Larry Coker on talent in S FL and TX

-Dillard hasnt been worth sh*t since i graduated high school (02-04) That was their era. Them playing oos games was always confusing as they arent nothing but a shadow of their former greatness.

-Swag i would have to believe i fthat SLC/MNW game were played in s.fla the score would be more lop sided, it was an away trip...most of those kids first time on a plane.,..and first time out of dade county more than likely.

That being said....i love TX kids as well as my S.FLA kids....i like the mixture...Butch/Jimmy had connections in areas in TX to pull solid guys....even Randy had connects with forer teammates that were coaches etc...

Right now our connects are in the NJ/ MD/VA area with Golden's staff....but i dont think Football means more to any kids than S.fla/tx KIDS...I Just wish we had some of that coaching their kids get....its actually tough watching our GOOD teams get coached...

Agree with you generally on all points here and you know that, gg. My reason for bringing up Dillard was to point out that there wasn't a toughness factor in play, one team was just better than the other. MNW beat SLC because they were just better that year, not tougher, IMO. Tommy Streeter running by a 5'9 sophomore corner wasn't "tough", he was just better. Check out how massively outsized SLC was on both sides of the line, those kids fought their guts out.... no Ben Jones or Brandon Washington bodies on that line. The rabbit-chasing stories and Taurean Charles fighting his coach are human interest stories, but I've seen the rich, spoiled SLC kids get down and dirty with everyone they've ever played. The year before, Riley Dodge got drilled at the goalline and concussed in the state title game, threw up through his facemask while barking plays the next cadence, and threw a 30+ yard TD at the snap. I watched Forston, Aldarius, Streeter, Jacory, etc. play for 4-5 years and never saw that much "want-to", and I'm not even close to referencing all of the Dade kids who came out and looked soft at the next level. Dodge didn't need to have a father with AIDS and get bodyslammed by his QB coach in HS to be tough. I just think that card is overplayed a bit with *most* kids, as far as saying that all kids from some geographic region are naturally tougher, I don't buy that. SoFla is tightly condensed with big time talent and lots of it ends up on the same rosters, that's the deal, IMO.

This. as much as everyone hypes up this S.florida everyone has a chip on their shoulder attitude we sure seem to be grabbing all the ones like snickers who feel like "you win some and lose some"

snickers was the same way in hs @ pace. aint nothing change with him.

the nw crew for the most pasr got fellatio'd for 2-3 years in hs...then when they got to um so they thought they made it....some of em put in work..some fell by the waste side....you still have to recruit those guys imo....

Advertisement
Speaking of the MNW crew, I will go to my grave believing that "we" let them down just as much as they let us down.

This Allen, Tx and they have a $60 million stadium paid for by municipal Tax Bond.

148.jpg

149.jpg

Seems like they have more folks in the stands then we do...

I'm sitting/standing somewhere on the green side in the top picture. I've already attended 2 games at that stadium where people were standing because seats were full - should've made it bigger.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back