Lashlee and the SMU Canes(y'all words, not mine)...

Advertisement
The only QB I can think of that short circuited like this is Christian Hackenberg at Pedo State.

He was a 5 star, looked great his freshman year under Bill O’Brien and then short circuited.

@Memnon - any other famous short circuited guys? I am sure there are a ton more I am somehow forgetting? Not busts that never panned out.

Mitch Mustain? Kyle Wright?
Tate forcier at Michigan (part was being overtaken by shoelace). Not a five star but Matt groethe at USF had a weird regression. Khalil tate fell off after richrod left Arizona… regression happens more than you would think

I honestly don’t know where he could go at this point but some coach will feel they can fix him.
I’ve been pondering this lately and thought of a few. Keep in mind, this is just throwing stuff against the wall to see what might stick and crazy speculation on my part. None of these are what you would consider a “perfect fit”, but here goes:

Penn St.- they seem to be fairly pleased with Allar at this point and time, and his TD/TO margin is impressive, but the majority of it is dink and dunk and they have virtually no deep threat. Would Diaz be in Franklin’s ear to take a swing at Van Dyke if he’s available?

USC - there’s not a whole lot of confidence in what’s behind Caleb right now. Malachi Nelson is the future but early returns at this stage appear he isn’t close to ready yet. The one HUGE issue with this potential pairing is that USC’s O-Line is horrendous, and with Van Dyke being a virtual statue in the pocket this could be a match made in…y’know.

Notre Dame - With Hartman gone after this year all signs point to the Domers hitting the portal again for another QB. Supposedly, they have a stud QB committed for this class(forgot his name) but he won’t be ready yet.

Advertisement
Tate forcier at Michigan (part was being overtaken by shoelace). Not a five star but Matt groethe at USF had a weird regression. Khalil tate fell off after richrod left Arizona… regression happens more than you would think
I witnessed Tate first hand, living in Tucson and cover UA football. Khalil was an athlete pretending to play QB, dude was one dimensional as ****, and once teams got film on him, it was a wrap. Maintain your pass rush lanes and take away his first read and Tate couldn't hurt you nearly as much. He should have bene playing receiver, he would likely still be collecting NFL paychecks had he done so.

I’ve been pondering this lately and thought of a few. Keep in mind, this is just throwing stuff against the wall to see what might stick and crazy speculation on my part. None of these are what you would consider a “perfect fit”, but here goes:

Penn St.- they seem to be fairly pleased with Allar at this point and time, and his TD/TO margin is impressive, but the majority of it is dink and dunk and they have virtually no deep threat. Would Diaz be in Franklin’s ear to take a swing at Van Dyke if he’s available?

USC - there’s not a whole lot of confidence in what’s behind Caleb right now. Malachi Nelson is the future but early returns at this stage appear he isn’t close to ready yet. The one HUGE issue with this potential pairing is that USC’s O-Line is horrendous, and with Van Dyke being a virtual statue in the pocket this could be a match made in…y’know.

Notre Dame - With Hartman gone after this year all signs point to the Domers hitting the portal again for another QB. Supposedly, they have a stud QB committed for this class(forgot his name) but he won’t be ready yet.
OK state would be a great fit with their golf courses

I forgot the name of the QB from USC who was a lock first rounder as a junior then returned for his senior season and went on to be a 3rd rounder.
USC has an impressive streak of guys who looked great as freshmen only to sort of fall off. JT Daniels and Kedon Slovis in particular.

Advertisement
I witnessed Tate first hand, living in Tucson and cover UA football. Khalil was an athlete pretending to play QB, dude was one dimensional as ****, and once teams got film on him, it was a wrap. Maintain your pass rush lanes and take away his first read and Tate couldn't hurt you nearly as much. He should have bene playing receiver, he would likely still be collecting NFL paychecks had he done so.
My point was he went from an offense that accentuated his talents to one that didn’t. And by the time they tried sprinkling in elements he had previously been successful with, he didn’t look the same. Similar to TVD.

USC has an impressive streak of guys who looked great as freshmen only to sort of fall off. JT Daniels and Kedon Slovis in particular.
JT Daniels' name popped up the other day on TV and I said to myself "that can't be the same JT Daniels". It was....dude is at Rice now.

1699710611573.png

Jacory, even at his worst was never unplayable. TVD is unplayable right now, he's that bad. Jacory, for all his flaws inspired loyalty from his teammates, he was a positive locker room influence. TVD provides NOTHING of value to the program right now.
Look at the context of my post. I was never saying that this was a complete comparison of them as players. I was just comparing the fact that Jacory Harris also struggled mightily with his confidence plus turnovers and Fisch was able to help him overcome that and that maybe the same is possible for Tyler. I never said the two situations were 100% analogous. I never said that Jacory was as bad as Van Dyke.

However I do agree with your post above.

Advertisement
Khalil Tate went from probably the most unstoppable player in the country to a complete JAG. Was he the guy who ended up transferring to A&M to play for Summlin but never broke through?

Khalil Tate went from probably the most unstoppable player in the country to a complete JAG. Was he the guy who ended up transferring to A&M to play for Summlin but never broke through?
He never transferred. I do recall Sunlin bungled Kyler Murray and Kyle Allen, who were both five stars and both transferred out (to Oklahoma and Houston)

Advertisement
He never transferred. I do recall Sunlin bungled Kyler Murray and Kyle Allen, who were both five stars and both transferred out (to Oklahoma and Houston)
You're right, It was Sumlin who took over at Arizona and tried to make him a pocket passer.

Sumlin went away from a spread, college offense where everything was simple to read and you just got to go as a QB.

To a methodical, NFL style offense.

There’s a lesson to be learned there if you’re Mario and capable of actually learning lessons.

Ive never seen a QB mentally collapse like him before. From legit top 10 college QB to Kirby Freeman. But yeah some desperate G5, low tier P5 school would happily take him in. Needs to find an offense like Lash runs cuz somehow he could consistently get 300yd / 3 TD games out of TVD.

I've never seen anything like it.
It's crazy to see, and he only seems to get worse as time goes on.

Advertisement
Back