Lashlee’s AirRaid vs Brile’s Veer and Shoot

WPB Cane

Redshirt Senior
Can anybody who’s well versed on spread offenses go into detail on the two biggest differences between specifically Brile’s Veer and Shoot and Lashlee’s version of the Air Raid? Does one play caller utilize more RPO elements into his scheme than the other? Which one has a more balanced attack? Which produces a better run game? Thanks guys 🙌🏻

Advertisement
Can't go into the differences but it has been stated repeatedly that Lashlee relies very much on an effective run game .. balanced attack. Up tempo is the key .. and spreading them out so your offensive weapons (WR, TE, RB) have more room to work.

Can't go into the differences but it has been stated repeatedly that Lashlee relies very much on an effective run game .. balanced attack. Up tempo is the key .. and spreading them out so your offensive weapons (WR, TE, RB) have more room to work.
Both schemes are balanced, up tempo, spread out attacks (that part is common knowledge). Where do they differ was the question.

Lashlee's system incorporates more running & is a far more effective rushing attack than the Briles system.

Lash is a Gus Malzahn disciple, he played for him in HS & coached under him at Arkansas, Ark St & Auburn.

His offense is a combination of the Arkansas rushing attack combined with the Sonny Dykes SMU Air Raid.

Briles system is just a variation of what his dad ran at Houston & Baylor, really it goes back to when Art was coachin HS down in TX back in the 90's & started going Spread while most of the other teams at that time were still running the Wishbone. He adapted it over the years & his time under Leach at TTech certainly impacted his style overall but at it's core it's still relatively the same system.

The difference is more of a reliance on the run game, Lash's system has a much more balanced Pass/Run ratio & is not the typical Pass only Air Raid that people usually confuse it for whenever they see those words. It's a high tempo based offense that's predicated on quick attacks & creating mismatches in the Defense by spreading the field horizontally with wide formations/alignments & forcing the Defense to pick their poison by committing to which attack they wanna stop. If they play double high then you hit'em up the middle of the field in the run & pass game, if they give you one on ones outside then you use you speed to beat them at the seams & win those one on one matchups.

Lashlee has coached versatile style offenses that have more Read option QB runs when he was at Auburn with Nick Marshall, so he can add that element to the offense with King, while still establishing the fundamental concepts of the SMU passing scheme in our offense as well.

As play callers, Lashlee is a lot more sophiscated & skilled than Kendal Briles, one of the main reasons why I had Lash in my top two OC's list is because from watching SMU last year you could tell he truly understands the chess match of football & understands the rhythm of a game, knowing when to call a shot, knowing when to be aggressive & go for the kill, knowing how/when to mix it up & keeping Defenes off balance. One of the major issues we've had is our play callers over these last few years always call plays with no rhyme or reason as to why, they just stick strictly to the play sheet & never adjust. Lashlee is the exact opposite, he calls what works & what's needed based on what looks he's getting from the Defense & what's happening in the game.

Briles is a bit of stat padder as an OC, high attempts to produce high yardage. Lashlee is calling the game to put the offense at the most advantageous situation to move the ball down the field & score.

I would say Lashlee's offense will be closer to what Oklahoma & UCF runs, Briles is closer to what TTech/Wash St & USC run.

Lashlee's system incorporates more running & is a far more effective rushing attack than the Briles system.

Lash is a Gus Malzahn disciple, he played for him in HS & coached under him at Arkansas, Ark St & Auburn.

His offense is a combination of the Arkansas rushing attack combined with the Sonny Dykes SMU Air Raid.

Briles system is just a variation of what his dad ran at Houston & Baylor, really it goes back to when Art was coachin HS down in TX back in the 90's & started going Spread while most of the other teams at that time were still running the Wishbone. He adapted it over the years & his time under Leach at TTech certainly impacted his style overall but at it's core it's still relatively the same system.

