Larry Hodges spring game HL

Advertisement
His testing numbers are below par, but the man can play football. I see him in a Charles Clay-type role where he takes the occasional handoff.

I saw the first play and had to pause. Did he really make a one hand catch while getting hit in the middle of the field.....

Had to take a moment and appreciate what I just saw. He's tough and I think Charles Clay is a good early comparison.

He can't be taller than 6'1 tho

Didn’t we have a kid committed to us a few years ago from the same school that was a TE/H Back hybrid type as well? He didn’t sign with us, believed he ended up at UC.

Anyway, I like Hodges. He can def have a role here but I’d like an Alpha at the TE position to pair him with i.e. Zip.

From the pictures of him at camps, it seems Hodges is still developing physically. Reminds me of Herndon at the same stage. He might not test great now, but get him in a college S&C program and he'll really fill out.

Definitely projects as a solid player who can lineup in a lot of places on the field. I agree that pairing him with a receiving TE is ideal

That would be VERY nice in a 2 TE offense.

Clay, in the NFL, averages about 10 yards per catch and 40 yards plus, per game, for his career. He also caches 35-40% of those for first downs and mixes in some TDs. If that guy blocks, and you have an even more productive "receiving" TE, you are very dangerous.

Charles Clay: Career Stats at NFL.com

Interesting, in the last week we've talked about a Randall Cobb in our offense and a Charles Clay. We are also adding a real FB. Man, if these comparisons are even somewhat accurate, and we get someone calling plays with some imagination and vision, AND if we beef up the OL....we got something. At that point QB just has to make good decisions. Somewhere Kenny Dorsey is smiling and nodding.

Lots of "ifs" in that big sentence, I freely admit. But fun to think about.

Advertisement
Another comparison from a physical standpoint would be Nick O’Leary.

At the combine, O’Leary was 6’3, 253 and 4.93 in the 40 with a 4.50 shuttle. Hodges as a HS junior is 6’1, 231 and a 5.0 in the 40 with a 4.41 shuttle. Both guys are productive ballers who know how to get open and make plays.

No you didn't. Nor did we misread when Vilma was a 5.0 guy coming out of H.S. (at only 200lbs to boot).

Lol
Not that it matters now, but what proof of there is that Vilma, a guy who ran a 4.43 at the combine, ran a 5 second forty in High School?
Or are we just saying that to try to help Hodges case?

Even if that is true, which I highly doubt, Vilma would be an extreme exception. Hodges isn’t a burner, isn’t a quick twitch guy by any means, and that’s ok. No need to try to spin it IMO.

Advertisement
Thank god you folks aren't running the football program. You'd be jackin off to a bunch of bodybuilders and weightlifters but no good football players. This kid seems like he has the tools to be good, who cares if he's potentially a late bloomer?

No you didn't. Nor did we misread when Vilma was a 5.0 guy coming out of H.S. (at only 200lbs to boot).

I played (poorly) with Vilma and Gore at CGHS. Vilma ran faster than 5.0 as a junior. If I recall correctly, he was running in the 4.6-4.7 range back then (you got the weight right, give or take about 5 lbs.).

Advertisement
Lol
Not that it matters now, but what proof of there is that Vilma, a guy who ran a 4.43 at the combine, ran a 5 second forty in High School?
Or are we just saying that to try to help Hodges case?

Even if that is true, which I highly doubt, Vilma would be an extreme exception. Hodges isn’t a burner, isn’t a quick twitch guy by any means, and that’s ok. No need to try to spin it IMO.

I can't "prove" it. I definitely remember seeing his name on our list of recruits and his 40-time was listed as 5.0 at 200 lbs. I remember thinking to myself "WTF are they doing recruiting a 200 lb LB than runs a 5.0?" That wasn't the first or last time. I've learned not to put much faith on listed 40 times. The difference between a 4.6 and a 5.0 can just be a poor start. I much prefer to see a kid's tape (in absence of watching live) and to know how productive he has been against what type of competition.

His testing numbers are below par, but the man can play football. I see him in a Charles Clay-type role where he takes the occasional handoff.

In his highlights last year from Hudl he sure runs away from enough people consistently to have a 5.05--40. Either that testing data is a couple years old or he had an off day or the other players are wearing divers boots.

Advertisement
At the Orlando Nike February 19, 2017 he was 6-1 and 206 when he ran that 5.05--40. He is still developing as TheRichtShow pointed out
Ivins on the other site said at the Miami Invite Junior Day March 24, 2018 he was 6.1 and 1/2 and 234 pounds.
stb points out how he runs away from people in his game film and is supposedly a 5.05 guy.

In February 21, 2016 Nike he was 6-1 and 196 pounds and did the following-- Hodges, Larry, 19, TE, Tampa Jesuit, FL, 6-1(H), 198(W), 5.17(40), 4.64(SS), 34(PB), 25.8(vertical)

I noticed that 247 now has him at 6-1.5 and 234
Larry Hodges, Jesuit, Tight End

Breaking: '19 TE Hodges Commits to Miami

Last edited:
In his Hudl film from last year makes one of those one handed catches near the beginning of his film.
Larry Hodges on Hudl

Regarding testing Josh Sanguinetti tested rather poorly when one considers his play on the field and the offers he has received from some big schools 4.86--40, 4.53 short shuttle, 28.5 vertical all rather pedestrian numbers.
Football Recruiting - Joshua Sanguinetti - Player Profiles - ESPN

offers-
Joshua Sanguinetti - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

That cut he makes at the 2:07 mark on that HUDL (Chapter III segment) running play looks like a blur. I had to replay it multiple times to make sure it was not a skip in the film.

In his Hudl film from last year makes one of those one handed catches near the beginning of his film.
Larry Hodges on Hudl

Regarding testing Josh Sanguinetti tested rather poorly when one considers his play on the field and the offers he has received from some big schools 4.86--40, 4.53 short shuttle, 28.5 vertical all rather pedestrian numbers.
Football Recruiting - Joshua Sanguinetti - Player Profiles - ESPN

offers-
Joshua Sanguinetti - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

With Sanguinetti, if it was just his 40 time I wouldn't be worried. But when you add a poor shuttle and vertical leap to a poor 40 time it is concerning. Still when you watch his film, you see a guy that moves well.

Advertisement
Back