the highpoint etc. 'cause the UL WR corps will go get the ball when it is in the air. They run off tackle with success using speedy, shifty backs. They were able to get some chunk yardage plays against us last year in the run game but lacked the consistency running the ball to make a difference in the outcome. Overall I feel like our Dline isn't necessarily worse even though we are going to miss Rousseau in the pass rush. What is noticeably worse is UL's Oline.

2. UL lost Becton, Becton was a difference maker for them last season. The reality is 2020 UL has an O line about as good as we had last season, which is to say it is ****. I expect our Dline to feast in this game. UL relies on big plays and doesn't drive the ball particularly well, this is because they have negative yardage plays due to poor o line play, they commit penalties, and Cunningham isn't particularly accurate and has a tendency to airmail throws.

3. Cunningham can be a liability. All you will see in the highlights and condensed games is him winging it down field or hitting Atwell moving across the formation but you won't see what happens on the other 50% of his throws. Every one of those is a ball we can come down with IMO. All we have to do is match their big plays with plays of our own on defense. We did it last season with Rob Knowles logging a big portion of the snaps at S and the same secondary we are all complaining about right now against the same receivers and QB. Throw in Bubba Bolden and take away Becton and I feel like the matchup stays solidly in the good guys favor.

4. On defense we lost Rousseau and the LBs. These are sizeable losses but so far have not shown to have changed the the look of our defense greatly. The UAB gameplan was to get it out before we could get there. They did that for the most part. I don't know if having Rousseau on the field would have resulted in a lot more sacks or pressures. The LBs had a tendency to make nice plays but were also inconsistent at times and susceptible to getting washed out of plays or making bad reads, etc. While McCLoud played poorly by most standards I don't know if a decreased level of performance at WLB is that big of a liability. I was encouraged by Jennings play and if McCLoud screws up too much I imagine we will see more of Sam Brooks anyways. Bottomline I believe the defense can replicate their performance from last season against this UL team.

On special teams

UL is pretty terrible. Tutu muffed a punt against us last season. KJ had some nice returns too. Against WKU they fumbled one punt snap, had another blocked. Their punter is just not good. Their coverage teams are just soso. They have some big play potential in the return game based on personnel but I don't think they are well coached enough in that phase of the game to take advantage. This goes back to UL being fairly undisciplined across the board.

Final thoughts

UL is about as good as they were last season, they are not significantly better in any phase of the game. At least not at this point in the season. Miami is better on offense by virtue of D'eriq King, Lashlee's perceived scheme improvements, a more mature O line, and the dynamic freshman duo at RB with Cam leading the way. We are improved on ST and we weren't horrid against UL last year in that phase of the game. On defense we lost some difference makers and we are still looking for clear leaders to step up and give us the edge that we lost when Rousseau opted out. That being said we are still stout against the run and difficult to drive the ball on. I don't see Louisville making enough big plays to win this game if we take care of the ball and win in the other two phases of the game where we have a clear advantage.

I feel Bolden should start and have carter come off the bench. I’m I wrong here?

If I remember correctly, Miami sent Becton out of the game pretty early He hurt his ankle or lower leg and was carted off the field on the cart.... He was a non factor.

Advertisement
Back