The difference is more of a reliance on the run game, Lash's system has a much more balanced Pass/Run ratio & is not the typical Pass only Air Raid that people usually confuse it for whenever they see those words. It's a high tempo based offense that's predicated on quick attacks & creating mismatches in the Defense by spreading the field horizontally with wide formations/alignments & forcing the Defense to pick their poison by committing to which attack they wanna stop. If they play double high then you hit'em up the middle of the field in the run & pass game, if they give you one on ones outside then you use you speed to beat them at the seams & win those one on one matchups.

Lashlee has coached versatile style offenses that have more Read option QB runs when he was at Auburn with Nick Marshall, so he can add that element to the offense with King, while still establishing the fundamental concepts of the SMU passing scheme in our offense as well.

As play callers, Lashlee is a lot more sophiscated & skilled than Kendal Briles, one of the main reasons why I had Lash in my top two OC's list is because from watching SMU last year you could tell he truly understands the chess match of football & understands the rhythm of a game, knowing when to call a shot, knowing when to be aggressive & go for the kill, knowing how/when to mix it up & keeping Defenes off balance. One of the major issues we've had is our play callers over these last few years always call plays with no rhyme or reason as to why, they just stick strictly to the play sheet & never adjust. Lashlee is the exact opposite, he calls what works & what's needed based on what looks he's getting from the Defense & what's happening in the game.

Briles is a bit of stat padder as an OC, high attempts to produce high yardage. Lashlee is calling the game to put the offense at the most advantageous situation to move the ball down the field & score.

I would say Lashlee's offense will be closer to what Oklahoma & UCF runs, Briles is closer to what TTech/Wash St & USC run.
Thanks for taking the time to type and share that info LCE, exactly what I was looking for man 👍🏻.

It sounds like the most effective QB will not be the guy will the spectacular arm, but the guy that knows the playbook inside out and knows exactly where to go with the ball because he’s elite at reading defenses (A Dorsey). Sounds like we can expect to see a lot of “check with me” in pre snap where the entire offense looks to the sideline. (gonna love that!)

Advertisement

You saved me a **** load of typing. The incorporation of the Sonny Dykes air raid is what separates Lashlee from just being a Gus Malzahn clone. His background is in a run heavy, tempo based spread but his master’s degree is in an air raid passing game

Great comparison in using UCF as a similar in philosophy.

Go Canes

Papa Briles had dam near scariest offense in the 2010s.. near perfection.. they struck fear in everybody.. put freaking Baylor, BAYLOR on the map!

While we fumbled around with pro style bro, ugh
I remember, him and RG3 put up crazy numbers. I remember that offense making teams commit to stopping the run or pass and Briles being able to make them pay all game long with his veer and shoot.

Advertisement

So basically along the lines of Lincoln Riley adding a power run game to the Leach's Air Raid to take advantage of the good RBs at Oklahoma. Miami with a faster paced Oklahoma style O? I'll take it.

Lashlee was my #2 choice, just barely behind Sean Gleeson, but it was a great hire nonetheless.

i agree with the ucf comparison, if its anything like that were in for a good year in my opinion

Who else was in your top 2 for OC's?

This why you’re the goat El

Advertisement
Advertisement

This all makes me to draw 1 foregone conclusion: D'eriq King is gonna do damage vs our schedule

How reliant is Lashlee on run game?

Will the short passing attacks open up just enough space for our Canes DIII quality line to give the RBs any daylight to sneak through?

D'eriq King will be absolutely key. Take a look at the 2018 SMU season when the offense was first installed and the Texas transfer QB wasn't there yet . . . Also, take a look at the difference in the OL between 2018 and 2019. Then ask where SMU is without Proche . . .

D'eriq King will be absolutely key. Take a look at the 2018 SMU season when the offense was first installed and the Texas transfer QB wasn't there yet . . . Also, take a look at the difference in the OL between 2018 and 2019. Then ask where SMU is without Proche . . .
King will do nothing if this offensive line isn’t fixed. And I have a hard time believing it will be fixed. There was a video posted last week with the sights and sounds from practice, and I saw back to back plays where the offensive lineman got beat. Nesta absolutely abused one of the offensive lineman. I forget who was blocking him.

Advertisement
Back